A US Election Thread Where We Will Be Nice to One Another (but not to seditionists)

Yeah, fair point. I think that brings it down to Sanders or Warren then but I have sooo much anxiety over picking…

1 Like

I used to work for a firm that has a hand in soooo many domestic and international NPPs. What I understood from working there is that big corporations controlling US nuclear power (or really any of our energy) is less than great for us as humans or the planet.

My hope with Bernie is that he will help with the energy industry in general and get these giant corporations away from controlling so much. Also our nuclear fleet is aging and falling into disrepair which concerns me. The funding needed to repair things and modernize them is not there so these big companies are putting bandaid fixes on things and to me it seems like a not great way to proceed.

4 Likes

I personally am supporting Warren, even if she’s not viable by the time Oregon has its primary (like next year at this rate).

Reasons why:
Policy wonk, including about the things that makes her able to actually get policy passed (statehood for DC and puerto rico, getting rid of filibuster, etc).
Committed to structural change, particularly with health care and banking industries.
Predicted the housing crisis.
Able to build key coalitions (as evidenced by her history in Senate).
Not giving unasked for back massages to random women.

That being said, if nuclear power is your key issue, then go with the candidate you most want to support on that issue. Not many people vote on that, so go with your conscience.

7 Likes

Without comparing issue by issue, side by side, it’s a tough choice.

My Opinion and Vote

Warren is competent and can do the job.

Bernie is also competent and will do his damndest to help the majority of citizens (who are less wealthy, less healthy, less advantaged, less privileged).

I voted for Bernie.

4 Likes

It isn’t, but it is an issue that I wish Bernie didn’t seem firmly anti. It’s the only thing on his list of opinions that I’m actively opposed to.

Warren has 0 issues I’m not actively opposed to, but doesn’t seem to fight as hard for the things I do care about.

I would vote for either one in an actual election. Honestly my dream is a ticket they are both on. swoon

6 Likes

Note – this is also based on my limited exposure to limited media sources, which could be skewed.

2 Likes

Same. Would vote for that so hard.

4 Likes

Ah, for me, the things I care about are: universal childcare, health care reform, bankruptcy and financial reform. Elizabeth Warren has been fighting and succeeding at fighting these things her whole career, focusing particularly on bankruptcy protection and financial system reform for low- and middle-income Americans. The reason I support her over Bernie is that he’s stronger on rhetoric, but Warren is stronger as far as actual, achievable plans that are still about structural reform.

I think they’re both fine candidates. I’m worried about the fringe Bernie supporters who made my life suck last election cycle, either way.

7 Likes

I really liked these vox videos:

5 Likes

The new micro nuclear reactors are far and away better than the current models we have. They produce less waste, are modular and production can be ramped up as needed, and can be delivered to remote areas that would otherwise be dependent of fossil fuels.

But what I really want to see is Thorium reactors. That’s where the good stuff is. I’ve read some concerns on the creation of U-233 and protactinium, but I’m still hoping to see things move forward at a faster pace. It still creates dangerous waste, but the waste doesn’t hang around for nearly as long.

As to what our national policy on nuclear energy would really be, I couldn’t say. I was more on the weapons side.

10 Likes

That’s what I remembered after I posted, that you were more on the weapons side.

I haven’t thought much about nuke power in a while so my brain is only now remembering past info but I guess I’d personally be against more nuclear power until we solve the waste storage issues. One of my high school teachers was a geologist on the surveys of places like Yucca Mountain, and that’s actually a terrible site. A better site would be, for example, the super stable granite formations in the northern part of my own state.

In general I’m very pro nuclear and it’s a real shame to watch countries like Japan move backwards after a single (severe, yes, but something with a lot of lessons to learn from and design around) accident but there are some key policy issues that need to be ironed out first.

2 Likes

The thing I’m seeing that I HATE is that people are often torn between Warren or Sanders the way people aren’t torn between Biden and someone else, which seems like it will decrease the chance for Warren or Sanders to win the primary. Wish we had the “rank these people” system.

3 Likes

That’s where the convention would come into play I think. A lot of people here (I’m in Milwaukee, site of the DNC this year) are worried about potential rioting if, for example, Sanders doesn’t get the nomination. I’m not really worried about it, and not in my neighborhood, but there’s a lot of people here talking about it and in fact I’ve already been asked to take care of someone’s chickens because she and her wife decided to go camping during the DNC to escape the city (maybe just for the crowds, didn’t ask her reasoning).

1 Like

Sigh okay I filled out my ballot. Thanks friends.

6 Likes

Thanks for these, I really like them!

3 Likes

chill live coverage of the election, with a progressive bent, for people without TV or who just don’t wanna watch cable news shout at them:

4 Likes

I’ll be voting for the dem nominee in November. Hell, that’s no real shock to anyone; I even voted for Michael Dukakis. But but in 2008 and 2012 I had someone to vote for. I’ll happily vote for Warren if she’s the nominee, but Bernie is the first candidate I’ve ever sent money to, and I’ve done it twice in the last few weeks and plan to do it again. Bernie reminds me of who I used to be back in my lying-in-front-of-bulldozer days, who I thought I could be someday, and who I’d like to be again. He’ll do what he says to the best of his ability and he’ll say what needs to be said regardless of the personal cost. Just like he’s always done.

7 Likes

Honestly, I think I would vote for almost anyone who isn’t Trump. My bosses will be voting for him again which just boggles my mind. My female boss thinks Melania is the most beautiful First Lady ever, which should tell you how much actual thought she puts into things that matter.

3 Likes

I just want to update you that the stream I linked to is currently playing low-fi chillax music and has PUPPIES on the screen.

8 Likes

This is really really good and I appreciate it so much

mpr wasn’t cutting it for me

4 Likes