Snackuary 2025: Food Budget Challenge šŸœ

Week 3!

I think the main thing I’m realizing this year is that I want to feel ok about spending more on food now than I have in the past? I feel like that’s the opposite of what I’m supposed to decide in Snackuary, and I know I’m so, so fortunate to be in a situation where I can afford to do that. That has definitely not always been the case, and for years being able to cook for a week with a small budget was a big source of pride for me. I’m always preparing myself to be ready to go back to that scarcity situation, but for now I’m so lucky things aren’t scarce so I want to really enjoy my food, especially groceries.

Meal planning has been going fantastically. We tried a new recipe this week that my husband loved, but I didn’t care for. But still a good thing to try! I’ve got another new recipe ready for next week and lots of simple plans for other meals. I’m also away at a conference for a chunk of next week so I’m planning to buy some things to bring along so I don’t have to eat out every meal while I’m on the other side of the country.

Groceries: $236/300 (I’m going to move money around to increase this to $350)

Eating out: $262/400
My conference meals out will hopefully be covered by my job (we’ll see) so I don’t think the word trip will push me over the edge?

13 Likes

Week 3 check-in!
Total groceries week 3: 65,18$
Total so far: 256,11$
My averaged weekly costs are less than my budgeted 100$/week, which I’m pretty pleased with.

I’m eating down the freezer, so last week I was in Soup mode with vegan grilled cheese. I think I’ll have to throw out the last slice of vegan cheese :frowning: It was in my fridge for a while, and my last grilled cheese tasted funny, I couldn’t finish it. My soup is delicious though! It’s an improvised leftovers soup so I didn’t follow a recipe.

6 Likes

Week 3 check-in:

  1. down to two prepared meals in the freezers. Still have plenty of food though. I’m going to have to start cooking again.

  2. total spent on groceries so far this month = ~ $115 CAD.

  3. I was doing well reducing carbs, but we both like sweets entirely too much. I blew it and purchased 2 slices of prepared New York cheesecake (pistachio and wild berry) yesterday. Hubby bought 2 pieces too. We ate cheesecake for snack and supper! Totally uncalled for. Sugar addiction is real…:disappointed:

6 Likes

That is absolutely a good thing to learn during snackuary!

6 Likes

Updated my food spending tracker just now. (Sitting at $322 spent so far, with $127 left in the budget. Feeling ok about it.) I misplaced my paper planner while cleaning earlier this week, so I’ll need to find and update that before the weekend ends.

8 Likes
  1. Behind on my category tracking but I’ve managed to write down all my cash transactions at least :laughing: Monday was also a no food spend day
  2. No surprise tea discoveries this week. I’ve been tracking what I drink, used up one baggie of loose leaf tea last Tuesday :heart:
  3. Didn’t commit to tracking this but just want to note I got food delivery 2x this month (should compare to last year’s trends) and kind of want to track days with no takeout/restaurant spend. I’ve noticed a slight decrease in cold drink orders and coffee shop hangouts :grin:
8 Likes

Finally spent a good chunk of time food prepping over the weekend! And then we had plans/went out to eat both Friday and Saturday so none of it has been eaten yet whoops

Most of this was made with the plan of putting together burrito bowls for a few meals this week;

  • Soaked and cooked black beans
  • Roasted and shredded chicken
  • Cooked rice
  • Made pico de gallo with what I thought were tomatillos when I bought them but are actually cape gooseberries? That one was an experiment
  • Roasted sweet potatoes
  • Made salad with a bunch of cucumbers leftover from hosting last weekend
  • Washed bunches of lettuce and cilantro
9 Likes

Still on track for the eating out goal :white_check_mark:
failed on the 2nd one, had a bag of chips and a danish last week :x:
Good on the third one, :white_check_mark: used up the other half of the shrimps. Some pork is simmering in a stew while I am writing. Will be dinner today and two portions for the freezer.

7 Likes

Doing well on the pantry eat down challenge but honestly we really have an awful lot of stuff in the pantry so it hasn’t been too much of a hardship since we can still buy fresh foods. Biggest adjustment is eating flour toritllas instead of corn for breakfast tacos.

We do need to figure out how to eat down the various grains we have. We need to start making more quinoa instead of rice.

This month I’ve spent $27.48 on groceries, all fresh foods.

11 Likes

I think I need to slightly shift my focus from eating down the freezer & pantry (which I think has been mostly going well) to using up the condiments. So decide on the condiment, then figure out what from the freezer or pantry can be used in conjunction with it.

We got turnips and parsnips in the produce box, and I made a root veg mash as part of yesterday’s dinner, so I think for tomorrow I can make a bubble and squeak fritter thing and use up the last of the sweet chili sauce.

I’ve consolidated the triple crunch mustard with the maple mustard dressing, and that is almost complete.

