Bullet journalling

I know lots of people here like stationary, journalling and have bullet journals. What are your favourite methods, resources, people to follow who have super over the top pretty journals etc?

9 Likes

Oh no oh no oh no why you gotta start this thread I’m gonna have to up my stationary budget.

I love love love this planner which essentially lets you life log with a companion bullet journal: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/kokuyo-jibun-techo-a-3-in-1-planner/pt/949

More to come I have a serious problem.

5 Likes

Are we sticking to only journalling stationery, or are we talking mail too? :wink:

I have bujo’d regularly for years now – it’s very satisfying for me. I don’t use the exact Ryder Carroll method, but something pretty similar. The basics for me:

• Weekly pages (one page, with a side bar for tracking my book reading and for taking notes), plus five lines for each day to write down meetings, etc so that I have it at a glance in situations where I may not want my phone on me
  • Monthly pages (one page, used to keep track of monthly goals as opposed to scheduling – this has walking and exercise goals, de-cluttering goals, saving goals, crafting, whatever I want to commit to that month)
  • TONS of pages for tracking (I have pages for purchases to age; birthdays; tracking reading statistics; things to be grateful for; addresses; things to write; project lists; quotes)
  • TONS of pages for notes (annual review notes; work notes; scratch sheets to figure out financials; etc)

I don’t get super fancy with mine. I use a dot grid Moleskine (that’s my fancy element), a regular Bic pen, and some colored pencils. There’s relatively little color in mine, although every weekly page gets color because I fill in a bar for how much I’ve read that week in each book I have going. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, this is me.

My bullet journal is pretty straightforward (to me) and mostly follows Ryder Carroll’s original system, though I’m constantly making changes to the setup and structure to make it better for me–it’s an iterative process and I don’t expect to ever get to perfect!

I start with an index. The next page is a future log, then a running task list (for to-dos without a particular date). Then I start with a monthly page, just a simple list of dates and the day of the week each is, one line per day and two lines each for weekend days. Daily tasks/events follow that, taking up as much space as they need to. I also have space dedicated to notes on sourdough, headaches, goal review, story plotting/ideas, a reading journal, and other various topics.

Other than the index, future log, and running task list (which are one page each), a full spread gets only one topic, but the next spread can be any topic. When I run out of room in the previous spread with whatever I’m doing, I just turn to the next available spread and note the page numbers in the index. That flexibility is the real magic of the bullet journal system to me.

I love and collect stickers and washi tape, but lately I don’t take the time to use them very often. The color in my journal comes from switching inks in my fountain pen (I’m having fun trying out samples). I’m two-thirds of the way through my current notebook and the index has six different inks in it!

4 Likes

I’ve noticed when I have a lot of chaos or anxiety in my day to day life, I follow a bunch of minimalist bujos on instagram with lots of white space. My favorite account of those was sarahboparah. Just her handwriting alone is calming to me :slight_smile:

My work bullet journal is used daily and is crazy simple - week laid out across the spread, tasks/notes below the date, incoming vendor stuff above. I usually only lay out the current week but skipped ahead to make a blank spread (cuz confidential) then forgot and started filling it in, heh.

I originally used Ryder’s version for work but found it worked better to keep a physical calendar for the month up by my desk so my colleagues can quick check progress of bigger projects. I definitely use it to rapid log things as they come up, though - especially phone calls and meeting notes. Meeting notes just go on the page following my current week. Any random notes - training plans, colleague preferences I need to track, whatever - also get jotted on the next blank page. All of it indexed.

My home bullet journal is pretty close to Ryder’s method and is a total hodgepodge. It’s the first journal method I’ve ever used and not given up because it looked sloppy at some point; or planner that annoyed me because I skipped a whole month. Index is helpful - especially for finding random recipes I’ve scribbled while meal planning, and house project progress. I’ve started using Google Keep for on the go notes so will transcribe from bujo to Google and vice versa. Prior to using Keep I had a little notebook that went everywhere with me so I didn’t accidentally leave my ten pages of wah wah emotional processing laying open around my office :wink:

I’ve only used Rhodia and both journals right now are Goalbooks.

4 Likes

I took some pictures of my current bullet journal setup. I’m using a cheap souvenir notebook; please excuse the fingers holding it open.

May monthly:

Reading schedule:

A recent weekend—I’m doing full page spreads for weekends to help me schedule things (mostly baking):

6 Likes

I am starting a new job at the end of September and am thinking of using BuJo method, though ive never used it before. I currently use a diary and then random post it notes and notepads and its a bit of a mess so I think BuJo might help, but I am not too sure if starting to try it while trying to learn a whole new job at a new company is the best plan.

4 Likes

Oh wow congratulations on the new job!

4 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: Its the same industry, but different company and totally different role. Trying to get some experience outside of current roles to make it easier to get out of the industry.

5 Likes

Good luck with the transition between jobs, getting broader experience sounds like an excellent strategy.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: Hopefully it works out

2 Likes

In your situation, I would recommend starting super small. Set aside a couple of pages for an index. Don’t worry about monthly or daily pages. Just start writing what you want to have written down (like notes about your new job!) and put the topic and page numbers in the index. Start a new page whenever you have a new topic. You’ll have some organization going, and whenever you feel up for it, you can add monthly pages or more decorative spreads or whatever you want to do!

4 Likes

Congratulations @nnls!

My work bujo is mostly a to do list with pages of scribbled notes and then the occasional reference page for things I need to remember and look back on. I do list my reference pages in the index but otherwise it’s a very stripped down method. No spreads, just a few lines to space between days. I also have post it notes stuck in here and there. It’s basically the same scribble things down method I used before but now it’s all in one place in chronological order and I can find information much easier.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I am not very creative/decorative so I was just planning on starting it as per the original BuJo recommendations, I think I would get frustrated trying to make it too fancy

Thank you :slight_smile:

this is the appeal to me, having it in order and easier to find than my current system which seems all over the place

3 Likes

My work has launched an Elearning module and templates for bullet journaling. I might watch it to see what all the fuss is about.

3 Likes