Random questions, postpartum edition

And I can turn it inside out and throw it in the laundry. I cannot be bothered to clean ziplock bags :joy:

2 Likes

Meeeee either. Not at this stage in life!

Same, but not all the inserts are removable. I got the pretty cheap motherhood ones from the target website and took the pads out. And I also have a cheap one that I got at Target that has non-removable pads, but the pads do not shift so bad. My best advice is that past D cup, it is worth getting the busty sizes.

1 Like

Yes, I love those, and they are also great on the go for swimming wet clothes/blowouts etc etc. I use them for everything.

3 Likes

We still use them too for post forest school clothes transport! And yeah swimming pool trips. They’re great.

4 Likes

How long after stopping breastfeeding should I wait to buy new bras, if my pre-pregnancy ones never start to fit again? (Also they don’t fit my lifestyle anymore- I need way more wireless and fewer underwire.)

3 Likes

6 months is my understanding. Still can have hormonal shifts and milk production going on and stuff. That’s the guidelines for mammograms too. I was told up to a year post weaning before tossing all my shoes that were too narrow. (Alas, I never got back to those)

2 Likes

I don’t know, but these “adaptive size” bras have been great for me across fluctuations the past couple of years. They’re extremely comfortable and have better shape than any other no-wire bra I’ve owned.

Ooops, thanks for the nudge @frogger. I forgot the links but here they are now!

Also, Bookface is now serving me ads with a 15% discount code: FB15.

4 Likes

Let’s pretend that 3+ years still counts as postpartum so I can say “what are these and how do I get them in my life?”

4 Likes

Love the color name “cinnamon taste”

3 Likes

There’s also the tangerine-ish “warm bread”. If you mash them together… cinnamon rolls?

1 Like

Lmao nonsensical!!

Does anyone have first hand experience with breastfeeding while on work travel?

I have a couple of trips coming up ranging from 2-4 nights. I have lots of feelings that I might discuss in my journal but I also really need to figure out the logistics.

We have ~200 oz in the freezer currently. I am unwilling to dump my milk, especially on a 4 day trip that could fully deplete the whole stash and I have to do about one trip per month so that is not a long term solution.

The logistics on where and when to pump will vary from trip to trip (sometimes a manufacturing environment, sometimes all day in the car with sales folks, sometimes at a conference/meeting in hotels).

Specific asks:

• How to store and transport milk. a 4 day trip would probably be 120 oz of milk. Logistics, gear, etc.
  • Should I have husband call me in the middle of the night when baby wakes up to pump alongside him or just make an effort to pump once in the middle of the night?
  • Good spots to pump in an airport?
  • Anything special with TSA? I know I am allowed to bring the milk but I have not looked up the rules or how to get special permission since the baby wont be with me.
  • Encouragement that this is all worth it (with a fed is best undertone)

I am feeling really discouraged. I don’t have coworkers that made this work, they either quit to avoid work travel OR they stopped breast feeding before work travel. Right now I am only slightly considering the first and definitely not considering the second.

6 Likes

I have talked about this with an LC when I had to EP for a few days, and absolutely wake on your own schedule. You can also pump at longer intervals for longer time. And if a trip depletes supply and you need to, you can build supply up again at home

6 Likes

Hi, it’s been a minute since I’ve been on the forums (partly due to postpartum vision problems that make screens hard, yay), but congrats on finishing your ultra and doing it in such style with great nutrition, hydration, and joy.

I’ve done day trips and overnights, though nothing extended. Wearable pumps like the Elvie were nice for shorter setup time and a little more flexibility on where to pump (ie I could pump in the backseat of a cab).

If your supply is generally good, I personally would set an alarm to pump once in the middle of the night and not try to time it to baby’s wakes.

Some airports have yoga rooms, would that work for you? You could also try Minute Suites.

This article helped me with some logistics ideas for freezing, etc. A Guide To Traveling (Without Baby) While Nursing - Yellow Brick Home

The only thing I am sure of is that if the hotel offers massages you should schedule one on every darn trip.

It’s certainly more complicated than work travel without pumping but you’ve already proven that you can do hard things while breastfeeding and if this is important to you, you will figure it out!

Meanwhile last night my baby slept for 8 hours between feedings and I woke up to leaks everywhere. Good job baby but also what is going on?

5 Likes

I haven’t done this myself, but here to provide moral support.

Also - can you convince your company to reimburse for milk stork or similar service?

4 Likes

TSA is actually really easy. You don’t have to do anything special. I think 2-4 nights is totally doable and not at all something you should feel discouraged about. When it was me I pumped whenever I had the opportunity and the energy and tried to squeeze in as many pumps as feeds in a 24 hour period. So no need to wake at same time as baby, but if baby is eating 6 times in 24 hours, I would try to get 6 pumps in too. Or more like 4-6, because nobody’s perfect.

Many airports have great nursing rooms, mamavas (nursing pods), or as a last resort family bathrooms. Lounges often have private bathrooms or shower rooms if you have access or can afford to pay.

As for storage, hotels will often let you store in their freezer, or request a freezer to your room if you ask ahead of time. Invest in a couple of great ice packs, and a solid cooler bag. This/your pump does not count as one of your carry on items in many US airlines. Remember that if the milk even has one snowflake of ice still in it, you can still refreeze.

You can do this! Your supply will not disappear because of 4 days. If you notice it lowering, just nurse like crazy when you get back and it will likely return. Be especially kind to yourself on the first trip, and you will get the hang of it for the next one. Hugs!

5 Likes

I felt a little guilty at first, but if there are family restrooms go for those. I also used a pump pod once (like a Mamava). Super easy and free, but you do need to download the app. I think they are in almost every airport at this point?

My employer will ship breastmilk for traveling moms. Would your employer do something like that?

3 Likes

Ooooo maybe shoot your boss this link! Looks like a great option if you can get them to agree to it.

5 Likes

My baby used to feed 15-20 minutes on each side. Then from months 3-4 he dropped to 10-15 minutes per side. Now at 4.5 months he is eating 5-10 minutes per side.

He dropped a weight curve (from 20th to 12th percentile) so I’m more worried about his intake than normal.

Is it normal for babies this age to only eat 5-10 mins per side? He seems satisfied and the breast feels soft and empty most of the time but it feels like that isn’t long enough?

Maybe I should do another weighted feed :thinking:

7 Likes