Book Club - July 2020 - I am not your perfect Mexican daughter

Hi

Voting has closed “I am not your perfect Mexican daughter” by Erika Sanchez has been chosen with 62% of votes.

Do I need to post discussion questions or anything? Or just leave that for the comments section?

6 Likes

Voting has closed :slight_smile:
Looking forward to reading with you all next month

2 Likes

It’s totally up to you how you want to structure it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m excited about this one - I’d not heard of it before :slight_smile:

1 Like

We start tomorrow (well tomorrow Australia time, may still be more than a day away in other places)

Looking forward to reading along with everyone

2 Likes

I have this on hold at my library but I am #1 on 2 copies so should be any day now. How are people liking it so far? I don’t know anything about it, just going in blind. I guess I could read the summary while I wait. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I am almost done with this book. It’s very good and quite intense. I also basically went in blind, I just knew it was a highly-recommended YA book, and I’m glad the book club got me to finally read it!

2 Likes

I just got a digital copy from the library today!

Clare-Dragonfly your comment makes me realize I’ve really been enjoying knowing nothing about each book! Years ago I used to pick books by the most random criteria or I’d let my toddler pick for me and somewhere along the way I stopped. It’s fun to just start reading and let the story reveal itself.

2 Likes

I am starting tonight, I finished a book yesterday. I am looking forward to it

1 Like

Got a digital copy on hold via my library -> Libby app. The wait is 4 weeks, but it will let me read a preview. I’m on Chapter 2 and loving the narrator’s personality.

3 Likes

Still on hold! Its been 12 days so the other 2 copies must be getting close to being returned.

1 Like

I loved the opening lines. Sets up the narrator’s voice really well.

I’m not very far yet because I keep watching fun shows instead of reading, which is the reason I need book club prompts in the first place, ha.

3 Likes

I finished last night, I really enjoyed the book.

3 Likes

Still waiting, and turns out one of my holds was paused! ugh. Hopefully before the end of the month I’ll get this. I suppose in the meantime I could finished some past months books. *hangs head in shame

3 Likes

I feel like my list of books to read grows quicker than I can ever read books

3 Likes

My hold came through early! I stayed up too late and read it all in one sitting. This was so good. I found it interesting how sometimes the narrator is very aware of her lack of money and privilege - and other times she’s too sassy/young/focused.

“We need more people like you in college,” Freddy says… I don’t know what Freddy means by people like me. What am I like? Why would anyone care if I go to college or not?

3 Likes

Yes I found that interesting, and pretty realistic for most people.

I didnt know a lot about the book before I went in, I had been expecting something a lot more light hearted but really enjoyed the different issues it tackled

1 Like

I got my copy and started listening this morning. Not sure how I feel about it yet I’ve only listened to about 20 mins so far. Not too crazy about the swearing but I think I can get into the story.

3 Likes

I didnt even notice that much swearing, I may have become desensitised to it by how much the people at my work swear

1 Like

I’m not bothered by swearing in my daily life but I did notice it here, enough that I’d catch myself saying “whoa” in my head. I’m not used to seeing it in books!

3 Likes