Pregnancy is weird

Yes, I wear it under my (pricey, not homemade bc I couldn’t figure out how) bakuchiol oil and my lifesaving First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair cream (which is also pricey but is legitimately the only thing in the world that calms my sensitive skin down when I get my “random hives for no reason” and my “no doctor has been able to tell me whether it’s eczema or psoriasis” breakouts on my hands…bizarrely sensitive skin is The Worst).

1 Like

OK, so . . . assuming this is pregnancy-related bc it’s not normal for me, but did anyone else feel oddly, like, almost MANIC in early pregnancy?

It’s SUPER late, and I’m SUPER wired, but also cannot focus on anything long enough to put the energy to good use and get anything done. Also

TMI

My libido is GOING OFF and it’s led to some serious procrasturbation.

I was not even tired when I woke up this morning after not sleeping more than like 6.5 hours. I know I should sleep. I know sleep is good self-care. I know I should at least be getting work/homework done if I’m going to be awake. But all I can seem to do is bug-eyed internet scrolling. Whyyyyy?

1 Like

Yeah pretty much anything and everything can happen while your body is flinging hormones all over the place! I think I had bouts of overheating, insomnia and extremely vivid realistic dreams this time around about weeks 3.5 to 5?

I have gone up a size in maternity undies. Thank goodness I kept everything from last time. My butt is now comfy again.

2 Likes

ohmygod the dreams! I have so many crazy dreams.

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t2: For you!

My 38 week appointment was the last one I had! Thankfully I made it that far because that’s when I met the doctor who delivered the baby. My regular doctor stopped by right after my delivery and told me I could cancel the 39 week appointment set for the next day, lol!

4 Likes

Mazel tov! Glad the prognosis is great. I had a NICU baby and it’s a really unique experience. If you ever want to chat about the NICU, let me know bc I found at the time I couldn’t find enough people to talk about NICU stuff with.

Some sad news

We lost the pregnancy over the course of the last two weeks. I’m not in a place to talk about it more right now, and I’d rather not have a bunch of replies about this to read, but I’ll say I had no idea it could a) take so long b) be so physical or c) that I’d experience postpartum hormones as well as grief.

It sucked/sucks. You know it can happen but I think you kind of imagine it won’t happen to you until it actually does.

But I came here to cross post my post about how much I love doulas from the postpartum thread: Random questions, postpartum edition

I can now say 100% I love doulas for birth and loss and I’ll hire one for postpartum too if I ever have another. Everyone should have them and I’m going to spend the rest of my life throwing money at doulas so they can give care to people who need it and can’t pay. Happy to talk more about doula love anytime.

5 Likes

Adding on to this to plug for an organization that provides doula support to those who can’t afford it. I think this is specific to the Los Angeles area but there may be others across the country as well:

2 Likes

I’m glad you’ve had good doula experiences!

I looked into the ones here and even though the website said they’d go to any kind of delivery, every single bio talked about their “five beautiful homebirths :star_struck:” so I had serious doubts about spending money just to end up with more natural childbirth pressure.

Then Covid meant I could only have one visitor anyway, so the point was moot.

4 Likes

I have a sore throat. It’s either reflux or irritation from extra mucus. I don’t know how to deal with it beyond staying upright forever.

gross

it’s hitting my gag reflex and making my nausea worse. I vomitted from an empty stomach this morning.

Guess I’m drinking warm liquids until everything settles.

3 Likes

In my case, all the doula’s seem to be big on hypnobirthing techniques, assumes you know what that is, and what I want is a masseuse. I’m going to be asking around a physiotherapy-led women’s fitness group I’m part of to see if anyone can give me a lead, as a backup for Ponder would be handy (his hands and arms were very sore last time).

2 Likes

Yuk. I hope it’s short-lived. I had this too in the 2nd trimester. Check with your healthcare pros, but mine told me that zyrtec/cetrizine was safe so I took it a handful of times. And a hot steamy shower cleared me up long enough to fall asleep.

2 Likes

This sounds like a plan. I’ll try propping myself upright tonight after a shower and call my dr if I can’t get it to go away over the weekend.

1 Like

It’s so weird how completely different everyone is in labor. I had a massage therapist doula because I really liked the idea of massage. Of course once I got in there and labor ramped up I couldn’t stand having her touch me. I imagine that this labor I will plan for that and then once is starts, wish desperately that someone would massage me. :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Hahaha you make a good point. Is there even any reason to plan anything?! :joy:

3 Likes

Being massaged didn’t seem like a good idea, and then my doula massaged me and it was good. Her supervisor sent me links to hypnobirthing audio or something but I didn’t click and still don’t know what it was about. My doula was very big on me packing snacks, and then postpartum my doula, mum, partner and I all forgot about snacks and delivery food and we’re just sad that there was no food :joy:. Plans why?

3 Likes

I remember after getting an epidural that all I wanted was food. As the hours ticked by it was becoming more and more clear that my food options would be limited. We did end up getting pizza after and it was quite literally the the greatest food I have ever eaten in my entire life.

4 Likes

My midwife was so encouraging of me to eat and I DID NOT WANT TO. Finally threw up a bunch. I had been quite keen to be able to eat during labor. We never know what we’ll want!

5 Likes

That feeling when someone jumps out and yells “surprise!”

But the person is inside your body (and is like, their foot poking out your belly all of a sudden)

7 Likes

I haven’t had any heartburn for weeks. Last night Mr E wanted pizza for dinner so we ordered pizza. BIG mistake. I barely slept last night between the heartburn and Baby E walking up over and over again from a new tooth coming in. When I got up this morning I felt fine and for 2nd breakfast I had hard boiled eggs, an apple, and a handful of almonds. I’m now in the most extreme pain ever. I can barely think straight, and Baby E is crying because I won’t play with her :sob:

5 Likes

Pizza was the worst acid reflux I had my whole pregnancy. I’m so sorry :sob:

2 Likes