Twitter previews are broken forever 😞

Twitter previews are broken after Twitter took out the meta tags from their site that made it work. Interestingly this means lots of other sites have this same problem right now too.

There’s a workaround which is to install a separate plugin, which means we’ll need to take the forums down briefly to install it.

2 Likes

Testing:

3 Likes

:tada: :tada: :tada: JUST KIDDING :tada::tada::tada:

Looks like it was a built in feature, not a plugin! Twitter embeds are back!

8 Likes

Is there an issue with IG previews, or are they not supported?

I’m interested in embedding some IG photos/posts on the antisemitism embed thread, but when I copy the embed code, it doesn’t show the post.

I expect it to look as shown in this article: http://jaxov.com/2013/07/how-to-embed-instagram-videos-photos-on-websites-forums/

But what I end up seeing is either:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKkUtolh_Ch/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

or

I don’t think there’s a good way for us to enable Instagram embeds. The embed code they provide is full of javascript and stuff, and they block embedding other ways which is why you see the “log in” message. Instagram has been fighting pretty hard against any sort of scraping lately so I’m not sure there’s a good workaround for that anymore.

1 Like

Bummer! I feel like people would be way more likely to click through an embed. Thanks for looking into it!

2 Likes

Instagram wants you to open instagram and they literally pull down anything and everything that allows you to put their content in your places without clicking thru :-/

It’s so weird because I feel like I’d be a lot more likely to click through if I saw a bit of the content than just a link. I guess that’s why I am not in charge of instagram? (One of so many reasons).

2 Likes

And then I tried to share some IG links in Slack and they DID preview (even though I didn’t actually expect/intend for them to there). I can’t win! :rofl:

Twitter previews are gone. :disappointed: Twitter just shut down my API key for this app and they will soon be turning off the v1 API entirely in the next few weeks. I don’t expect this to be able to be fixed in the future.

6 Likes

I wasnt sure anyone still used twitter. Its still functional?

2 Likes