Please help my patio/backyard be nicer

I don’t know. But that’s an interesting idea for the future. I’m sticking with the more simple path for now and leaving the hot tub where it is, but I know mulch is temporary by nature.

I spent $28.80 for TEN bags of mulch yesterday at Lowe’s. I don’t think we’ll even need all 10 but better to have too much than too little and I can return what I don’t use. At that price, I wasn’t too worried about it.

4 Likes

I think this is a good idea, if combined with @LadyDuck’s outdoor rug. But I think I’m with @noodle in that I could do it later. For now, I’m just going with mulch and leaving the hot tub where it is.

4 Likes

I didn’t know that mulch is so cheap! Maybe because we always buy it from a plant nursery :joy:

1 Like

So as of now, the hot tub is back in its place and working again. The rocks were dug up by my son without any bribing, he just did it because I asked him to. :slight_smile: He talked about Pokemon the whole time and I don’t even think he noticed he was working.

We determined the shovel is nowhere to be found. How do people lose a shovel?? We somehow have four rakes, though. :woman_shrugging: Son used a little gardening trowel to dig up the rocks.

Husband and I raked the sad dirt area, still uneven and with tree stumps, but no longer rocks, and it looks better. I bought ten bags of mulch which we are going to spread in the area after we even it out a bit more with a new shovel that Husband has just left to go buy.

I bought some plants. That has been the best part. So far, I have two hanging baskets of flowers, one of yellow petunias and one a mix of flowers that Daughter chose. And I bought 2 big cana lilies, one yellow and one magenta, and a big dahlia plant that is sort of pinkish overall but if you look closely, it’s pale yellow in the center and spreads out to a light pinkish lavender. It’s so cool. Hopefully, it will all come together soon. Stupid missing shovel delayed us a bit. That dahlia plant is so fantastic I kind of want to buy more of them. Hmmm…

I’ve had no luck with cushions so far. Two stores so far for that and nothing. Instead, I saw a lot of cute patio furniture I wish I had instead of what I do have. But I don’t feel like spending that much right now. So I’ll stick to looking for new cushions for what I do have.

11 Likes

Ask on Buy Nothing! Also for patio furniture.

2 Likes

I did ask for cinder blocks, which I got some of, to fill up the area next to the fence where Flower has dug so she can go under and let herself out on a little walkabout, that rascal! I will thwart you with bricks, DOG!

She only does that when we all leave. We have pulled up to the house and found her waiting by the front door. :rofl:

10 Likes

I’m glad you got a dahlia! I bought my first one this year at the plant sale the org I am volunteering with runs. It had blooms on it in early may and is STILL producing tons of blooms. Ignore the fried pea plant near it.

Apparently it is best if you dig up the tubers and store them in a cool dry place during the winter (they rot if they sit in moist soil), but based on how my daffodils did when I just threw them in grow bags (late) and let them hang on the covered porch all winter I will probably try that.

Buy Nothing and Nextdoor have both been good sources for free pots for me. You can get free 2-3 gallon containers from the bakery section at Fred Meyer, and probably other stores too. You just need to drill some drainage holes in them. The ones I got last year are holding up so far. Sometimes nurseries will also have a place in their yard where you can get recycled containers. The bigger ones tend to have big holes under them, but if you have them on the ground or on a drip tray you won’t lose too much water.

Check and see if there are any seed libraries or seed pantries near you. Much of the stuff I am growing this year is from free seeds. I got tons of herbs and flowers. Many varieties of nasturtiums. Calendula. Marigolds. Zinnias. Sweet peas. Hollyhock.

I can send you a big bag of the seeds I save in the fall. I’ll do one shade mix and one sun mix.

2 Likes

Omg you did so much in such a short time! How does it feel?? I hope you get to enjoy the space soon. Maybe even tonight!

1 Like

Ooh wow that’s awesome! New plants! It’s going to feel so much nicer!

1 Like

I feel exhausted!!! :joy:

Can’t decide between relaxing in the hot tub or crawling into bed, but what I should do is go continue to spread the mulch. Two bags are down, many more to go.

4 Likes

How about going to a fancy dinner? :wink:

2 Likes

That was my reward for doing three more bags of mulch! But first, a much-needed shower! It was great to hang out with you again after all this time!

6 Likes

Yes! It was such a nice dinner. And thanks for all the peas :wink:

3 Likes

I will always give you all my peas! :rofl:

I’m feeling very pleased about the changes to the patio/yard. Nothing HUGE, and nothing permanent, but what we did is looking really great. It’s definitely improved. I’ll take pictures tomorrow.

9 Likes

Pictures from this morning. The direct sunlight is a little harsh; I maybe should have waited until afternoon to take them. But I was excited to show you all the outcome!

19 Likes

That looks great!

3 Likes

Wow! What a difference already!

2 Likes

Already? I think I might be done. :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

It’s true that it is not the patio of my dreams. But it’s better, and I think I’ve reached my limit for doing outdoor work in the summer. I want to be done now.

9 Likes

I think I might be mixing up your and @Meowmalade’s backyard projects. Someone was discussing a privacy screen.

2 Likes