Shout into the void

FOR FUCK’S SAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

4 Likes

Argle bargle

3 Likes

FUCK YOU AND THE ASS YOU RODE IN ON.

6 Likes

whines loudly

3 Likes

Why is everyone using the word “folks” all the sudden?

I guess I’m not shouting in to the void…just vaguely wondering into the void.

1 Like

Do you want an answer? I use it because unlike “guys” it actually IS gender neutral. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Oro :slight_smile: Makes sense, haha, and you’re a Midwesterner as well right? FWIW I didn’t mean here specifically, it’s suddenly alllllll over articles and essays everywhere. I just find it funny as a midwesterner because I think of it as such a regional word. Like I stopped saying it when I moved to the Northeast because it was a little laughed-at for being…folksy and rural sounding. But it seems to have become super super popular nearly overnight!

I’m kind of obsessed with non-consumer cultural trends and how they spread. (ETA: Like why “folks” instead of just “people” or “individuals”? )

2 Likes

I’m just now discovering this thread and I feel seen.

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

3 Likes

This is also why I’ve always used “folks” too. It does often sound folksy/rural, but I think that actually helps in it being a viable term for talking about groups of people in a non-gendered way. It doesn’t sound high faluting or fancy, and it doesn’t feel like a term imposed by the coastal elite. It’s just a word everyone knows and is pretty okay with, whether they’re SF tech elite or my uncle’s neighbors in Appalachia.

1 Like

Haha, yeah I think that’s part of the “huh, what? interesting!” effect for me! Hearing it from coastal elite types, that is. I feel like it’s super rare that a more “rural” or Midwestern…slang, would you even call it slang? Anyway, I feel like it’s really rare for language used in places like where I grew up to become really mainstream with urban elite types, and I keep cracking up (to myself)reading/hearing “folks” come out of mouths that I just, haha, wouldn’t expect! I wonder if y’all will have an upward trend too!

1 Like

I very very much think “y’all” has had an upward trend – the Google ngram for it has a sharp upward curve from about 1980 on.

2 Likes

Don’t bring facts into my wild speculating @diapasoun

:wink:

#yallforlife

3 Likes

But the facts support your wild speculation! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You know I adhere to a strict scientific method @diapasoun

Me:

4 Likes

7 Likes

bringing this thread back to its purpose

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3 Likes

HOW DO I EVEN FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL???

4 Likes

Ugggghggghghhghhhghg.

Also I am permanently damp.

Blehgggggh.

2 Likes

HAAARGLEBARRG

2 Likes

WHYYYYYYYYY. The mechanic was just here FOR FUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKSSSSSSS SAKE.

4 Likes