Alcohol and The Naked Mind book

Almost 5 months ago on the Mr. Money Mustache forum I read about people that either totally quit drinking or significantly cut down after reading this book by Annie Grace. I read the book and completely quit drinking as did my best friend and her husband. It was so easy and I don’t miss it at all.

Summary

I lost 23 pounds and was able to get off one of my high blood pressure medications. I have a back injury that is much better. I have never felt so good. There’s a online support group and most lost weight because of eliminating the alcohol calories plus extra eating when you are drinking.

I am wondering how many others have read the book and had the same results.

5 Likes

I haven’t read it but wow! I’m so thrilled it helped you.

2 Likes

I’ve heard similar things but haven’t read it. However, I quit drinking 2 years ago (well, 2 years on the 26th or something like that). I’m not sure why this time “stuck for good” when I had stopped so many times before, but it simplified life for sure. I sometimes miss it, though.

1 Like

I had not drank until I was 50 and then at first it was social only. By the last 5 years I was drinking wine every night in the evening. I don’t miss it at all. My sleep is so much better. I also love beer and there’s a delicious alcohol free beer by the athletic brewing company. My husband rarely drinks at home and when we go out I have AF beer or club soda with lime.

I do enjoy the Heineken 0.0 upon occasion, it’s quite good! And the clausthaler dry hopped. Mainly though I avoid even the substitutes.

Some people find the substitutes leave them wanting a real beer. Fortunately that doesn’t happen to me. I have had the two you mentioned and they are good.

2 Likes

I heard a lot about that book but had not read it. I quit drinking over 4 years ago on a whim, and it has been really positive for me, I can’t imagine going back now. It has made me so much more aware of how many social occasions revolve around alcohol in the US + Europe though.

2 Likes

The only think I’ve missed is whiskey and I created a tea for that :joy:

5 Likes

That’s funny about the tea:)). The book said some people experience instant sobriety after reading the book which is what happened to my friends and I. She also has programs for people that need it with support from coaches, etc. Her story is interesting because despite being outwardly successful she had developed a pretty severe addiction. I love the no judgement/no shame approach. This really encourages people that relapse to keep trying versus giving up.

yes, this is super common for so many addictions. I think society would benefit so much if they understood addiction affects people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, it’s just easier to conceal when you have more resources. It isn’t a moral failing to struggle with addiction.

2 Likes

Money related: I have saved over $3,000 in 4+ years of not drinking, based on my average monthly spending on alcohol/bars minus my spending on sparkling water/etc, and I wasn’t even a heavy drinker, I just live in a town where bars are the most common place to meet up and I had a client-facing job.

5 Likes

I downloaded a sober app and have saved 1280 in 5 months. I bought a few things for myself, donated some and put the rest in savings. I also replaced it with sparkling water at night. I spent my career in human services and have seen people struggle with addiction. My friend and I marvel that although we have professional experience with the issue we were just blind mostly to our issues.

4 Likes