Budget Challenge: No-Stress November (Nov 1 - Nov 30)

I just searched cheese and pepperoni. Please direct your questions elsewhere.

5 Likes

Checking in;

Total Budget Goal: $2,000 spent $1,656.40, getting close to my limit but not much left for the rest of the month, just food, etc to get me through. All major bills have been paid.
Clothing: Goal completed last week. 2 out of my 4 ThredUp packages have been delivered, one more is scheduled for today and the last one by the end of the week. I have started a major purge of my clothes and shoes. I estimate that I have about 20-25% of my clothes/shoes ready to be dontated/sold and more to go.
Massage: Goal $100 - Achieved. I had my massage on Friday, it was wonderful. I even went to yoga the next morning to add to my no-stress Novemeber. My work reimburses up to $30 a month for gym memberships so the $18 drop in fee will be reimbursed. I am planning on going one more time this month.

5 Likes

What about Dave? Does he not like treats?

4 Likes

Dave is a cat of mystery. He is rarely seen and won’t approach humans for treats. We pretend he doesn’t exist and he likes it that way.

5 Likes

Update: I have made the Solid List Of Things I Need From My Spreadsheets. They actually seem eminently doable. I got thissssssss.

(Smacky, give T’challa a good headscritch for me? He is a Good Kitten.)

6 Likes

Hello friends! Read this!
Time to check in on monthly goal progress!
Today is the Trans Day of Remembrance. If at any point between now and monday-ish you check in with an update I will donate a dollar to my local GLBTTQ+ resource centre.
If you donate any amount to a resource centre, legal action fund, someone’s gofundme for transition surgery, or anything like that, I will donate two dollars.
Let’s do this.

16 Likes

@Smacky, you rock.

1 Like

I need to dig upthread for mine

Found it. No wonder I couldn’t remember my monthly goals; I only had a goal for the first week :rofl:

I’m absolutely nailing the no stress part of this!

My spending goals this past week have mostly been about not spending money on 1. a stand mixer; 2. coffee; 3. some other kitchen thingie that I was obsessed with before the stand mixer

I’ve bought none of those things :+1:

My personal New Year is next week so my goals for the remainder of this week are to continue not spending money on expensive things I don’t need and to review my 2019 spending and make a rough spending plan for my coming year.

9 Likes

Missed a weekend in there, lol. Still, even in the hospital I checked Mint and made sure purchases (cafeteria and coffee shops for DH) were going through and categorizing. Today just got on desktop (can’t do it mobile) to mark duplicate transactions. Also paid a medical bill as it came in. Goals met!

9 Likes

OK well now even if I meet my (modest) goal I’m going to feel like a slacker. :laughing:

10 Likes

Haha, it was more for an illusion of control than anything :joy:

5 Likes

I think this deserves a special trophy. Something like “Baby’s First Budget.”

6 Likes

This week (and next week) was focused on work again, but I did put garden items and gift cards on my Christmas list, let’s count that as “budgeting for next year”. Like the garden itself, my planning process is more fallow than active right now, but it’s still in the back of my mind.

6 Likes

My spending has been super high but my stress is definitely lower than it was last week and the week before!

More spent in shopping because PRETTY SHOES. My lyft costs are up too, a lot of that is medical related though since I’m going to appointments on my own now. Dates will go way up this weekend because my husband and I are going away (just for one night and the hotel was on points, but still, meals out, etc). However, I’m still hitting my savings goals out of the park! My goal was $700 into our e-fund a month and I’ve already shoveled $1,000 in there this month! Life on easy mode is…easy.

7 Likes

I pulled my cash money out of my bank account last week and almost but not quite spent it all (win)

I ate more pizza (win) including walking to pick it up so I stayed on budget

I did much Christmas shopping (win)

I introduced the pilot to my parents last night (survived)

I survived last week.

This week goals:
Cash today
More Christmas shopping
Start Christmas cards (3 addresses recieved thank you very much)
More easy days
Deposit 4 (2 months worth) of clinic cheques to the business account and do a 1h glucose tolerance test.
Find a local trans resource group.

That seems like enough

6 Likes

I gave in to temptation and ordered Panera Bread for lunch yesterday. Oh well, no-stress November right?

Planning on closing out old saving’s account this week and depositing the money from it into my new credit union savings account.

2 Likes

CHECKIN:

Restaurants: $238.50
Groceries: $421.22
Gas: $39.53

TRACKED :white_check_mark:

I may make a goal next month for myself to just not go out to eat. When my restaurant food is more than half my grocery food AND my grocery food is high, that’s not the best.

5 Likes

I try to donate money instead of items because our local food bank says that they can buy more for a $1 than I can, and it makes it easier for them to manage throughout the year. Generally it is one month of my e-fund savings, though last year we gave the money (and much more) to a friend going through a rough patch.

I donate in Feb, and then I figure I am good for another 12 months if anyone asks or I am feeling generalized guilt for not visibly participating.

3 Likes

my update
brought my lunch to work every day this week
finished holiday shopping for my family gift exchange and (probably) for my team at work

still have not dealt with VPN or benefits.

4 Likes

Week 3 update:

• 401k / IRA rollover completed. Officially bought the new funds today.
  • $47 for groceries this week. Monthly total of $142. I’m beating even my wildest dreams on this one, my budget is $300.
  • Meal planning is still happening.
  • Tracking what I eat is not.
  • Still using YNAB. I over-paid my credit card by 10 cents. In YNAB’s view I have over-spent the credit card category by 10 cents and that is a big PROBLEM.
  • I’m still using and tracking Toodledo, though I could be doing better here.
6 Likes