Random Questions

I’ve been going back and forth on whether I think it’s deliberate- there were no attempted cut marks on the lock, and I would have thought a determined person could have freed the bike once the break was there - maybe they got interrupted though.

sadly my entire city is a huge bike theft hotspot, but I’ll put a police report in anyway!

I’ve just been to the bike shop and yes, they said the only option is replacement. I don’t have any relevant insurance, but there’s a chance I may be able to claim on the frame warranty- the bike man was of the opinion that it may have been deliberate but as it’s on a weld line there could be some argument for structural weakness as well. (I would also need to find a receipt from 7 years ago which may not be possible!)

Sigh, this is not an ideal time to have to buy a new bike - stock is super low at the moment as everyone wants to avoid public transport.

10 Likes

I hear good things about Barnivore from vegan friends.

1 Like

What do people put into wine that makes them not vegan?

Mainly egg shells or a gelatin from fish bladders, which are used in the filtering process. Sometimes things like fertilizer can be non-vegan, and a popular organic-adjacent farming practice called biodynamic farming follows things like moon cycles and mysticism and involves burying cow horns full of manure (yes really). A lot of mass-produced wine isn’t vegan. All kosher wine is vegan so that’s a safe bet.

4 Likes

Thank you. I had no idea.

1 Like

What do I do with a ginger bug? It’s bubbly and now I… make soda? But how?

1 Like

I’ve used these recipes before:

3 Likes

Do you tip for carryout?

Yes, but less. Servers usually have to package everything up while still waiting on all their tables. It’s super annoying because even if you’re in the weeds you have to stop and package up takeaway meals, and a lot of people don’t tip. I tip like $3-$5 if I’m picking it up.

9 Likes

Yes, especially in pandemic times. I figure they have to be at work, they’re probably getting paid crappy, so I’ve been tipping 20%. Even in the before times the waitstaff answers the phone, gives your your food and possibly packs in all in the bags for you, so I used to tip 10-15% for pickup.

4 Likes

What about takeout only restaurants?

1 Like

If it’s a window walk-up situation I toss $2 in the tip jar if there is one. I also tip a dollar for drinks, like coffee.

2 Likes

Fast food no, and it generally isn’t allowed. Everywhere else I do something. $1-2 for drinks and no effort snacks. 10% for full pickup. Sometimes I grumble after, but I do it. The restaurants can change the system, I can’t. And I still do it when the owners serve me

4 Likes

Are these just regular raspberries? Or, are they something else edible. I found an area with a ton of these bushes and am highly considering picking them if they are food

Edit they seem a bit small and round for a raspberry ?

4 Likes

Those don’t look like raspberries to me. Possibly wineberry? (Which is, FWIW, invasive, at least listed in the east.)

(ETA: if they are wineberry, they are edible.)

4 Likes

Yep, wineberries. They are pretty good tasting.

2 Likes

I always want to ask because I know nothing but they do seem pretty much entirely safe for a beginner:

3 Likes

Yup, wineberries. They grow in the park near me (and now in my yard, presumably dropped by birds) and we eat tons of 'em. Yum yum. They are more firm and tart than raspberries.

1 Like

A good thing to know is that there’s nothing in this part of the world that has a compound/aggregate fruit that isn’t edible :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s really cool!

1 Like