All Things Athletic: Advice, Gear Talk, Tips and Tricks

Have you considered an underquilt? That’s what I used to use in my hammock. It’s hangs underneath on the outside so you don’t compress the insulation under your body.

3 Likes

We jammed a wood chip under the knob to hold it in the position we wanted :grimacing:

2 Likes

I like the bathing suit shorts I bought from Land’s End last year. Holding up well and I never have to fiddle with them. They allowed returns last year when I ordered.

2 Likes

Our knobs were useless though. It was the gas regulator itself. All on or all off, basically.

Second Lands End they have a lot of swim options (in terms of length and closeness to body). I’ve seen Modli come up if you want bottoms to go past like 8-9". By the way I finally got bike short bottoms last summer and it’s fantastic. I could wear a swim suit with a skirt to the beach this weekend with no chafing :sparkles:

1 Like

Have you tried joggers? Are those also too tight? No specific suggestions, I got some Vuori joggers as a gift but TJMaxx, Target, or Old Navy will have budget options

I also have a pair of loose, light pants I absolutely love from Slightly Buddha. Definitely a splurge but supporting a small business? I’ve used them for walking, lounging, and yoga, less so running.

6 Likes

General recs:

• Inflatable pads with a “cell” or v pattern to the baffles. My back HATES inflatable mattresses (I think I tense up to keep my butt from sagging?) but an exped hexcell has been great.
  • sleeping bag: worth a splurge if you can swing it. If you’re a woman and your feet always get cold in sleeping bags, for the love od Dog get a women specific bag.
  • pants: I love the brand Marika (and their sub brand Balance Collection) primarily for the fact that I have never had camel toe in their leggings. Whereas Target and other brands have let me down/need to be tried on. I found them at TJM but now order online. Don’t buy full price, they have regular sales that bring things down to under $20 and as low as 3 for $39.
2 Likes

Thank you! I don’t know how I forgot Lands End, it’s where my swim shirts are from. And they’ll let me buy just the bottoms! I placed an order with Amazon last night but was able to cancel it and I’ll do an order through Lands End later today.

I’m on the fence about gym clothes, I want to get more but I think I realistically have enough since I’m probably only going twice a week at this point. I have enough to get by for a while anyway so I can put off the decision.

Yeah that’s worse than ours was. Unfortunately a lot of Coleman stuff is junk now. We ended up replacing ours with a Camp Chef and I am content. Anyone who has vintage Coleman should hold on to it!

2 Likes

I think ours is camp chef too. Everest?

1 Like

That sounds right.

1 Like

I think we have one too, and my parents have an alpine chef? Or something?

The Coleman fuel canisters are great for car camping, though. Keep those coming! :joy:

1 Like

I upgraded to a 5 lb propane tank that’s refillable and I’m never going back!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of chubbies brand shorts. Most of the “sport shorts” have a compression lining, but these are just teck fabrics without compression.

1 Like

You might like what you find if you search “sweat shorts”. I prefer tight workout clothes, but those with an oversized t-shirt have been my go-to for comfy clothes lately. I have this pair and I love them, but fyi they run small so go up a size

3 Likes

I’m sore in a muscle just below my tailbone (left side, top of :peach: crack sorry if TMI) possibly piriformis or a glute? Not life threatening but very annoying.

Any stretch/massage/release suggestions? I’ve tried variations of #4 stretch, pigeon, seated star, fwd/seated fold and they don’t quite hit it, more total glute

2 Likes

Yeah, so stretching probably won’t help that but rolling with a large foam roller will! Roll down though, not up, so waist down, waist down, not back and forth. If nothing works on your own than finding a place that does myofascial release will almost definitely help, I’d recommend a sports pt person rather than just a massage therapist. There’s basically a lot of tissue back there that can kind of, get caught/tangled on each other, in simplest terms. That’s why stretching doesn’t help but active pressure and massage does. It’s almost like you need to iron it out.

2 Likes

You missed a t

7 Likes

:rofl: I’ll try both

2 Likes

@MagnoliaKnight I have shorts like this from Aerie that are great too

1 Like