Stuff for Kids

She has always had such a flair for packing. I adore it :joy: even if itā€™s maddening sometimes.

1 Like

Sheā€™s going to love Tetris.

3 Likes

About 12 months

Around our kiddoā€™s first birthday and Christmas we did one of those walking trains/catapillars with a string. Part puzzle part gross motor.

We also did simple puzzles (Melissa and Doug big puzzles were too hard.) The shape sorter was super simple - - like 3 things.

Paper bags and tissue paper and cardboard boxes were still a big hit. Hah.

A kid stroller or grocery cart can be fun. Helps with walking and gross motor and goes the distance for fun.

A tricycle with a strap to keep them in place is nice, but you have to have room for it so we had to say no to that.

I also think I got a small piker triangle around this time to grow into.

Music instruments are fun.

We did MegaBlocks at this age too.

I didnā€™t do too much sensory stuff other than playing with food because I didnā€™t want to deal. :woman_shrugging:

Lists of ideas
Lovevery is great for ideas at various developmental stages, even if you find cheaper versions elsewhere.

I thought CanDo Kiddoā€™s gift list was fantastic because it has multiple senses addressed. Better than Busy Toddler IMO. I even took her course so I have an even more detailed list (I think I can find it if you want to DM me)

For preschool age and up, Iā€™ve been referencing Timberdoodle homeschool boxes for ideas and itā€™s been great.

Organizing
We have a little nook and just pile everything in there with a bookshelf that has a drawer and one of those 3 layer IKEA carts and some boxes. Stuff lines the nook walls but it stays in the nook, even if just in the middle of the floor.

I keep a bin for too small clothes/outgrown toys and another for too big clothes/not ready toys and sort as I go if something doesnā€™t work day of.

I also have kept some of the current stuff in a closet to rotate so it stays fresh for longer and there is less to clean on a daily basis.

And then I deal with the long term storage/organizing a few times a year. We stored long term baby stuff to relatives with a basement (that live 12 hours away, they took it in their car after a visit) . And now we have a storage unit for some of it.

3 Likes

Ooooh yes. We had a push walker car she loved filling with stuff, and later the green toys little orange wagon- that thing still gets love!

3 Likes

Yeah. We tried. Sensory bins are Not For Us. She mouthed too much and didnā€™t focus anyway. Messy eating at meals and lots of outdoor play is our preferred route.

4 Likes

I forgot about can do kiddo! THANK YOU! So glad to be reminded of that resources for this fresh neb thatā€™s here. And Iā€™ll def be referencing those homeschool kits for contents, thatā€™s an excellent lead.

4 Likes

Aww thanks. :smile: Youā€™ve given great recommendations for things for my kiddo so Iā€™m glad one was useful to you!

5 Likes

For the 3 year old crowd, this has been the surprise hit at our house:

I got a bunch of new toys that we could use outside on the patio in late spring and this is what Pipsqueak and all her friends instantly gravitate towards. Babies and people get lined up but they also get baths, or they get served in plates as food, or anything else. I thought the animal figurines or the little toy construction trucks or the other toys would be a bigger hit but nope, these little people are the favorite by far.

7 Likes

I gave this to Waffles for his third birthday recently:

Itā€™s been very well received. My kids both play with it frequently enough but also every time any other kid visits theyā€™ll all spend an hour or longer playing elaborate games with it. The nine year old next door enjoys it as much as my three year old.

3 Likes

I just bought this! Thanks for the suggestion.

Itā€™s not loading well, we bought the foldable playmat!

1 Like

Awwww yeahhhhh I hope you love it. I wish we had space for more of them!

1 Like

My mom has all hard floor surfaces in her house so Iā€™m excited that this can travel with us and make a safer play environment for the baby. As well as making it easier to clean messes on our carpet lol.

1 Like

A long tail e bike. And large basket and cargo net
A Thule stroller or double. Any of the bike trailer models. The bike trailers are great for sometimes biking, but heavy for 2 kids and I am lazy. So I would do it for fun but not as a vehicle replacement. But the strollers and jogging wheel are AMAZING. The weatherproofing means my winter worry is overheating and not staying warm. The infant sling means you can use it almost right away. The double is exactly wheelchair size so take that into account for where to bring it

The cheapest used plastic wagon you find. They are invincible.

No ride on toys. They will use these at other peopleā€™s houses and play centers. The one you buy will be useless.

The good quality plastic animals.

Little people and their animals

Melissa and Doug and other water books.

Balls, blocks, mega blocks, duplo, lego

Every kids toy at IKEA because even if they ignore it, it will please you.

Shit that is overpriced but you/they want or would like is great for gifts. Like new/cuter bedding or curtains or bath towels or character clothes.

Costumes. I like various ears, and the great pretenders capes.

Little Einstein guitar

Little tables and chairs

Semi junk food is also great for gifts

My storage for kids clothes is a bin above big kids closet for too big/still fits out of season, and bins and a skinny plastic dresser for between big and little kid.

I have a plastic tote of toys out of rotation, toys high on shelves out of rotation, and an IKEA ottoman full of toy sets out of rotation. Until they or I get sick, I want to throw out everything not in rotation. And then I pull stuff out and am loved.

5 Likes

Costumes and water books!! I am gonna add these for 2nd birthday.

5 Likes

:laughing: LOL

4 Likes

Recently someone posted a toddler cookbook that had picture recipes (@Smacky ? @meerkat ?) I canā€™t find it anywhere. Iā€™m looking for the name to add to Pipsqueakā€™s birthday gift pile in a couple weeks.

4 Likes

We havenā€™t made a ton of recipes from this one but I like how itā€™s thoughtfully laid out

2 Likes

God could anything be cuter than this

2 Likes

Was it Pretend Soup by Mollie Katzen (Moosewood Cookbook author)? We like the picture-based recipes!

1 Like

Does anyone have good holiday gifts to request for kiddos?

Currently Iā€™m looking for fun toys that he will like in 3-6 months and books in Spanish.

I want to get a wishlist for him to send!

Most of registry stuff and my limited research on lists is for newborn stuff and thatā€™s not as helpful.

Any links to things your kids under 18 months loved would be really helpful!

4 Likes