šŸŽƒ Budgetober Challenge 22: Stickers ShippingšŸ¦‡ Fill in Form

I forgot it was October today and already spent $8 on fancy coffee for a friend who was having a bad day and am about to go spend more $ on a coffee shop morning for me because I need some down time that doesnā€™t involve being on my computer.

5 Likes

I was drawn in by the stickers (@anomalily the email marketing works!)

Iā€™d like to track my non-essential, non-food, non-house-related spending this month to better understand where Iā€™m spending money to seek comfort.

• the house spending is its own thing
  • Iā€™m already intimately familiar with how my spending habits are with food & eating out

I donā€™t actually know how much I spend here so Iā€™ll set what sounds like a generous budget of $500 and see where that takes us :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

So I talked to my husband and figured out what we need to track. An extremely expensive category, filled with mysteries, and horrifically embarrassing. I think that probably checks all the boxes of ā€œah I should pay attention to thisā€. Avoidance- the classic symptom I should probably deal with something!

That category is the ā€œgeneral householdā€. It became a catchall after we had a baby and I didnā€™t want to track down to very minute categories like supplements, and workout gear, and stuff like that. So this is a catchall that has things like any toys, any furnishings for the house, any random things like photo books for our daughter, supplements or medicationā€˜s, camping gear, books,? Iā€™m honestly not sure I even want to be honest yet how big this category is. But letā€™s say that the average over the last six months equals one. I want to be at 0.75 as my goal.

Okay Iā€™m being yelled at by a toddler, more later.

11 Likes

so this is just my opinion as a total YNAB fanatic, but you might find it helpful to make that a LIIIITTLE more granular & thus trackable! youā€™ve talked about the following things: supplements, workout gear, toys, home improvement, photo books, baby gear too I think, camping gear, books. How about like, two or three discrete categories from these? Like:
kiddo: toys, baby gear, photo books
health: supplements, workout gear, camping gear

& leave the rest where it is in ā€œgeneral householdā€?

however you do it I wish you luck! looking at something with clear eyes, whether itā€™s one category or a hundred, is the first step so GOOD JOB being honest with yourself about that! and I am soooo the same way, oh boy Iā€™m avoiding thisā€¦ probably time to look at it :weary:

3 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s part of the goal this month, to figure out what exactly is in there. But it has definitely been a symptom of a bunch of life triage last couple years. Iā€™ve diligently tracked our spending for the better part of a decade now, and itā€™s not like itā€™s a make or break it category for our income and outgo balancing, but I do hate the feeling of not knowing how things all add up to a whole. Part of the challenge is straight up time and energy constraint. My husband buys and is reimbursed for a bunch of stuff for work, and I use Mint to aggregate everything, and itā€™s really bad about re-categorizing stuff that Iā€™ve already categorized. Iā€™ve tried different tracking systems in the past though (including YNAB lol) and I just donā€™t have the energy to successfully make the switch. Anyway, Iā€™m kind of curious to see if thereā€™s a substantial amount of it that is secretly my husbandā€˜s work expenses. :woman_shrugging: Or if itā€™s like 75% kid or what.

4 Likes

Iā€™m in!!
This month Iā€™m focusing on lowering grocery and misc spending, month 2 of my goal of saving an extra 1k a month.
Will post budget later today!

7 Likes

Ugh I already spent $260 on groceries and household stuff. I budgeted $340 for this paycheck with one more week to go.

6 Likes

1st of the month! Budgetober! I am in!!

I need to rein in spending on so many levels, to try and trick my brain into thinking that saving is just as interestingā€¦ no, more interesting, than a series of quick hits.

Been told that telling myself something is difficult then makes it more difficult. Which makes sense. But I emotionally spend, and plenty of emotions are sloshing around all over the place at the moment, soā€¦ Yeah.

So. Letā€™s re-wire this. Sā€™gonna be a blastā€¦

6 Likes

Week 0 update:

• Handled all the low-hanging fruit on the spreadsheet - updated savings/investment account numbers (which, yikes, hadnā€™t checked the Vanguard in a bit). Last time it was fully updated was March, so thereā€™s 6 months of expenses to go through.
2 Likes

You might try and see if simplifi works for you and your bankā€¦it has fun badges and stuff and I find myself very motivated by it :joy: I know you like games so it might work for you

4 Likes

Oh perfect! Iā€™ll give it a go. Thanksā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah. Seems itā€™s US only. Oh well. Will look for something similar. Gamification is a good idea for me for sureā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, I wondered if it might be US only. Have you tried Plum? I would love to hear your experience with it

2 Likes

Just about to look into Plum. Iā€™ve not really tried anything yet. One of my banks does savings pots (but also refuses to work with external apps). I do find that useful though. On another account I have a ā€˜save the changeā€™ feature from transactions. Thatā€™s about the liimit of my experience with such things. Seems like we do have some options, but I guess just such a small market compared to the US. Thanks tho. Will move Plum to the top of the list.

Edit to add: Thinking about it, I suppose the fact that I use three different bank accounts for different aspects of my life, is a simplified version of one of these apps. Hmmmā€¦

1 Like

Okay, Plum installed, and linked to the two of my three accounts which it can link to. So itā€™s doing its big brain stuff in the background. Letā€™s see how this goes. Thanks again for all the advicesā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

And Happy Budgetober all!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :bat: :jack_o_lantern:

3 Likes

Hmmm. This seems like a good time to revisit my overall budget now that I have a better idea of what the ā€œlumpyā€ expenses are - last monthā€™s tires were more expensive than I expected, so I feel like I need to recalibrate for a lot of things in that category.

I also need to make some decisions about Christmas.

I will use my favorite tool to track all this - a tablet of accounting paper. I will also sharpen a new pencil!

3 Likes

day 1 - I have figured out based on my day rate (which is how Iā€™m billing my primary client) how much I will keep in chequing for cash flow, and how much I will put aside for taxes (rounding up based on my anticipated annual incoming, what I anticipate my portion of CPP will be, and the HST etc.)

4 Likes

Week 0 & Goal Setting for the Month:

$2000 for college (This is about $300 more than I owe This Month but I think that wiggle room might come in handy/might prepay a little for Novemberā€™s due date)
$50 for Little Treats
$226 for Campus Food

very into simplifi as well!!!

5 Likes
Rent 1700
Car payment 320
Car Insurance 350
Apt Insurance 23
Internet 46
Streaming 71
Electricity ~140
car Gas 90
COBRA for dad 700
Groceries 350 (goal is 250-275)
Therapy 150
Google Fin Phone 75
Misc Spending 200 (goal is 100-150)
Savings Goal 1000

Thereā€™s my budget for the month. Iā€™ve cut out the butcher box order thanks to a ton of food in the freezer courtesy of @Meowkins cleaning out her freezer. Instead of 350 on groceries and 200 on misc spending I want to bring it down to 250-275 on groceries and 150 on Misc stuff this month. This will require creativity, no alcohol, no eating out. I am so game for this challenge! My reward is a training in Orlando at the end of the month where I will stay an extra day and celebrate Halloween with friends!

9 Likes

Ok Iā€™m definitely doing this.

We have meal planned dinners for the whole month and done our first grocery shop. It was a lot. Iā€™ll tally it up later, once I do that I hope to be able to set some kind of grocery/food target spend. I havenā€™t tracked grocery spending since we were able to come in under $1000/month total and that is definitely not going to work anymore :grimacing:

10 Likes