Bookclub - August 2020 The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. By C.S. Lewis

Voting will go until July 18th for the August book.

• Not a Sound by Heather Gudenkauf
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Waredrobe by C.S. Lewis
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

0 voters

Does it show that I have voted? When I look at the poll I see my choices checked off, and a “Vote now” button, but when I click the button it just goes back to being a “vote now” button.

1 Like

Yup it shows that you voted.

2 Likes

Its a tie so I will pick “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.”

2 Likes

I’m about halfway through. I’ve seen the movie but never read the book. I just love it. I’m listening to it and it’s performed by Michael York, who is doing a great job. I love when the audiobooks are well done and the reader really gets into the story.

2 Likes

I am not rereading this book this month, since I read it less than a year ago (I’m actually on The Last Battle in my Narnia reread), but I’m excited to discuss it!

I highly recommend this ongoing essay series by Matt Mikatalos about Lewis’s Christian themes–there are five essays specifically about TLTWTW, and his plan is to go through all of Lewis’s books.
https://www.tor.com/series/the-great-c-s-lewis-reread/

3 Likes

awesome, I will check that out and I plan to read the rest of the books in this series too.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I often find as I reread childhood favorites that the Christian/moralistic themes that I didn’t notice as a kid are very, very pronounced as an adult. I read Narnia for the first time at the age of 26, so it was only ever super pronounced!

2 Likes

I’ve just finished and really enjoyed the read/listen. It’s been on my list for years so really happy to finally get to it.

3 Likes

Yay! What was your favorite aspect?

1 Like

I was really into mythology and native spiritual stories when I was very young, so I’ve found it interesting that while as an adult I notice and understand the references better, I also notice that the scenes or characters that resonated most as a kid were in fact the most obviously allegorical or parallel to other spiritual/religious stories.

2 Likes

I always struggle pinpointing what I really like about a book but I think in this case it was the language and how the Narrator talks to the reader. I really like books that address the audience in some way. I feel like I’m apart of the story.

2 Likes