Budget Meetings

@meerkat, thanks! That’s good to know. We have a small house, with provincial and federal rebates for switching to solar. We aren’t going to do anything until we free up some money in future years. First we have to renovate a basement bath.

We had a semi budget meeting today. Couldn’t do it at the beginning of the month because we had company straight through to this past Sunday. I finally got all the figures together and gave Hubby the news. We’re still in the black…just barely. I decided I have to be more careful about spending money.

3 Likes

Well that was a surprise! I gave up on the budget meetings this month because of Hubby’s defensive and aggressive attitude. He noticed it. Yesterday he asked why we didn’t have the budget meeting for July. I told him the truth…I was sick and tired of dealing with his attitude.

He surprised me by pushing the issue. He said he knew all the numbers. I said, “Great! I don’t!” They’re all on his laptop, of which I do not know the password to access it should anything happen to him. He indicated where the password was, but still wouldn’t show it to me or tell me it. That indicates to me that it isn’t really where he says it is, but I’ll check one day while he’s out to see for sure.

Long story short, he printed off the Quicken reports I wanted and I printed out the net worth statement. We overspent by $3700 CAD. Most of it was one off or once every ten years expenses. A new water heater installed, tree culling/pruning, new eyeglasses for him, and driving company around our part of Canada to see sights. The latter will be severely curtailed in the future.

As a result our net worth dropped below $500,000. I’m not concerned because it is now based on the appraised value of the house. Plus we have two defined benefit pensions, CPP, OAS and GIS that are not included in that.

Still…big score! Hubby asked for a budget meeting!

16 Likes