Budgetober STICKERS GETTING SHIPPED - PLEASE FILL IN FORM šŸŽƒšŸ‘»šŸ¦‡

Welpā€¦ I didnā€™t bring lunch to the office yesterday and ended up going to Chipotle. That (8.21) + McDonaldā€™s breakfast (9.27) + my first weekā€™s spending on Sunday mean I have exceeded my planned budget of $20 for the month.

So, this is an adjustment post. Rather than trying to abstain for the rest of the month, Iā€™m going to double my budget to $40. That still represents quite a cut from my August and September fast food spending and probably would have been a more realistic number in the first place.

This leaves me with $13.25 or the rest of October. Definitely doable if I lean into planning my office food more intentionally, as I did last week.

11 Likes

Second Week:

Welp. I wildly underestimated how much Iā€™d need to spend on groceries and eating out. Partially because I need to buy my brother food when I get a ride somewhere, and also because my pantry is barren, and staples cost money all together.

Groceries: $103.44/$250 (Iā€™m going to add $50 to this category to make sure I can stock up my pantry, new budget amount, $300)

Restaurants: $70 /$60 (I either need to treat my brother eating out as a travel expense, or add about $70 to the budget, for a total of $130)

Ikea didnā€™t pan out for the bedframe, but I ordered the mattress and bedframe online! They should be arriving in the next couple weeks. Next up: Sheets and duvet covers.

8 Likes

Checking in a day early just in case bachelorette shenanigans prevent me from getting on tomorrow!

I did not buy any new gifts this week, but I did reach out to my mom and sister about splitting a new tent for my brother. Itā€™ll be a little more expensive than the tortilla press I wanted to get him, but with the three of us splitting, should still be in my budget!

8 Likes

Updating now, because Iā€™m going to forget tomorrow. My spending is pretty much a trashfire? But, like, the extra firey kind?

Though, the only actual trash fire Iā€™ve ever seen was in one ā€˜a them circular little buddies that populate governmental areas. And we never figured out how it caught fire, cause I picked it up and dumped it right over the leeward rail.

Which is why @anomalily shouldnā€™t go on a cargo ship; too short to reach over the side rails.

7 Likes

Week Two check-in

Budget = $1,400.00
Total Spent ($1,115.12)
Total remaining = $284.88

I will most likely need to wave my magic wand and make an adjustment but Iā€™m going to try and hold out as long as possible. The remaining $284.88 needs to cover my cellphone, car insurance, and any groceries and gas needed for the rest of the month but it might actually be possibleā€¦ weā€™ll see how things look at the end of week 3.

2 Likes

boodget

Reminder

Friday, October 15th is the second week checkin. If you missed the first week THAT IS OKAY. (I did, so join in with me and weā€™ll start now!)

Nothing has to be perfect! Just check in by posting on this thread and mention where youā€™re at with your budgetober objectives.

This can be posting how much youā€™ve spent this week, what problems you ran into with your plan, or asking for help if you need it.

After you post your check-in, I will get you a special-edition week 2 budgetober badge. If you still havenā€™t gotten your badge by Sunday, please bat signal me and Iā€™ll make sure you do!

9 Likes

Week 2 Check In:

Date night: $0/$66
Household: $40/$50
Groceries: $280/$600*
Books: $14/$30
Dining out: $144/300
Personal care: $0/$75
Baby supplies: $25/$150
Home improvement: $1271/$2000

*** We are still doing well on groceries but Iā€™m super annoyed that we spent an extra $100. The people who installed our new fridge left it on demo mode and we didnā€™t realize it, so we lost everything that could be spoiled. Wednesday morning I had to take a half hour off work to run to the grocery store and replace everything that was lost, which came to $101. We would be doing REALLY well this month if that hadnā€™t happened.

6 Likes

Week 1 and Week 2 Budgetober Checkins

Personal Budgetober Budget: $983.50/$1,266.88
biggest concern here is that groceries are already pretty high for how early in the month it is. We went to the discount grocery when we were hungry without a plan, and came home with a lot of stock-ups. But I did get heaps of clif and luna bars at very discount prices - something Iā€™ve needed to have in my skating bag.

I am currently working a LOT between OMD, studying, and day job, and having trouble prioritizing doing the things I know I need to do around meal prep even though they reap good benefits later.

Week 1 + 2 Personal Budget details

Household & Insurance ā€“ $707.11

• Rent: $615/$615
  • Water, Commons, Garbage, Sewer: $32.50/32.50
  • Trash: $7.50/$7.50
  • Electricity: $0/$37.11
  • Household Items (detergent, TP, toothpaste, razors, etc): $22.30/$15.00^ - TP, and deodorant

Biking/Transit ā€“ $0/0

Giving + Mutual Aid ā€“ $0/100

Basic Food ā€“ $109.10/184.77

• Basic Groceries: $106.11/$145.00
  • Treats (non-essential snacks): $2.99/$23.77
  • Coffee/Tea For Home: $0/$16.00

Health ā€“ $26.47/$15.00^

Optometry : $20.98/15.00 (got 4 boxes contact solution while on sale)
Random : $5.49/$0 pill splitter

Figure Skating ā€“ $125/$205.00

Ice time: $125/$135.00 (paid for ice time through december)
Coaching: $0/$40.00
Bunga Pads : $/0$30.00

Looking Good ā€“ $40/$0

• **Clothing: $40.59/$0 - went to the first lolita swap meet in 2 years and purchased two thingsā€¦ good value for what I got, but didnā€™t really need. Using them for halloween though?

Extra Food + Drink ā€“ $5/$45.00

• Restaurants: $5/$30 - got some impulse pumpkin spice knots from the pizza place because PMS
  • Coffee Out: $0/$15

OMD Budget: $773.70/$1,200
OMD budget is going okay, but I havenā€™t been invoiced by contractors yet for the month so itā€™ll be a bit. Did a big restock for the holiday season since I was down to TWO sticker sheets (out of an order of 1,250). I went with a new printer for the kiss-cut sheets and theyā€™re arriving today so I hope they are good quality. They were about 1/3 the cost of the printer I went with before and allowed me to do more kisscuts (both US made).

Week 1 and 2 OMD budget details

Overall income goal: $800.56/$1,100.00

Cost of Goods Sold: $500.89/$544.24

Stickers : $368.36/$441.00 (500 sheet order - 6 month supply - 2 other orders)
Shopify : $29/29
Shipping : $103.53/$74.24^^

Operating Expenses: $272.81

Office Supply Restock for Holiday Shipping : $70.25/$80.00
Mailgun : $8.57/$9.00
Phone : $150.00/$150.00 (6 month contract)
Convertkit : $0/$49.00
Hosting Fees : $30/$30
Backups and Storage $7.00/$26.47
Adobe Creative Cloud $0/$52.99

Contractors: $0/$385.00

Engineering/Editing $300.00 (estimate)
Transcription: $85.00 (estimate)

Charitable Contributions: $0/$75

5 Likes

Week 2!

Groceries: $86/$300

We only needed a small stock up this week from Freddieā€™s and I was careful to eat beforehand (We also got our flu shots on this trip so go us!). Additionally, I spent $10 at Safeway last Saturday buying treats to share for a training at work. It seems like we are doing AMAZING but Iā€™m going to hold off any prideful feelings until we do a Costco run, which I think will happen next weekend.

Other food categories:

Treats/eating out alone: $52/$130
Eating out with friends: $70/$300

That eating out with friends is going to JUMP this weekend though because Iā€™m having two/three meals out with my best friend and probably buying a drink. But itā€™s all part of our plan for going to our first punk show since 2019!! I am SO ready. :love_you_gesture:t2:

5 Likes

Week 2 Update:

Iā€™m very much on track. Mostly I am tracking my general merchandise/shopping this month. Progress: $0/$100 so far!

I also had an overall budget for the month and I donā€™t think Iā€™ll come anywhere near that as I simply havenā€™t been buying anything outside fixed expenses and groceries.

5 Likes

woo, you are VERY on track! got expected shopping coming up?

1 Like

Week 2 check-in. Goal again is 25 percent less spending on food this month versus last monthā€™s insanely embarrassing outlay.

As I expected we were over for the week but not out of control. Plus we are still under the two week budgeted amount so Iā€™m happy with that. We didnā€™t cope with our loss with food so double win. Life tried to pile on but we stuck to the meal plan.

This coming week will be another test. I have an out patient surgery mid next week. Goal is to avoid stress purchased take away meals by having a strong meal plan. Working on that today.

7 Likes

I need to buy a new headlight for my bicycle as mine broke but Iā€™m still mad about it and so will likely procrastinate this purchase. Otherwise, I donā€™t foresee any other shopping needs at the moment.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in a similar camp. I have an $8 phone holder for bike handlebars and now Iā€™ve had TWO stolen. I donā€™t want to buy another, but Iā€™m also annoyed without one. Itā€™s not expensive enough to take off every time I walk inside, but replacing it is so annoying. So Iā€™m procrastinating and punishing only myself.

7 Likes

Checking in to say Iā€™m locked out of my Chase account online because apparently itā€™s a bad idea to use a rural landline for 2FA since they are so very unreliable. May I have a deadline extension until tomorrow when I have time to deal with this bullshit? And maybe some spoons?

4 Likes

Re last week- The Costco didnā€™t have TP lol. Weā€™re not too low, but I also donā€™t want to change out tp Brand!

Coffee Shops: $10/30 (coast trip)
Restaurants: $30/100
Groceries: 34.5% of last months total. Weā€™re topped up right now- just got an imperfect box (we only do once every 2-3 weeks) and stopped at Trader Joeā€™s when we were nearby, and a regular grocery pickup today.

5 Likes

I will try to send you some!

3 Likes

Week 2 budget update: realized I set my grocery budget way too low, but trying to stick to it. Found another thing I didnā€™t account for. This has been really helpful in keeping an eye on what these random things are that end up taking a lot of space and is giving me some fun ideas for life changes that would result in more responsible spending. No useless or random purchases.

10 Likes

Week 2: still at $52.18/$300 for groceries. We skipped getting groceries this week but apparently had enough in the fridge/pantry to keep us fed.

I might treat myself to some extra snacks next time I do get groceries because we seem to be eating snacks more than meals these days.

3 Likes

No spending in the tracked category in the last week. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll make up for it tomorrow :joy:

1 Like