10 Likes
Week 3 grocery totals
Category Total
Baking 0
Beverages 26.96
Breads 3.99
Cheese 61.92
Condiments 5.99
Dairy 4.59
Fats 0
Fruits 0
Grains 0
Pasta 0
Protein 20.08
Sauces / Spices 3.49
Snacks 44.71
Supplements 0
Veggies 30.28
Total 202.01
Month total
Spending by category
Baking 0 0.00%
Beverages 67.92 7.61%
Breads 26.07 2.92%
Cheese 61.92 6.94%
Condiments 56.92 6.38%
Dairy 6.98 0.78%
Fats 56.97 6.39%
Fruits 13.98 1.57%
Grains 9.88 1.11%
Pasta 2.5 0.28%
Protein 53.31 5.98%
Sauces / Spices 21.84 2.45%
Snacks 146.94 16.47%
Supplements 283.92 31.83%
Veggies 82.88 9.29%
Total 892.03 100.00%
  1. Done
  2. Tossed a lunch salad that didn’t get eaten and stayed in my forgotten lunch bag in my office for two days
  3. Bought muffin ingredients, have not made them. Bought more muffins and dip :person_facepalming:
5 Likes

Week 3

$100 spent - hoping this is my last big shop of the month. Will need to get more eggs and half and half before January is out but hopefully that’s it.

Lots of pantry cooking this week. Used up broth and a bag of dumplings from the freezer. Still need to sort through the fridge!

5 Likes

Weekly shop–eggs, cheese, tortillas (the last time I tried to make tortillas myself the ā€˜about 10’ recipe gave me 30 mangled things, and at this point I accept spending ~$3 for a bag of 8" tortillas of actual tortilla formation and consistency), plus a couple apples and scratch-and-dent citrus fruits for a total of $19.97. Also used up some Uber cash to pick up a pizza from <fancy place> since it’s only a block from the grocery store, so $5 actual cash for the tip.

Non-breakfast meals this week will be chili since it’s negative degrees out and I’ve got plenty of dried/canned beans on hand to do a five-bean mix, and I think I’ll do saffron risotto for cooking club this week, although I’ll have to swing by the other grocery store at some point before then and see if they’ve got some decent-looking vegetables to go with as a side. For some reason the only green vegetables left at the store today were zucchinis, and they didn’t look great.

6 Likes

We might have to continue the pantry challenge past January at this rate. Spending only $27 on groceries half way through the month is nice, although the Ramit Sethi voice in my head is saying we have enough money to not worry about how much we spend on groceries.

10 Likes

Hey we need to clear out the pantry regardless. Also I want more money to spend on stuff in Asia!

9 Likes

Cook dinner 3x/week: Accomplished, although one of these nights was an incident involving rancid rice so the dinner was not eaten.

Don’t buy booze for the home: Accomplished.

Always stick to the list: Did OK on this, better than last week.

Overall spending: honestly I’m a little overwhelmed with figuring this out. Read if you’re bored.

Summary

There are several variables at play.

  1. There was a kid’s birthday so I spent more at the grocery store buying party stuff, and I didn’t want to count those in the overal total, but now looking back I forget which transactions those were.
  2. My husband has done some spontaneous shopping on my behalf (doing well sticking to the list, too). But for whatever reason it’s just been more trips. AND those trips aren’t logged in my YNAB so I have to see the receipt and keep those numbers handy when I add it up. I don’t have access to his credit card transactions so it still feels very much like there’s his spending and my spending.

I’m also feeling like I STILL don’t know what is a reasonable amount to expect our family to spend on groceries. On the one hand, I want to be frugal, and I want to have a picture of the lower end of what we can spend. But a one-month picture is not always accurate, because of things like Costco diapers (which we don’t buy every month), and special occasions, and on and on. I’m actually very stressed about it and on my Costco trip this month, I found myself not wanting to buy stuff that we always use (chicken stock, etc) because it would be a big one-time expense and ruin my Snackuary predictions. I don’t think Snackuary was intended to make me freak out about this stuff. The point is, I really am watching what I spend, and I really am making an effort, and we’re living paycheck to paycheck but we’re not so broke that I can’t make the logical purchases that I KNOW we will use. Not buying Costco diapers, and then having to buy more expensive diapers at the smaller store later, doesn’t do me favors.

Oh, and it doesn’t help that I feel like I’m the only one in my household thinking about this… I can be nicer to myself tho

Total spent at grocery stores this month so far, including all factors mentioned above: $467.87. This is almost at my limit of $475 for the month. This will be breached soon. Maybe I should give myself an extra $100 allowance for birthday reasons.

5 Likes

I think the birthday party is a totally separate mental budget and if you can’t track it down, round it to $100 and increase total budget.

FWIW, i track things like household goods and party foods separate than groceries - just because I hate that kinda of stressor. But also some months are absolutely higher than others - the goal isn’t to stick to X amount per month/week but an average overall. The goal in budgeting, IMO, is not to waste money but not to stress over arbitrary goals but introduce less stress overall to my life

7 Likes

Thanks for the validation! It would have helped to split those expenses so all those non-grocery items don’t pop up under grocery. And that’s a good reminder re: stress. Lots of recovering perfectionist tendencies (ā€œam I doing it right,ā€ etc)

4 Likes

Cooking club? Tell me more!

Currently ignoring my eating out total. Yeah. It’s been a very stressful month and I’m just trying to make it through.

My groceries so far: $99. And that includes $30 for dog food and $20 for olive oil. Daisy June Dagger Paws encouraged me to save money by just feeding her from the freezer, but I chose to buy some dog food to make sure she was getting a balanced diet. This is her in my bed. With a jar of PB.

10 Likes