Budgetober STICKERS GETTING SHIPPED - PLEASE FILL IN FORM šŸŽƒšŸ‘»šŸ¦‡

I feel like Iā€™ve already been excessively spendy this month.
Groceries: $85.38/500 - not bad, but our trunk freezer just fucked off, which could up our costs.
Restaurants: $65.29/200
Fun stuff: $18.68 spent, $30 earned (spent must be < earned). Most of this was that I had put my audible account on suspension, and didnā€™t realize it was already October and so the suspension period was over.

7 Likes

Week one check-in: Iā€™m tracking my spending and creating a budget, and am not optimizing just yet. What Iā€™ve learned and done so far:

• Iā€™ve calculated some numbers for monthly expenses that I didnā€™t know previously, like my dogā€™s monthly medication expenses.
  • I still need to sit down with my wife and get some numbers from her for areas that she manages: e.g. her retirement contributions and car insurance.
  • Even though my beauty spending is much lower than it was a few years ago, it still exists and should be included in my budget.
  • I used to be pretty frugal by normal people standards (not online frugal standards), but Iā€™ve loosened up over the last 2-3 years. Iā€™d like to get back into those good-for-me habits, like bringing food to the airport instead of buying it.
  • Budget updates: raccoons have started using our backyard as a bathroom, so that will trigger some unplanned spending on our end. Living in the country is all fun and games until you have to shovel a 6 inch pile of raccoon dookey.
8 Likes

Week 1:

-Food: $178.78/$500
-Clothes: $-19.45/$300 (I returned some shoes and then bought a different pair, and this is the difference lol)
-Recreation/health: $87.65/$300

Not too bad so farā€¦

6 Likes

Week 1 update:

I set up a budget! I donā€™t know that Iā€™m actually following it yet; Iā€™ll need more data. But it is making me more aware of my spending. So I set it up and Iā€™ve been dutifully putting every transaction into its correct category in Mint. So far Iā€™ve realized that I spend far more on my daughter than I thought I did. ā€œYouā€™d like me to meet your every whim, teenager? OK! Letā€™s do that!ā€ So Iā€™m going to have to do some hard thinking on that.

Sometimes I donā€™t know how to categorize things for her. Like clothing. Sometimes itā€™s necessary, you are supposed to clothe your kids, but sometimes itā€™s more like a gift. Something she wants but doesnā€™t necessarily need. Do I categorize it as a gift, or clothing? Same for fun things. I have a category called ā€œKids Activitiesā€ that I was sort of thinking would be for things like piano lessons or soccer. But if I buy concert tickets for the teenager, is that an activity or a gift?

I donā€™t know. I spend a lot on her lately but sheā€™s also had a very hard year and has been sick and Iā€™m just willing to do anything to make her happy/give her things to look forward to/keep her going, I guess. I didnā€™t used to be so indulgent and she didnā€™t used to be so expensive. But she got sick and sad and I got desperate and the budget I think I should have does not match my actual spending. Iā€™m not sure if I should just accept that and adjust the budget or make a plan to reign in the spending. I donā€™t really care much about saving but I care everything about my kids so I guess thatā€™s why Iā€™ve made the choices Iā€™ve made so far. She at least recognizes that Iā€™ve been spoiling her rotten lately, doesnā€™t think itā€™s normal or expect it. Can I keep her humble while also giving her the world? Does optimizing your money even matter if your baby is ailing??

Sorry, this got a little off-topic. Iā€™m terrible and staying focused on finances. You know me. :rofl:

18 Likes

$75.50/$100 remaining. So I guess weā€™re on track!

6 Likes

Most of our budget categories are either set bills (ie water/electric/internet) or sinking funds. So, Iā€™m only checking in for the categories that I have some control over.

Date night: $0/$50
Household: $0/$50
Groceries: $92/$600
Books: $14/$30
Dining out: $30/300
Personal care: $0/$75
Baby supplies: $0/$150
Home improvement: $389/$2000

9 Likes

27/62 of budgetober folks have checked in and gotten their cute week one Bat Budget!

Good job! I still havenā€™t checked in :joy:

15 Likes

week one check in:

I decided to focus on three categories in my budget, where I seem to be overspending the most, and Iā€™ll just be doing the weekly updates on those rather than the whole thing. Iā€™m also tracking my no-spend days.

hobbies: 50/130 - bought stickers (planned) and fabric (unplanned)
house: 0/50
personal hygiene: 0/100
no spend: 3/8 (it might be 4 but i think iā€™m going to get takeout for dinner tonight)

so far so good!

7 Likes
Original Post

Week One: 3 bubble tea drinks, $14.41 (22.5% out of $64)

I ran into some unexpected considerations.

