Buy Nothing Drama

Our group has been renamed from “Buy Nothing <Neighborhood>” to “Community Gifting <Neighborhood>”.

This is what was posted by the admins:

I’m so shocked! This is the complete opposite of the original Buy Nothing principles. Is this change happening everywhere??

8 Likes

Have t heard anything about it in my group.

1 Like

Ours did the same, yep.

1 Like

Mine changed to a different name that I always forget and think “Why is this random thing showing up in my grou- oh right.” (I don’t use Buy Nothing much.)

2 Likes

The group our admins have gone to for admin support changed their name. Our group hasn’t diverged from the original name or deviated too much from the original mission - no multi groups or soft boundaries or tip jars for us.

2 Likes

Tip jars! No, that definitely isn’t a thing in our group. And I haven’t seen any products advertised.

1 Like

None of this has happened in my BN group!

1 Like

I did some Googling and there’s a blog post from the BN founder explaining her thoughts. But of course nothing about “tip jars” or promoting her book, which I’m sure are observations from group admins over the last two years.

I’m lucky, my group in particular is super nice with no drama and also a pretty good mix of income levels, so it works out really well. Everyone is super appreciative of the admins and kind to each other. I feel like it’s really special. In my time as admin I got to witness quite a lot of drama shared in the admin group. At least we get to continue to have what we created, even if it’s under a different name!

I’m wondering if some of the groups that are staying “Buy Nothing” have been taken over by the global BN admins or might be in the future. They used to be an admin in all new groups.

1 Like

Mines keeping the BN name it just means they follow the new rules. Can be in more than one group etc.

1 Like

More info: