All Things Athletic: Advice, Gear Talk, Tips and Tricks

You were all so helpful with tents that I’ve come back for seconds, haha! I’m looking for a very comfortable camping chair. I am not price sensitive on this item. I really want one that has a solid seat part, like meaning where you put your butt. I don’t want one where the seat part is just, fabric stretched out, I want a solid piece. I would also prefer something that can be adjusted, like reclined.

3 Likes

Car camping only? Is it okay if it’s bulky to store? Does your tent have limited space?

2 Likes

Ahhh this one let me know if you find it. Still searching for that. I can recommend a bomb ass camp stove though!

1 Like

Also, uh, hello. I’m LittleWanderer and I’m a gear nerd. Mostly for backpacking and biking, but totally here for it all.

6 Likes

I went cheap on the camp stove, haha. One burner Coleman. I just ordered a very large beach chair, will report back.

1 Like

compact and simple (eg. not requiring a lot of effort to inflate) would be ideal. it would live in my car with my sleeping bag and other (emergency) items. I don’t have a tent, and am unlikely to go camping anytime soon, but these are nice items to have for camping.

Okay, so more for emergency use than actual camping? Most backpacking pads are air only, so they fold up much smaller. Car camping pads tend to have foam on top of the air and are significantly more comfortable (I think!), but bulkier. So the huge super cush car camping mats are out. Do you want something with thinner foam on top, or all air? Is comfort less important than compactness? Inflation shouldn’t be an issue, since we can find you one that comes with a pump sack or is semi-self inflating.

2 Likes

I also can’t emphasize enough how much the new pumps are incredible. As somebody who grew up with a raft pump nearly the size of the raft, it absolutely blew my mind how small these new pumps are. We have a bright orange one that we had to get in a bright color because it’s literally so small you can easily lose it somewhere. It fits in the palm of your hand. And it rapidly in flights are the flights are gigantic full-size camping mattress. And it was less than 30 bucks on Amazon. Absolutely so cool.

FLEXTAILGEAR MAX Pump 2020 Portable Air Pump with 3600mAH Battery USB Rechargeable Air Pump-Quick Inflate Deflate for Air Mattress, Pool Toys, Floats, Swimming Ring, Air Bed, Vacuum Storage Bags https://a.co/d/caYdJ0e

1 Like

I’ve been riding bike much more lately, and my inner thighs were not happy. While I generally try not to get “weird brand Amazon junk”, I took a chance on " Pamyvia compression shorts, and they’ve been great to wear instead of normal underwear. I suppose it’ll be months or years before I know how they hold up, but it was about $20 for a 3-pack.

Maybe it’s nostalgia, but I’ve always been happy with Coleman when shopping for canopies, tents, even air mattresses and propane camping stoves! Brand isn’t everything, of course, but I think they haven’t driven themselves into the ground like some companies…

5 Likes

I bought a 1-burner Coleman something like 15 years ago, and it’s still serving me well. Always have 2 tanks on hand, and I burn through them (literally) pretty slowly.

2 Likes

I don’t know what the range is when it comes to comfort and compactness, but I would say that it needs to fit inside a 9 gallon storage tub along with other items. the first storage tub is fairly full (sleeping bag and misc), the second would start with the sleeping pad.

1 Like

I am a fan of the klymit static V lite. It rolls up super small, and takes about 20 breaths to inflate.

I have bought three, all on Black Friday over a few years. I recall spending about $100 CAD on each (sale price). I got the insulated ones because we camp in shoulder season in Ontario, you may not need the insulated ones in your climate.

We do a lot of canoe camping (just spent 7 days backcountry on the Eastern side of Algonquin Park), and these roll tiny for our packs.

I have awful hips, and am happy with this one.

3 Likes

We got a new Coleman stove when we got married 7 years ago, and the regulator valve was awful. They replaced it and the new one was awful too :cry: very much ON full flame or off. Couldn’t do rice or anything like that.

2 Likes

I think this one is the best fit so far, thank you! It usually doesn’t get below 20°F/-6°C where I’m at and I believe the sleeping bag I have is rated to just below those temps.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Will do :slight_smile:

If you can wait until November, REI will have a 20% off coupon if you’re a member. If you’re not a member, most other outdoor places will also offer a 20% off coupon because they don’t want to lose their business to REI.

Cascade Designs (the company who makes the Thermarest pads) also have a lifetime warranty and are very good about honoring it. The Klymit pad is all air, so if you want something with some foam on top, here’s some other options:

A little lighter, a little more compact: https://www.rei.com/product/175625/therm-a-rest-prolite-apex-sleeping-pad

A little heavier/bulkier, but more plush: https://www.rei.com/product/171686/therm-a-rest-trail-pro-sleeping-pad

As an aside, your sleeping bag will not keep you warm at 20 degrees, not even close, despite what its supposed rating is. I’m not saying you have bad gear, just not to trust what the companies say. If you’re ever truly in a cold emergency situation, it’s something to be cognizant of.

4 Likes

Yes, of note these are survival ratings. Not comfort ones.

6 Likes

My experience is that even their supposed comfort ratings are way off. Even the extremely expensive bags. So if anyone is new to sleeping outside, just something to note!

3 Likes

Yup. I have a 30 degree Nemo bag and went on one backpacking trip where it was storming and in the 40s at night. I’m a warm sleeper but was wearing two pairs of pants, base layer, hoodie, and puffy and I was absolutely freezing lol.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s worth considering how you sleep at home, and what the company assumes too. If they’re assuming a base layer, hat, wool socks, and a fully zipped mummy bag, that’ll be way off if you sleep in skivvies and hang a leg out lol! Not that I’m talking about my husband, but I’m talking about my husband :rofl:

Eta oh and the R value of the pad they assume you’re on. Etc. So easy to fudge those numbers!

5 Likes