April [Digital] Spring Cleaning Challenge šŸ§¹šŸŒ·šŸ’»

Iā€™m grabbing a bunch of these from the list above, and adding one below plus going into a bit more detail on a couple of these:

• Unsubscribe from emails from brands rather than just deleting brand emails.

The big ones here for me are a) organizing my photos, as I take a lot of blurry pet photos for two of my jobs (one now, thanks COVID-19) and of my own dog, and also tend to screenshot social media things like recipes I want to try or workouts I want to do and then canā€™t find them when I need them; b) using a password manager, because my digital security is bad and I really just cycle through a few passwords and variants; c) making a secure vault with important documents for family members in a crisis, as making a ā€œhit by a bus folderā€ is part of my 2020 bingo, and this would go a good way toward accomplishing that goal. The other items I selected will be easier wins and also improve my life a bit!

3 Likes

Oh, this is timely, I saw this thread a few minutes after my phone informed me that its storage was nearly full and I literally had it in my other hand going through and deleting photosā€¦

My goals for April:

• Clean up my phone photo storage
  • Back up phone photos to Dropbox
  • Change passwords that Lastpass tells me are compromised
  • Change passwords that Lastpass tells me are weak

Bonuses:

• Clean up phone photo storage some more now that the good stuff is backed up
  • Change passwords that Lastpass tells me are reused

Iā€™ve made a good start by deactivating an old Twitter account that Iā€™d forgotten about until Lastpass told me it may have been compromised.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in!
My goals:

• Delete/sort files on my phone
  • Uninstall unused apps on my phone
  • Delete/sort files on my computer
  • Clean out email accounts
1 Like

Iā€™m in. I have to add some goals later but the main ones are:

• Research on password managers and see if I really need it Or if I can manage to secure my passwords alone
  • Review all the devices where Iā€™m logged in with all my passwords remembered by Google passwords. I feel anyone who access my phone or laptop can log into any of my accounts.
  • Digitalize all my French paystubs
  • Sort photos and remove random shots taken by LG. He wonā€™t care if I keep shots of rugs he took at 4 yo.
  • Remove as much personal information as I can from my work laptops
  • See if I can interest MG on doing one or many of these
  • Research on the digital vault. I have almost everything in my mails but maybe I should organize something for MG or my sisters in case of emergency.
    BONUS:
  • Digitalize LGā€™s medical documents
  • Sort my pregnancy medical documents and Digitalize what I need and get rid of the rest
3 Likes

Tasks for April:

• check with Ponder about putting antivirus on phones
  • roughly sort photos in Dropbox (ie by year)
  • roughly sort files in Dropbox by Ponder/ mine/ family so we can go through at our leisure later

That is quite enough.

4 Likes

Already cleaned out my FB groups and likes! Iā€™m also closing old accounts (like random store accounts, etc) that I donā€™t need andā€¦
Based on my passwords holy mother of muppets Iā€™m surprised (and glad) my identity hasnā€™t been stolen 200 times before now :grimacing:

1 Like

Iā€™m in! Goals below:

• Organize files - I have a pretty good system but there are still some ā€˜junk drawersā€™ that could use some work
  • Check for breaches, update passwords/user names as needed
  • Look through password manager for accounts I donā€™t use any more and shut them down
  • Review and update my templates for work paperwork - this may be stretching the definition of spring cleaning, but since I wonā€™t be using them for at least another month, itā€™s a great time to do it.
1 Like

I think Iā€™m inā€¦current computers are fairly well organized/password protected/set up for backups (although I should confirm backup restoration, thatā€™s a good point), but Iā€™ve got a fair amount of older paperwork that needs to be digitized and then shredded.

Additional goal:

• Clean my list of notes
1 Like

Iā€™m in! Hereā€™s what I want to do:

-Label all pinboard bookmarks (I have a bad habit of just tagging things ā€œreadlaterā€
-switch over to a more secure password system
-figure out a better system for organizing my photos esp the screenshots/memes/gifs of hockey players Iā€™ve saved to my phone

4 Likes

Delightful theme. Just two simple goals for me:

• Delete old accounts I no longer use
  • Back up my computer

and a bonus analog goal:

• Sort through my documents box, make sure everything is in the right place and remove items I no longer need
1 Like

Thinking about all of the tasks listed feels overwhelming right now, but hereā€™s what I can dedicate to:

• Delete and transfer image files from my phone
  • Organize/reorganize my knitting pattern files
  • Ferret out all my ebook downloads and transfer them to my Kobo
3 Likes

I thought/hoped I would have made more progress so far. All Iā€™ve really done is unsubscribe from a BUNCH of emails. Thatā€™s something at least! Right now since ownerā€™s arenā€™t in the vet, I have to take pictures and videos of EVERY pet during their appointment and send to the owner, so keeping up with the exponentially multiplying pet photos on my phone is a LOT. It hasnā€™t got completely out of hand yet, but I definitely havenā€™t started getting a handle on truly organizing things.

4 Likes

If your inbox is anything like mine is, thatā€™s a big deal!

1 Like

Yep, every day I try to delete a few more emails and unsubscribe from any new junk emails that come in. Itā€™s slow progress but itā€™s still progress!

2 Likes

Update:

• Delete/sort files on my phone - in progress
  • Uninstall unused apps on my phone - done!
  • Delete/sort files on my computer
  • Clean out email accounts
  • Clean my list of notes
2 Likes

So far, Iā€™ve updated listserv settings in my email so Iā€™m not getting bombarded. Iā€™ve downloaded a password manager and have my most important passwords loaded, but not 100% of them. Iā€™ve backed up most of my files to Dropbox and itā€™s full, so Iā€™m going to add them to my external hard drive too.

3 Likes

Started sorting imported images from my phone to Google Drive, not because I had intended to but because I had to haha. My great aunt called me this morning and I promised to send her pictures of my siblings and I, but couldnā€™t find all the ones I wanted.

That cleanup isnā€™t finished yet, but definitely started.

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaand done! Put in a couple long stretches in the evenings- those were painful but figured I would be more likely to finish while I had momentum. Also note that I only had to change passwords to like 100 sites, not @anomalilyā€™s 3000+ :joy:

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find passwords/stuff I missed, so Iā€™ll address those as they come up, the sneaks

7 Likes

Iā€™m wicked late, but I really need to update all my passwords using a password manager. So thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to do over the next two weeks. I weed through my FB, Twitter, and IG pretty regularly, but going to go through those as well. Passwords are the biggies, though.

6 Likes