Skincare

Dry babes— body wash?

2 Likes

I’ve been using Alaffia Everyday Shea bodywash for a while and it’s super moisturizing! The difference in my skin from when I was using a castille based body wash to this one is huge. Similarly to a lot of “gentle” cleansers, it doesn’t lather a ton, especially with hard water, but it still seems to clean really well!

4 Likes

Hot take: dove unscented bar soap, OUAI body scrub (not recommended for my no scent friends), lotion or oil immediately after every shower.

7 Likes

Secondary hot take: only scrub the dirty bits with soap (just washcloth and water for arms and legs) and skip the body wash entirely :see_no_evil:

ETA and my allergenist literally told me to do that for my very sensitive dry skin btw

6 Likes

I knew I could count on my flakey sisterhood. @Bracken_Joy That’s a great idea! I’m going to do that. I already use a scratchy cloth and I love it but I guess I thought I needed to soap everywhere?

Thanks for the soap recs too all!

3 Likes

Unless there’s oil you want to remove, or dirt, no need for soap. :woman_shrugging: bit of a paradigm shift. I swear I don’t stink :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

That’s sort of like when I stopped using soap on my face. It was long before I had any real skincare routine but I remember telling Husband (he might have been Boyfriend at the time?) about how I was desperate to get moisturizer on my face as soon as possible after getting out of the shower because as soon as I washed it in the shower it started feeling tight and dry and awful. And he was like, maybe just don’t use soap on your face then? And I was like, uh, oh, duh! :smile:

6 Likes

Can confirm. I’ve never noticed a stink on Bracken. :+1:

3 Likes

:raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2:

Yeah I figured if I stank my mother would gleefully have informed me long before now. :grimacing::laughing:

5 Likes

I think it might be biology specific too: I have to use soap every time I shower, but the other adult I live with uses soap 1-2 times per week and never smells bad. I think I’m not super smelly but I get a little smelly easily, very annoying.

8 Likes

yep. my husband’s chemistry is such that if he skips a daily shower, you can tell. me, not so much, even though as i have gotten older, i do seem to have gotten a little stinkier.

i also have a much keener sense of smell than him so it all works out :joy:

9 Likes

To be clear I’m still washing the stinky bits with soap. My pits would absolutely stink quickly without washing.

6 Likes

My skin has been absolutely terrible lately, despite paying $30/month for curology. Not sure what’s up with it, since it isn’t acne but instead some other weird thing (rosacea?) Possibly related to working out in K95s, even though I do switch them out.

I’ve also had a leg rash (ezcema maybe? contact dermatitis? plaque psoriasis related to autoimmune?) since July that hasn’t gone away. I contacted my PCP about it after a few months, and they prescribed me a topical steroid, but rite aide lost the prescription and I did not get my shit together to go pick it up.

I think I will have to pony up to go to the dermatologist again as curology isn’t cutting it. My old dermatologist isn’t on my new insurance, so I guess I gotta find someone new. Also I might ask my rhematologist this week if it’s possible my face situation is a lupus rash? I know I have autoimmune stuff so I’m worried it’s connected.

I dunno if I have any question I just want to rant. Throwing money at curology didn’t solve the problem

7 Likes

You probably know this, but lupus rash on a lot of people has a distinct shape on the face

3 Likes

I hope you find a good solution! I have rosacea prone skin and tried to use Curology but couldn’t make it work, even with lots of trial and error. It’s also worse for me this time of year with the cold air.

3 Likes

That + I got into cold air and move at 5-15 mph all year round at the ice rink :joy:

5 Likes

Yea, it’s unclear to me if it is, really. Partially because I don’t like to stare in the mirror at my face so I don’t think about it.

4 Likes

Favorite lip mask?

2 Likes

Wax Halloween lips.

4 Likes

I think I’ve established that Im sufficiently high marine car, right? I’ve tried lots of masks, inc Fresh and Laneige, and haven’t found anything I like more than Vaseline. That said I am a very dry lady in a very dry place

3 Likes