Random Questions

Random question- removing skin tags - what is the best option? I have a really annoying one that is itchy and located an inch below my front sports bra band on the ribs, and I don’t know which to use - home remedy, OTC products, doctor or dermatologist? TIA for suggestions.

3 Likes

I used to slice them off with a razor blade, but have since been told that it’s “unhygienic” and “dangerous” and “not a good idea.” My dad used to burn his off with a lighter so I come by my self destructive tendencies honestly.

7 Likes

I just had 5 skin tags removed in June. Initially I tried one of those mole/skin tag remover kits (HaloDerm Advanced Skin Tag Remover & Mole Remover). But my skin tags were all too big for that to work - kits like that work best on reeeealllly small ones and pretty much nothing else, according to the doctor I spoke with. Plus they take multiple weeks to work.

So I pretty much had to go the doctor route, because one of mine was about 1 cm across and was irritated to the point it would bleed. It might depend on your insurance, but I have Kaiser and they were able to have just a normal doctor freeze them off with nitrogen (I didn’t need a referral to a dermatologist). Those suckers were gone within a week, and I am so happy I just got it done by a doctor.

2 Likes

:rofl: I almost replied earlier that I cut one off myself with a blade (surgical blade tho) but thought that might be a little dramatic lol

5 Likes

I THRIVE on being dramatic. Also efficient. It helps that I would get at those suckers when they were small so there wasn’t as big a possibility of it doing actual damage.

4 Likes

I get a kick out of DIY-ing medical stuff that i really shouldn’t, but I avoid advising others on the internet to do so as well. :rofl:

9 Likes

Hahaha yes this exactly!

2 Likes

Lol thanks all. I will call my doctor to see if she can do it in her office.

1 Like

What is a good birthday present for an early 30s brother who likes cooking, international travel, brazilian jiu jitsu, fishing, stories, and hasn’t seen his girlfriend in 5 months because she lives in Canada and covid?

5 Likes

A cookbook of ways different countries prepare fish?

4 Likes

Gi or no gi jui jitsu? For no gi, there are tons of cool rash guards online that don’t cost too much. Not sure if gi guys wear them under or not. (Asked husband. He says some do, not all). All sorts of super hero prints, etc etc.

3 Likes

You’re a genius! Just ordered:

• The Whole Fish Cookbook (obscure cooking techniques that I have no patience for, but he does)
  • Provisions: Roots of Caribbean Cooking (written by 2 Jamaican sisters including family stories)
  • Best American Food Writing 2019 (edited by Samin Nosrat)
5 Likes

@Bracken_Joy I have no idea, but will snoop for next time around.

2 Likes

If he’s 10th planet, he’s no gi. If he’s in the Gracie system, he’s gi. In case you know that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might have to sign up for a Duolingo account :wink:

1 Like

Any ideas for nice things to do for employees during gestures wildly?

Public Library
~20 staff members

The good:

• I’ve been communicating information regularly
  • we didn’t furlough everyone and everyone got full pay while working at home (even if they didn’t have much to do at home)
  • we have lots of PPE
  • we are being cautious with reopening and are only during curbside pickup

The bad:

• everything is uncertain, and I can’t answer most questions (like when we will let the public back inside) because I just don’t know

I already did little gifts when we returned to work in the building (“fun” cloth masks, mini bottles of hand sanitizer). I would usually do food but no one really wants to eat communal food. Or I’d do hand-written thank you notes, but my brain doesn’t know what to say. “Thanks for continuing to function during the apocalypse”? Most people are introverts and would rather gouge out their eyes than go to a Zoom happy hour or something.

I know the uncertainty is dragging on people and I’d like to do something nice if I can.

11 Likes

I think notes are good. Just recognizing that times are hard and it’s tough to be in the situation that your org is facing. If you want to do something more gifty, maybe a bitesquad/whatever makes sense for your area gift card? Enough for a fancy coffee or smoothie.
Another option is to just straight up ask folks what they want/would be comfortable with. A 1xmonth book club? A running group chat where folks can socialize digitally about what they are reading, watching, enjoying? Some of the biggest things that I’m missing is the downtime sort of conversations that used to happen.

8 Likes

@RamonaQ You already sound like an excellent boss in a pandemic. Maybe an “Ask Me Anything” session focused on reopening observations & questions? (Sharing information, even if you don’t have answers, is also a gift.) Or if you can do this within labor/contract law, an early dismissal on a Friday.

8 Likes

This is me.

What about a small gift card to a cute coffee shop or something?

4 Likes

Thank you for the ideas! We do have leftover summer reading prizes* (since not nearly as many kids participated this year, for obvious reasons) so I’m going to let people loot that pile at our staff meeting on Friday. And I will start writing notes again. Sometimes I find it tough, for example, because I find myself wanting to compliment the same people over and over again. I do keep a list of who I write notes to and what for, though, so I can make sure to hit everyone eventually.

• we have flip sequin plush keychains, squishies, and novelty rubber duckies and I want them all.
9 Likes