Book Club

I wonder if we should lean in any particular direction when making book option selections. Like, should I make all of the options for “my” month of one particular genre, or should I select widely from different genres?

2 Likes

Oh, and how many options should we give in a vote? Because I currently have… 15 in my list of options.

2 Likes

Haha oh wow! I think more than four options might be too much for me.

2 Likes

yeah I figured it was too much but I needed to know how many would be good for a “reasonable” human. 4 it is!

Oooh, or maybe I’ll first hold a vote for genre and then a vote for specific book?

2 Likes

I was thinking maybe a month out. So in March we start reading X but vote for what April’s book will be, a week or so later it will be finalized and we can put holds on our copies. My library lets me do holds in advance, so I can say “activate hold on March 25” or whatever so I don’t run through my renewals before April has even started.

4 Likes

That reminded me that someone had mentioned Does The Dog Die before (maybe even you). And Google and I are very good friends.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Maybe the person who is hosting the upcoming month can start a new thread “March Bookclub” and start the voting there and then once a book has been picked just change the title to include the book title.

4 Likes

So each month we’ll pick a different science fiction novel to read? I’m in!

3 Likes

Not just Sci Fi - I hope.

3 Likes

I assume not since the first book is Little Women :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Only sci fi. Not sure there are any other genres?

4 Likes

Science non-fiction I assume…

2 Likes

I am an absolute sci-fi glutton, but I promise I’ll offer other genres when it’s my month :joy:

1 Like

Yes! I have some absolutely cracking hydrology and fluid mechanics text books we could recommend. Although, a monthly text book would send everyone broke.

5 Likes

Just for you, PDM, I’ll host a month of science books :rofl: I promise everyone else they won’t be completely dry! (Nor will they be textbooks).

3 Likes

I sense some Mary Roach in our future!

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of her :star_struck: new author to binge on!

3 Likes

Oh, she’s a fantastic science communicator! Well known for Stiff (the science behind cadavers), Bonk (the science behind sex), Packing for Mars (the science we’ll need to get off this planet), and Gulp (the science of digestion).

3 Likes

Greyweld lacks patience.

3 Likes

Also was totally not paying attention to this convo but Mary Roach ended up in my list :laughing:

2 Likes