Anyone have bad coming out stories?

Not finance, but my mom saw me in a dress for the first time and freaked out. I wrote more about it here, but thought it might be helpful for me if other people shared any bad coming out stories they have?

https://forum.ohmydollar.com/t/rabbitarian-is-feeling-fabulous/2011/364?u=rabbitarian

1 Like

I never came out to my parents. My youngest sister has, and my father was “oh, okay” about it and always supportive, and I never felt the need to make a thing of it. My mother would be predictably horrendous, and she doesn’t get that piece of me.

I’m sorry that your experience was so negative.

2 Likes

hugs I’m sorry your family didn’t react with empathy at all.

I had someone I really, really liked years ago. We were really close, and when I came out to them as bi, they were like “oh okay so you’re a closeted lesbian.” Um, no, I’m bi. “No such thing. Show me a bisexual girl born in the 90’s and I’ll show you a liar. But I support you if you’re a lesbian.”

It’s really hard having someone ridicule and invalidate you and your identity.

8 Likes

Oof. I know that was part of why my parents freaked out when I came out as bi a few years ago, because they had a number of friends who came out (when the perceived options were either gay or straight) that divorced their spouses, etc and they didn’t want my family to split up.

1 Like

Oof at the don’t quote part but so glad things are better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m still wrestling with the prospect of coming out to my parents. Should I? Shouldn’t I? Clearly they still love my trans bi sibling. But does it matter when I’m married and don’t have the energy to do poly things?

3 Likes

My mom was like “this was the worst thing you could possibly have said to me” and “you really know how to hit where it hurts” after I said “I think I like girls” and she said “no you don’t” and I insisted.

We Do Not Talk About This Now. hopefully things will be better when I am Independent and live a thousand miles away.

7 Likes

I hope so too!

1 Like