Plastic Free July 2019

My local Coles tends to sell loaves just wrapped in a bit of paper with a sticker (still plastic, but I figure less than a whole bag), is that a Coles wide thing or just some stores?

1 Like

Day 2

Used/purchased

• tortilla (existing) - this was the last tortilla, so the bag goes to the stockpile for dog poop and kitty litter
  • vitamins (existing)
  • half and half (existing) - it expires tomorrow, so I might make ice cream from the rest
  • maple syrup (existing) - made pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast. Sometimes I buy it in the glass bottle, but this time I bought the bigger, more economical bottle (which is plastic)
  • orange juice concentrate (existing) - sometimes I use concentrate with my fizzy water, and an open one (in a little plastic container) had gotten pushed to the back of the fridge. There’s probably one more serving left.
  • potting soil (existing) - I finally potted up my apple trees, I really don’t want them to die, so.
  • MiracleGrow (existing) - fertilized apple trees and my park strip, my soil is not healthy enough yet for just compost
  • Viralys (existing) - this is like probiotics for cats. I had gotten it when kittens were little and snotty, and since then have only given it once every time I open a new can (every 4 days). The container is so very close to being empty and I can’t wait to have it out of my house, so I will continue to give it to them.
  • Lipiderm (existing) - this is a fish oil supplement for Doggo. I try to give it every day to help wit her joints. She is going to be (maybe) transitioning to a different food, so I might not continue it after this bottle is done.
  • Petromalt (existing) - this is a mineral oil supplement for the kittens to help prevent hairballs, and it comes in a tube like toothpaste. They get it every few days. Gotta prevent those hairballs (and just brushing doesn’t quite to it).
  • Doggo medication (existing) - I forgot this yesterday, but Doggo takes gabapentin and deramaxx, which come in plastic pharmacy vials. Obviously I am not going to stop those.

Nothing new purchased, but I did forget a few things on Day 1.

2 Likes

Today instead of going to the store to get chocolate syrup, which comes in a big plastic bottle, I made some out of cocoa powder, sugar, salt and vanilla, the containers of which contain significantly less plastic. Gonna tweak the recipe but might do this from now on.

4 Likes

I made this once because all the commercial stuff I could find had corn syrup as like the first ingredient! It was good (I think it was cocoa powder, melted chocolate, vanilla, sugar, maybe a few other things). The only bad thing was it needed to be kept refrigerated, so you had to warm it up if you wanted to use it. But if you have a microwave it’s no problem! (I had to warm the jar in a pot of water, it was a little annoying, but made me consider if I really wanted it, lol.)

2 Likes

Avoided

• disposable coffee cup
  • 2x disposable babyccino cups (we did a byo for Pikelet and her friend)
  • plastic water bottle
  • 1-2x disposable nappies
  • however many tampons and pads I would have used pre menstrual cup
  • Packaging for the sesame seeds in dinner.

Used/purchased

• toothpaste plastic tube (existing)
  • deodorant in plastic (existing)
  • sunscreen (existing, also not going to give this up anytime soon)
  • coffee beans in whatever foil and ?? packaging
  • make up in plastic packaging (existing)
  • 1 x pad (I spent the day out and haven’t used the menstrual cup before so wanted to be sure, existing)
  • bread in plastic for Pikelet’s lunch (existing)
  • milk from plastic bottle
  • wheetbix in plastic (existing)
  • honey from plastic container (existing)
  • 2x disposable nappies
  • baby wipes from plastic packaging
  • rice from plastic packaging for dinner
  • produce sticker on a lime for dinner
  • produce tag on Chinese greens for dinner
  • basil in plastic packaging for dinner (left over from last night).

other feel good things

• Pikelet and I took the train into the library and then walked into the city after
  • We are looking for a birthday gift for Mr Pancakes and settled on a tea cup and saucer so he can join in the tea parties we have. We look at new things in the stores but said no to buying new and will hit up second hand stores tomorrow.
1 Like

