Canadian Specific Thread

I think there are enough of us to make a space for questions, deals, referrals, whatever (since our stuff is almost always different)

8 Likes

Mabelā€™s labels, which every school has a fundraising code for, has a sale on

It includes the clothing stamp which @star vouches for and looks easier than labels.

I donā€™t have the stamp yet, but the labels are much better than the non custom oneā€™s Iā€™ve tried

5 Likes

Anyone using Checkout 51? Is it worth the hassle of another app?

4 Likes

As a mom who sends two kids to camp every summer and has to label every sock, I looooove and highly recommend the stamp.

I stamp the socks / undies with it, and all the tagless shirts. Iā€™ve stopped buying the tagmates even for the clothes that have tags because the stamp is so much faster.

Last years camp socks still have the names on them.

Mabelā€™s labels are by far my favourite, and they started off as a small woman owned company in Hamilton (I think still woman owned, but not small any longer)

2 Likes

I tried and gave up. It should be easy. It didnā€™t work for my brain

3 Likes

I use it. I donā€™t get many items from their lists but it has been nice to get cheques back because I was buying something. You can cash out at $20 so it can take some time.

2 Likes

Waving hello from Alberta!

1 Like

I am looking for a bank to stash a fairly liquid ā€œemergency fund.ā€ We used to use Tangerine, but their ā€˜high interestā€™ account is only 0.70% now, unless you manage to get an offer, but even those are only on new deposits and this would be a dump it in and leave it unless catastrophe situation. Iā€™d like to be able to get my hands on it within about 2 days or less if it was needed

3 Likes

What are your credit unions like? Mine has a savings account with 4 or 5%

1 Like

do you have any credit unions available through work? I did a deep dive about a month ago when I was very annoyed at Tangerine. There was a credit union with two locations in Bloor West with a decent rate, but the technology might not be friendly.

EQ is a straightforward 2.5% covered by CDIC (I might have a referral code)
There is this weird thing called cash.to which pays out around 4.5% - itā€™s not CDIC, but it invests in CDIC? Reddit loves it.
WealthSimple has a cash product at 4%. Again, isnā€™t directly CDIC, but it is indirectly. They are also running a promo atm based on how much money you move over.

Oh, Canadian Tireā€™s Triangle account maybe? 3.7% atm

2 Likes

I posted the same on MMM last week and the winning answer was wealth simple cash (because I already have other accounts there

3 Likes

I had no idea Canadian Tire had an account!

2 Likes

The only thing is it is not easy to sign up and I donā€™t know how fast you can transfer in/out of it.

I have stuff stashed in EQ, easy access if needed. I have a referral link for it pj doesnā€™t find hers.

1 Like

that is a tough sell vs. wealthsimpleā€™s reputation and marketing dollars

1 Like

Yup - so based on my insider information- 67-108 days to be able to fund the account based on identification Verification.

1 Like

OUCH!

1 Like

Oh yeah - the manager even told me just now that they highly recommends wealthsimple.

2 Likes

that would be so demoralizing for a team

1 Like

Hello from Quebec! I am also looking for a new high interest savings account. Iā€™m currently with Tangerine on a promotion that will end at the end of the month. I think about going with Wealthsimple Cash, but I have Wealthsimple save now and it used to be a great interest rate (which is why I opened the account) but the interest just went down and down during the pandemic and never went back up. I donā€™t want to relive the same thing if I open a Cash account.

I write all this but I will probably open a Cash account in June tho. LOL. I havenā€™t find a better interest rate, not temporary, available in Quebec.

1 Like

I tried Checkout51, but didnā€™t do well with it. I make everything from scratch so not many opportunities for savings. It was more hassle than it was worth.

3 Likes