20 in 2020 Challenge: Save $20,000 in 2020

Yes!!

1 Like

Hooray! I will barge right in with an update post later. And perhaps some pretty graphs :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Decided to check on this as Q1 is done. All these numbers are as of today/tomorrow.

All registered savings: 9034.37 added this year
Mortgage payoff: 9417.21

Total 18451.00

I haven’t included any money I have stashed into savings accounts (even though we can), because these are the 2 that matter the most to me.

2 Likes

Jumping in with my first quarter review.

We were in (self-induced) hard mode for the first quarter of the year. H was still looking for work after leaving his job so we could relocate and we were still trying to sell our house also due to relocating. On top of both of those, we bought a house in our new location because buying made way more sense than renting.

For anyone keeping count, that is two mortgages and only one income. Very thankful to be able to live under those conditions, thank you personal finance community!

The majority of the savings we have for Q1 come from my 401k contributions ( + employer match), mortgage principal payoff, and HSA contributions. Even though we were playing on “hard” mode (for us) for the first quarter, we were still able to save a total of ~$6600.

8 Likes

As of the 30/03 I have saved $11406

Which is an extra $4888 on my mortgage and the rest into investments/shares both in and outside of super

6 Likes

April Savings

• $1,500 Roth IRA 2020
  • $1,800 457 plan
  • $142.78 mandatory employee contribution
  • $414.54 employer contribution
  • $0 403(b)

Total YTD: $11,089.46
55.45% to 20k!

Finally got the 457 plan sorted out! Going to be about $740 short of maxing it for the year if I keep it like this, but will reevaluate once other stuff is taken care of. There had been talk about 1-2% raises in the new fiscal year, but I’m guessing that’s all gone down the drain with the pandemic and everything. I feel very lucky I even have a job right now.
Decided to contribute to my IRA after the double whammy of stimulus check and Husband getting some unexpected work bonuses. Plus all the 457 shenanigans meant I had a lot more going into my bank account from my paycheck than I was used to.

4 Likes

Ponder got paid 3 times in April (fortnightly pay). We went from behind, to nearly halfway! Sitting at about $9k now.

11 Likes

I can’t update other numbers until the Shadowy One gets up, but thanks to tax refunds, we’ve reached 115%.

I call it easy mode, but it’s a good reminder of how much more flexibility and buffer that mode (especially the no-mortgage part of it) gives us.

4 Likes

At the end of April we are $8400/AU$29 425.

It seems like we could be in with a chance again, but our income will drop from next month and we have some big upcoming expenses. Hopefully we make AU$20 000.

4 Likes

We switched into ultra-easy mode this month. Our old house sold and H started his new job. So we dropped a mortgage payment, added a retirement account savings, and were able to stash the proceeds from the house sale to give us a nice cash cushion in case work goes belly up for either of us during all this.

We jumped from ~33% of goal to ~195% of goal.

7 Likes

$9k to retirement
$14k to debt payoff
$10k to cash savings

5 Likes

By my count, 4 people have already beat the challenge. That’s awesome!

8 Likes

Cash Savings YTD: $9,495
Traditional IRA: $880

YTD Total: $10,375/$20,000 (51.8% Total of goal at 33% of the way through the year)

I haven’t saved any of my stimulus, but I will probably be counting it as income.

fun fact: this month’s income is 74% of my adjusted gross income for the entire year of 2019

12 Likes

May 1 check-in:

YTD: $14,244.27

Really, really grateful to still have a job. Comforting to know that if I lose my job tomorrow, I’d be ok for many months.

Some uncalculated chunk of that was “invested” into thin air, but most of it is still hanging out in my bank. Made kind-of-shocking progress on this due to (a) 2019 year-end bonuses, (b) inept state government giving back money they could probably really use about now, © no travel or social events, or pre-purchasing for travel or social events that would happen later in the year :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

8 Likes

YTD savings are about $10k. This month was an exceptionally low savings rate, due to medical expenses, but somehow still positive – huzzah!

6 Likes

April update $13116.40 of $29k, so about 45% there :slight_smile:

6 Likes

my April numbers -
retirement savings: $900
savings account: $3051 (?! I think this is the most I’ve ever saved in a month - turns out the whole ‘nowhere to go and nothing to buy’ thing might be good for my spending habits, also my DC tax refund eventually came in)
I’m not counting my COVID stimulus check in this, since I haven’t spent it but also haven’t decided what to do with it.
That brings my YTD total to $12,979, 65% of the way to my goal.

6 Likes

Update time!
May: £1000 to investments, £200 to cash emergency find, and I assume the usual £289 (plus possibly a bit more) to my pension, as the portal hasn’t updated.

I’m up to £6695 - on track is £6480 so that’s all good. I’m trying to use some of the money I’m saving from not doing anything fun on things that I would need at some point and want to support, but I’m obviously still below normal levels.

The other positive is that the markets are somewhat more stable again - it was a bit dispiriting to see the spreadsheets going down by more than I put in each month!

6 Likes

Update - seems like I should have done this a week ago! This girl is done.

$10709.16 paid off on mortgage
$17382.96 savings RRSP, TFSA, non-reg accounts (including extra questtrade)

My profit sharing deposit put me over the top quickly.

6 Likes

Update for May 31

Cash Savings YTD: $11,665
Traditional IRA: $1,031.84

YTD Total: $12,696/$20,000 (63% Total of goal at 41% of the way through the year)

4 Likes