Small Things You Did Today to Reduce Your Environmental Impact

I love a good, crisp hem :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I returned a new changing pad to the baby store when I realized an equally nice one could be had for way less money, packaging, and overall waste by buying secondhand. Drove the electric car to pick it up and paid electronically so no paper wasted either!

4 Likes

Meeee toooo :smiley: This fabric is a dream too, it finger presses so easily!

I am now considering using the rest of it and just making everyone dish towels for Christmas this year. :joy: They probably would not appreciate them, but I think there is enough fabric for like 12 total, and I already have it… I could get little custom tags made… oooooooooh (ok stop now, trying to save money and resources, not spend it…)

5 Likes

Jerks. I’d appreciate the hell out of some handmade tea towels. We seem to go through them at an incredible rate.

8 Likes

I make people dishcloths for every gift giving occasion. No one ever seems very excited but I notice that they use them.

8 Likes

Same here! Except I would probably embarrass @CalBal by showing off her handiwork to all and sundry.

4 Likes

Update: the ties were removed!

Today I washed my hair and body with natural soap and a vinegar rinse (for the hair).

I would also be delighted by a handmade tea towel, especially in that cool fabric!

3 Likes

I used aquatic-safe sunscreen from a refillable metal tin.

I cut my hardboiled eggs with a fork because someone took my knife from the breakroom and I refuse to use disposable cutlery.

I turned down a “free” plastic mug thing from nurses’ week. I’ve turned this down multiple times now in the past two weeks, ugh. Take my name off the list; I do not need more mugs and I certainly don’t support cheap plastic giveaways. My former manager once argued with me about these freebies, while I was drinking coffee from my regular mug – “But this is a water bottle!” “I have a cup I like just fine for water” (while pointing to my mug) “But…that has coffee in it!? It’s a coffee cup!” “Surprisingly, it is in actuality a multi-liquid containing vessel” “But…this is free!”

6 Likes

Wait a minute, you’re telling me I can use the cups in my house for more than one liquid beverage?? Insanity. /s

3 Likes

I have a cold and am exploring the ways of the cloth hanky.

ETA: The ways of the cloth hanky are lovely, but I definitely need more cloth hankies. My excess mucus production is truly excess today.

4 Likes

Soaked 4 cases of glass beer bottles in bleach water, transferred 3 cases from bleach to ammonia bath. (Yes, I used proper rinsing, never fear) Some friends cleaned out their basement and it seems they never got around to brewing their own beer, so I got MANY cases of old bottles. Only they never rinsed the bottles, so the mold growth is real. So, cleaning them instead of sending them to the landfill, I need more bottles anyway.

4 Likes

I have found an entire sheet might just make enough hankies, for 1 person, during a cold. So. Much. Mucus.

3 Likes

Confession: I have, on occasion, used my thinner cloth napkins as hankies. They aren’t part of any set, so they don’t get given to guests (they are usually scraps from the cutting of patterns). I mean, they get washed, so…?

2 Likes

Cloth is cloth.
I mean, as long as it’s absorbent.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I should’ve said: I use the same cloth wipes I made from a sheet for wiping my/ kiddo’s nose as I do for wiping the table. They all go through a hot wash.

1 Like

I will likely acquire another few bandannas; they’re nice and handy to carry around.

Haha napkins. Things we… just don’t use. ^^;;;

I found cheap dry beans at whole foods, but I didn’t have a bag with me. Rather than use one of theirs, I waited until I got home and walked to the coop with my own bag.

The dry beans themselves are an experiment to cook them quickly and easily in a pressure cooker, instead of buying canned.

I was rewarded on my walk home with a sour cherry from a neighbor’s tree.

6 Likes

Reusable produce bags and sandwich bags arrived. Tomorrow I grocery shop! (I had been holding off because I knew these bags were coming)

6 Likes

Took public transport into the city to watch a free preview viewing of MIBI rather than take the car and pay for parking.

2 Likes

Is anyone here thinking of doing Plastic Free July?

1 Like