Ooooh this is a gooood one.

2 Likes

I really love the impressionistic quality of this first one

9 Likes

at the end of our walk we saw a kingfisher fly between trees across the bay

so I did my best with what I had

DSCF8600 copy

8 Likes

I’ve been LOVING the Merlin bird ID song identifier. I had used it when it first came out and it was good but not great. Omg it’s so good now. I’m addicted :joy: part of my daily walk now involves holding still and recording and trying to spot the birds and it’s so so fun.

8 Likes

A few favorites from this year!

osprey
red-shouldered hawks (x3)
pileated woodpecker

9 Likes

May 9

The brown thrasher is new to me!

7 Likes

That osprey photo is hard core! Fish?

3 Likes

Yeah that osprey is awesome. All the sign needs is “violators will be prosecuted”.

5 Likes

Oooh so many good shots! That osprey, hot damn. And I love brown thrashers! I’ve only seen them a few times but they are so cool.

4 Likes

I think so. This was my zoomed in photo. Still let us get pretty close, maybe 30 feet?!

3 Likes

Woodpecker looking for snacks on a dead palm tree that’s had all its fronds removed.

6 Likes

7 Likes

terns and egret not getting along

the egret was standing across the embayment, so we walked around to that side, then it moved over to where we were originally, so then we went back there, but by then it was back to where it was standing when we first arrived. classic

5 Likes

Baby robins

5 Likes

My spark bird that got me interested in birding was the peregrine falcon as there is a nest box with a camera in my neighborhood at the power company. The young falcons recently left the nest and I’ve been going out to try to play “find the birds” frequently-- I enjoy it and have fun watching the parents teach their young how to hunt, and struggle to keep them fed in the meantime (the young falcons are constantly begging for meals and the behaviors sometimes are reminiscent of how adult humans interact with their toddlers).

So this morning I climbed the stairs of my favorite viewing spot, on the top level of a parking structure overlooking the power plant. And I found my viewing spot occupied by one of the falcon parents!! It was preparing a meal for its young. I walked to the corner furthest from the bird and snapped a terrible phone photo that I don’t think is worth sharing.

But I will share the gore-free photographic evidence of the meal preparation that occurred moments before my arrival.

3 Likes