Budgetober STICKERS GETTING SHIPPED - PLEASE FILL IN FORM 🎃👻🦇

I’m probably just here for moral support honestly :joy: I haven’t decided if I’ll participate at all, but I’m rooting you all on! :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf::jack_o_lantern:

9 Likes

Same. I’m too lazy to budget or track, but I can be a cheerleader.

5 Likes

Me three, I can’t meaningfully restrict my budget when there are still a lot of things I need to replace at the new house. But I do covet that cute sticker!

2 Likes

I want a stickerrrr but I will be paying for many wedding things very soon so I don’t think this is my year (or month, anyway).

3 Likes

You don’t have to make wedding part of your budget! Or you can set budget for wedding things! It’s a budget challenge, not a frugal challenge!

6 Likes

That is a good point. I do have a wedding budget but, I also have no idea what to expect (despite extensive research!!), so I have been off by thousands of dollars in both directions already lol

2 Likes

Today I’m going to choose a budgeting system from the list @anomalily kindly gave me. And then… make a budget?

7 Likes

You don’t have to restrict your budget - you can just track it! It’s not meant to be a restriction challenge, just a way to try out budgeting or try a new thing.

5 Likes

I forgot we’re going to be away for 8 days in October on a trip, so I’m going to make the grocery budget $300 for the month. I believe!

4 Likes

I guess I could just look at the 7-month average (in this new house) of my categories so far and just see if I go over or under (ie how lose is the average to the actual). I have been tracking since 2017, but don’t budget per se (I just track into categories and keep track of the totals and averages; very occasionally if a month is ridiculous I might restrict a bit the next month, but not really, it’s more just for the data.)

3 Likes

OK, I decided to go for it and try this, while leaving wedding stuff out of it!

5 Likes

I signed up last year, but then Things happened and I fell off the wagon and did not earn my sticker. This year I will prevail!

I’m a super intense and enthusiastic budgeter with a modest income and a flamboyant, multi-page excel document tracking everything since I graduated from college 7 years ago. But lately I WAY overspend on groceries every month.

My partner and I just moved to the the ‘burbs and have access to costco now, which should make things cheaper overall but I think will also make some months expensive and other months cheap. I don’t know how to budget for costco shopping!

So my goal is to figure it out. My grocery budget has been $300 for a long time and I’m going to keep it there, but I’m going to track my grocery spending more closely keeping a new spreadsheet page of each trip, where we went, and what we spent (my half anyway). Try to do some light meal planning too if I find things creeping up too fast.

My favorite thing about Halloween is EVERYTHING! Spooky season is life!

10 Likes

Ohh if you like spreadsheets, do you want my intense grocery tracking spreadsheet by category? We did it for a few months to get settled into figuring out how groceries were gonna work when we started living together.

5 Likes

Yes please!! That would be awesome.

2 Likes

Thank you @LadyDuck <3 This is helpful guidance.
I’m now thinking a two-fold approach: 1) making a food budget (groceries & dining out) for the month of October; 2) making a specific vacation budget for the week that I’m away.
I appreciate your help!

2 Likes

Due to various life circumstances, my routine has been out of whack, leading to more fast food spending than I care for. My goal for Budgetober is to eat fast food no more than three times and to spend no more than $20. (I’m going to put a $20 bill in my wallet and, when it’s gone, no more Taco Bell.)

When I look at this, it feels like such a tiny goal, but I think meeting it will feel like a big accomplishment because it will require thought and planning and will likely lead to eating more healthily.

7 Likes

I love the simplicity of this. It’s the cash envelope for just one category, and you have a concrete motivation behind it. <3 Do you need to plan for having snacks/energy bars/easy to eat meals around in order to help with having other choices?

For me, it’s usually when life gets hectic that I can’t plan ahead for food and then I end up eating whatever’s available. If I at least have nuts at my desk, a clif bar in my workout bag, or a frozen dinner in the freezer, I usually can avoid the panicked buying.

9 Likes

I have created my budget with the help of Meowkins. Let’s do this!

9 Likes

I rely on routine and even the tiniest changes can really throw me for a loop. We started back at the office at the beginning of August - I’m doing 3 days at the office and 2 at home - and it’s been difficult to adjust. Throw in a week of vacation and a week of non-COVID plague and I’m a ball of dissociating anxiety. (Not as dramatic as it sounds…)

There will definitely have to be planning - mostly making sure that I have breakfast and lunch for the three days I’m in the office. I don’t get fast food while I’m at the office but I haven’t been bringing enough to eat during the day, so all the fast food places I drive past to get home are awfully tempting. Kind bars and a jug of cashews will likely make their way into my office drawer.

4 Likes

OK I need to do Budgetober this year! I have been spending more than I would like on take out. This October I have 2 goals:

1. Pack my lunch for work every day except for one; special takeout day TBD
  2. Spend $100 at most on treats/takeout, including fancy coffee

How will I do this?
-Track in my planner
-Take out $100 in cash this Friday and when it’s gone, no more treats

18 Likes