Talking about food, comfort eating

Human nature/economics: restricting access to something promotes substitution. I had alcoholic drinks or other treats in lieu of bubble tea because I havenā€™t eliminated my need for ingestible comfort and pleasure.

So whatā€™s my highest aim for this budget challenge? Less junk consumption or less spending at an overly indulgent level on junk? I think some daily food comfort/enjoyment is needed and reasonable, so I think the more important aim is that Iā€™m not spending a ridiculous amount on fancy sugar drinks. By a dollar-metric Iā€™m on track. :ok_hand:

I had to think about how I counted loyalty discounts and app credits, with regards to tracking spending. Iā€™ve decided that discounts that are specific to a store (e.g. the discount could only be used at the bubble tea house) are fine to include as part of spending (so they reduce how much of the budget Iā€™ve spent). Credits from take-out apps (that could be spent at restaurants other than bubble tea houses) do not get included in spending (so even though Iā€™m not out-of-pocket for an order I still count the expenditure as though I am, so I deduct the pre-credit spending from the budget).

I understand that I am taking all this very seriously and thatā€™s just how I am. :wink::bubble_tea:

13 Likes

Week 1: 114.87/300.00 grocery budget. I didnā€™t keep great track of what items we bought, but we are going on vacation next week and some stuff wonā€™t be consumed until we get back (like coffee beans because Iā€™m not coming back to no coffee!)

(Since we will be on vacation next week there will be no grocery spending.)

6 Likes

I also have the same issue and over think this way too much. I actually split my ibotta cash outs proportionally into the budget categories that the original coupons were for :joy:

cw alcohol/food

On the substitution question, itā€™s a good question. When I quit drinking alcohol for (mostly) budget reasons, I craved sugar a lot more. It took awhile for that to kinda peter out. it helped the budget because sugar is cheaper when not fermented but was a trade off

7 Likes

I decided that the $18 I spent on a roast chicken Thursday night didnā€™t go into the spreadsheet because it was part of the gift card my MIL gave us. We wouldnā€™t have purchased takeout instead, if we hadnā€™t had the gift card I probably would have made eggs or fritters.

8 Likes

Checking in on October 8: On track! Currently drinking, though, which will be the test. Wish me luck! :revolving_hearts:

13 Likes

Week 1 update before I forget/fall asleep/etc.

Food $108/350*

Some stocking up (meat), plus a happy hour. Will get $30 back from a friend shortly, but Venmo hasnā€™t cleared yet.

Clothes $0/$150

Still need to deal with this

In-progress projects $82/$100*

Technically I got $36 back on a refund card which was for some reason FedExā€™d to me rather than just having the money refunded to me on my credit card. Not sure what Iā€™ll use it for, but I still had to go buy stain elsewhere so itā€™s kind of annoying.

Sports/Hobbies $24/$10

Oops, but theyā€™re doing one more play-in-the-park this year so I bought a ticket.

8 Likes

Still at $52.18 for groceries. This early in the month keeping to a $300 seems very possible.

10 Likes

Week 1 check in (Iā€™m only tracking food):

65% of my budget is spent. That includes prepaying for food through the 17th, plus or minus a couple meals. So, 65% for 54% of the month. But I think I can still come in on budget, I front-loaded some costs by ā€¦ buying some pantry staples for the first time in months and actually cooking and freezing some stuff!.. itā€™s been a rough pandemic yā€™all.

7 Likes

Week 1 check in. Goal is taking at least two hours time on all things cash flows.
Itā€™s been about 3.5 hours this week! A solid start!

6 Likes

Week 1 check-in:
~$65/$300 on food spending, most of which is being generous with my share of takeout orders as I tour my way around the Midwest visiting friends and family.

Upcoming weekā€™s expenses will be a grocery stop of some kind to get road meals/snacks to minimize the amount of places I have to go inside/interact with people, and a grocery shop when I get home to restock perishables/dairy for coffee.

6 Likes

Week 1 checkin ā€“ Today was my move-in day for my new apartment, so I almost forgot. (oh no!) But! This week Iā€™m much, much closer to figuring out my baseline for my rent/utilities and I got a good-enough deal on internet. Electricity is going to be a mystery until next month, but I can live with that.

On the stay-on-budget-for-moving-costs front, I found that a local friend is helping her dad downsize. Iā€™m buying a lot of the furniture I need directly from her in the coming weeks. I decided to buy a costco membership to help buy new-apartment staples in bulk (toilet paper, dish soap, laundry detergent, trash can liners, etc). No move-in expenses to report other than the costco membership.

8 Likes

Week 1 Check in: not gone over any planned categories yet. We have bought some planned purchases from our wishlist.

9 Likes