Baby gear: What do you really need?

This is the exact one that I had and it was SO HELPFUL. I also carried it around the house with me so the baby could safely lie on the table, or the couch. It was also helpful when traveling with a 1/2/3 month old because it folds up really tiny for packing. Yes, pre-covid we traveled with the baby because otherwise none of our family members would have met her. She visited 4 states by the time she was 3 months old. Now that sounds crazy and scary to me.

3 Likes

Yes, we definitely brought it with us to visit family! It was amazing. She only slept in there until she could turn over, though, because this happened, and she started kicking my husband in the face in the middle of the night :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Awww, look at that cute little baby bum :heart:

3 Likes

It was this one, which is no longer made: https://www.gracobaby.com/modes-travel-system/SAP_2048727.html

The back went as flat as any non-bassinet attachment I’d ever seen (in a feasible price range), with the exception of the Chicco Cortina–which is also now no longer made except in a double stroller, which maybe you do or don’t want.

The Pramette looks like the closest version to what I got. On mine the back reclined almost completely flat but still had straps and such that I’m not sure would be in a bassinet style or not. The footrest also folded up and velcroed in place to make a more enclosed “bassinet-y” space. She had plenty of freedom to move her head whichever way and never slouched. Looks like the Pramette takes that bassinet-y conversion and goes farther.

The seat can also hold the infant seat for shorter trips like in/out of a store like a standard travel system, or even completely switch out with the infant seat, which came in handy a few times when I didn’t want to have to lift or haul the whole stroller.

Graco is a pretty serviceable brand–fine for frequent walks in the neighborhood and on paved or hard dirt trails. I also have a hand me down BOB jogging stroller that I’m at least 3rd if not 4th owner of, and I can 100% tell the difference in smoothness and overall quality, but the Graco is still in good shape and I’ll keep using it especially to carry it in the car. They are two very different strollers with different advantages–the BOB handles well in the snow and off road, but I couldn’t have used it with a non-sitting baby and I can’t get it to fold easily. The Graco folds up to go in the car and is more compact with more carrying space below, plus she can sit up straighter to see things.

An upper 3-figure/lower 4-figure stroller was never in my price range, so I certainly have no regrets over the more budget model and both will go into the stream when we are done with strollers.

3 Likes

Yay! That is excellent news! I will try it/similar again at Walmart. There’s one at the premium stores too that lies flat but isn’t a bassinet I’m going to check out (I think about 50 more than the graco but more sales)

With my first I had all second hand strollers. And I loved the 12 year old uppababy bassinet, but I’m not looking forward to spending even the newer used cost for something like that if I can do the graco for the daily walks to the park etc. (I think it’s a little more than the evenflo, but if it will last better it’s worth it. I see a lot more options used for the toddler strollers and we have the Thule for bike trips and serious outdoor use in the bigger months.

2 Likes

Whatever you buy for labor and delivery, just don’t buy those reusable washable hospital underwear that keep turning up in my FB feed. Seriously what an odd product:

-They are designed to be worn with a disposable pad anyway (specifically the giant hospital pads)
-How many babies would you have to have before the environmental impact of owning your own reusable ones would be less than the environmental impact of the disposable ones from the hospital? Probably more than you are going to have.
-According to my sister, extremely high chance of your mother-baby nurse throwing them away anyway.

3 Likes

I threw away several pairs of regular post partum stained underwear, so I’m sure anyone would. I might buy depends this time (our hospital only gave one pair of underwear)

2 Likes

Depends seems like a good idea. I think in the US they are more generous with the disposable undies- I don’t know if they use the same kind in Canada, a sort of stretchy mesh one-size thingie? I found them comfy myself but not everyone likes them even if they are provided.

I am saving the overnight pads that the Boy accidentally bought for my subchorionic hemorrhage to use postpartum, after the first few days/week or so.

1 Like

I wore normal maternity underwear - our hospital supplied special pads that wouldn’t stick to me and I could stuff an ice pack in, but no underwear.

Also: get yourself ice packs that you can sit on.
(Generic you)

2 Likes

I have an unused sitz bath and some plus size stretchy mesh underwear to give away to anyone who wants it. Hit me up and help me declutter!

2 Likes

Okay: stroller short list to try in store and find used
Graco modes pramette
Diono excurze
Maxi cost zelia 2?

In love with but insane and not available used
Cybex gazelle s

2 Likes

Me: “I just want to get the basics -budget items, lots of used, pretty chill and low key.”

Also me: “I WANT THE UPPABABY FOR REASONS UNEXPLAINED.”

Why am I like this.

5 Likes

Honestly uppababy vista is awesome and easily available used. 12yo was too old while stroller mechanics were shut. But seven or eight? Amazing! And the bassinet is a real safe sleep surface!

4 Likes

There were a few things that really mattered to me and that we splashed out on and while those will be different for everyone I would expect you have your “things”. For me it was a Tripp trapp high chair which has been all that I ever dreamed and totally worth it (for us and our lifestyle).

I have an old UPPAbaby Cruz that I got from a friend. I had to spend $50 to buy a replacement seat and recently we had to replace two of the wheels but I like it a lot better than the used Bugaboo stroller I had purchased on Craigslist. If you find a good deal for something used, they still sell replacement parts for models that are 10 years old.

I know people with the Mockingbird stroller (UPPAbaby knockoff) who are happy too.

ETA seconding Elle: my stroller is about 7 years old and it’s probably a sweet spot. The only reason we had to replace the seat was that my friend had it on her patio for a year and the straps disintegrated from being in direct SoCal sun for months.

4 Likes

Okay, so we bought used
Fisher price stow n go bassinet $40
Maxi cosi zelia stroller without car seat for $150
And new
Bassinet sheets and swaddles three each
A few weeks ago a cute outfit

We need ikea basket units for the toddler room so I have the plastic drawers for ours, and I can unpack the baby stuff and the last of my maternity clothes.

Apparently a new car
A car seat

And I don’t research cars or car seats! I just announce if I fit!

I think we will get a fluffy blanket and a cotton stuffed toy too, just so there are some new special things, and because L still loves his soft blanket. I purposely didn’t because G wants to get them or something.

And I guess newborn diapers close to the event

And

5 Likes

Reviving this thread as I am once again, in theory, maybe having a child in 6ish months.

How much do you need in terms of clothes per size if you like, reeeeally do not tend to stay on top of your laundry?

6 Likes

The reality that isn’t talked about is you will be doing a load of laundry every day because YOUR clothes are disgusting as well as the infants stuff. Boobs leak, babies spit up all over you, poop gets exploded onto you, etc.

So if you aren’t wanting to do that much laundry, I’d aim for 2-3 outfits per day for the baby and at least two outfits of postpartum friendly clothing for yourself.

7 Likes

I hadn’t even thought about extra clothes for me.

4 Likes

This exactly! With my first we had tons of gifted and hand-me-down clothes for him but I only had 2 outfits I was comfortable in so ended up doing laundry constantly.

3 Likes

Yep. If you don’t want your clothing literally to rot :nauseated_face: it gets done way more often.

ETA and I don’t meant that hypothetically. We had to throw away a couple pieces of NB clothes because everything was slightly damp with body fluids and rotted overnight. After that it was a stringent, straight to washing machine for everything, a load every day.

6 Likes