Random Questions

Float test. Put in glass of water, if it sinks totally fine. If it sinks but doesn’t rest on the bottom it’s okayish. If it floats its old enough that I wouldn’t risk it.

Edit: this is for eggs still in the shell.

8 Likes

Most eggs are good WAYYYYYYY beyond their “best by” date. I eat them weeks later all the time.

4 Likes

This is going to sound stupid… But how do I make myself not hate brushing my teeth? I just hate it and the foam gets everywhere and won’t stay in my mouth until I actually want to spit and ugh. And once in a while my body just decides that brushing my teeth is something that makes it gag.

I’m an adult so I brush my teeth but It’s often something I dread.

1 Like

Brushing my teeth makes me gag like crazy. The thing that works for me is walking around my house while I brush, which seems to pull my focus away from the gross mouth sensation.

4 Likes

Will a spray made of soap flakes kill beneficial bugs like lady bug larva as well as aphids and other sucking insects?
I guess I’m asking, does nature got this or do I need to intervene. image image image

1 Like

Not 100% sure but I believe soap sprays will kill any insect it touches.

1 Like

Have you tried a toothpaste that foams less? That helped me when pregnancy made me have extreme gagging while brushing. Less foam meant less sensation of stuff in my mouth.

3 Likes

How do I figure out what is a good brand of vitamins/supplements to buy? For example a blood test has shown that I’m a little low in vitamin D. I know there’s a ton of companies out there happy to take my money, but who actually has good quality products that aren’t loaded with garbage filler stuff?

2 Likes

LabDoor.com

I can share the brand I take, if interested. IIRC I arrived at it through a combo of that site and Amazon reviews.

4 Likes

Insecticidal soup or any kind of soap spray will kill any soft-bodied insect. Adult true bugs and beetles I am not sure. I believe the method of action is that it clogs the spiracles (how the insects breathe), thereby suffocating them (unless there is some extra insecticide added).

2 Likes

It is effective on Japanese beetles too.

Has to be a fat-based soap, not a detergent

2 Likes

As per your additional comment, if it is not a huge infestation of aphids, personally I would leave it. Soap will kill lady beetle larvae for sure, and they are the most voracious predator of aphids (and any soft bodied insect really). Also, if you kill all the aphids the remaining lady beetles will leave your yard (no prey) and you may get a rebound infestation of aphids from the ones that you may have missed.

(I use neem oil on really small plants that I think will die if I do nothing and they have a lot of aphids or white flies or the like. But once they are bigger I let nature take its course. I get some plants with heavier infestation but the aphids don’t kill the plants once they are larger. YMMV tho…)

2 Likes

Tips for less foamy tooth brushing* -

Use an electric toothbrush & make sure you’re brushing correctly - the amount of agitation necessary for good brushing is built in and it’s all about placement. Most people hand-brushing over-brush - which causes more foaminess and isn’t actually better for your teeth (plus you miss more spots).

Use less toothpaste - most people use way too much toothpaste per brushing. The agitation is doing the work, when you brush properly.

Use a different toothpaste - if you’re inclined, you can even use a “homemade” toothpaste (baking soda is the main ingredient), which cuts back on foaminess. The foaminess is a choice advertisers have made to convince people to use commercial toothpaste because it makes you “Clean.” It has no basis in science.

Additional dental hygiene tips - Rely on flossing to do the heavier lifting, esp if you’re uncomfortable with the toothpaste/brushing part. Flossing correctly with floss or water pick or whatever really helps and can reduce sense that you’re not brushing “enough.”

*Not a dentist or dental hygienist. But I’ve been chastised by them AND praised for my improvements.

8 Likes

Yes. It’s fine. Egg expiry dates are made up

2 Likes

Thanks! I will look up those brands, they are not familiar to me.

1 Like

I deal with morning “foam gets everywhere” by brushing my teeth right before my shower.

2 Likes

I had to switch to brushing my teeth in the shower when I was pregnant. I’d take a shower in the morning, get out, brush my teeth, gag and pee on myself when coughing. Then I’d have to get back in the shower. So I learned to just skip the getting out of the shower to brush part. Oy, pregnancy.

6 Likes

Ok, I will try finding a less foamy toothpaste, getting an electric toothpaste, and brushing in the shower. Will see if it helps!

1 Like

I have some cauliflower that I blanched and froze. If I roast it like usual (toss in salt and olive oil, put in preheated cast-iron pan, cook at 450 until it looks done), will it be the same texture as usual?

1 Like

Yea I roast veggies straight from the freezer all the time with no problem.

1 Like