Day 3

Used/purchased

• spray coconut oil (existing) - it turns out I also use this for popcorn (lol). I made popcorn last night and went to use it, then though maybe not, then used it anyway, thinking it would use up the can. It did not (use up the can), but it must be super close to being empty. It feels (and sounds when I shake) empty, but oil still comes out when I spray!
  • half and half (existing)
  • orange juice concentrate (existing) - container is now empty, considering keeping it to reuse for something, maybe… I do not wish to be a hoarder, so if I don’t think of a good use in a few weeks it is getting recycled.
  • popcorn seasoning (existing) - I went to use the Dorito knockoff popcorn seasoning I made but couldn’t find it… (maybe I used it all up?)… so I used some of the Kernal Seasons popcorn seasoning I got from my friend who moved (and left the ACV and instant potatoes and other stuff). It isn’t something I would have bought myself, and I got them for free, but they still are in plastic shakers.
  • coffee bean bag (existing) - ran out of regular beans and tossed the bag; some bags are recyclable, but some are plastic coated paper (and of course some are metal film), and this bag did not indicate which it was, so I pitched it.
  • distilled white vinegar (existing) - I needed to clean the toilet last night (as scheduled) but I was out of toilet cleaner! So I went on the internet and saw lots of recommendations for cleaning with vinegar + baking soda. So that’s what I did. I have no idea if it is really clean, but it looks clean, so… ? My white vinegar I use for cleaning is in a giant plastic jug (most economical), but I already had it on hand. I am certainly not going to buy fancy in-glass vinegar to clean my toilet. :stuck_out_tongue: Lead time for making your own vinegar is about 3-4 weeks minimum, so in theory I can make my own (and have apple scrap vinegar brewing right now), but it will take a little while for any to be ready. That’s ok, I have most of the giant jug still, which should last at least a few months, I think.

Nothing new purchased, but I did forget a few things on Day 2.

Considerations:

I think I will not continually list things I use every day, like toothpaste and vitamins, and just recount them at the very end as “daily” thing.

I did buy powdered soap for the washer. Apparently things have come far since front loading HE machines were introduced! I could swear you couldn’t use (or maybe find) powdered detergent for HE front loader machines. Anyway, I bought some Arm & Hammer (no scent no dyes)… I wanted to get a smaller package, but they didn’t have any of the A&H in small packages, the small package brands were all perfume-y stuff which I hate, and the small boxes were cost almost as much as the large. So… I bought one that is supposed to last for 100 loads. OMG, between that and the liquid stuff I bought the other day (and will use for Doggo’s potty pads) I have enough detergent to last me, like, forever.

ALSO, I went to my local coffee roasters yesterday (there is one like 2 miles from my house, why have I not been buying from them? Oh, right, it is more expensive. But listen - they roast like every day so the coffee is super fresh. AND they sell green beans, should I want to go that route…) ANYWAY, I ran out of regular beans so I went to see if they had something similar to my dearly departed Doma Urth (RIP). They did have me try their espresso blend (it is pretty good, I like it). But also, GREAT NEWS:

PERFECT.

I think my game plan, once I finish the decaf beans I still have (not too many left), is to just make a small amount each day of full caf and cut myself off. Maybe 2 cups right now, and possibly go to one later. Currently I am brewing usually what amounts to 3.5 and vary between half decaf or 2caf:1decaf. I might also get a pourover or aeropress. (I talked about this 6 months ago or more when I was still at work, to get for work, but then I quit.) I’ll keep the machine for when people visit but otherwise brew one cup at a time. This will make it more intentional and less of a mindless habit.

I also purchased for testing purposes: evaporated goat milk, evaporated regular (cow) milk, and something called media crema (table cream), in cans, to test for use instead of half & half, when it is empty. I already have a can of sweetened condensed milk in the cupboard (and have used it for Thai iced coffee before, it is so good). I will keep my powdered goat milk to try to make cheese from (soon).

I also learned that plastic coated beverage containers (like juice and milk) are in fact recyclable. I had been recycling them, but then thought they weren’t by my recycler, so stopped. It turns out tetrapacks are not recyclable because they contain an embedded metal layer (you know, shelf stable milk and such), but plastic coated cardboard are fine. Good to know for the future (maybe…?)

Oh! I also learned that empty aerosol cans are also recyclable as long as they are empty. So my coconut oil cans can go in the recycling, though their plastic lids have NO NUMBER ON THEM FOR SOME REASON and so can’t . (grrrr)

5 Likes

Day 3

Used (new)

• Nothing! :white_check_mark:

Used (existing)

• Corn cobs in a Ziploc bag - washed it to reuse
  • Other food stored in reusable plastic containers
  • Threw out plastic wrap used on meat bones
  • Apple cider vinegar (glass bottle plastic cap)
  • Ear plugs
  • Electronics? Cell phone, laptop, chargers, headphones
  • Transit card
  • Toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, comb, hair tie

Avoided

• Plastic water bottle
  • Packaged snacks
  • Any food/drink bought at bar
  • Shampoo/conditioner
  • Chapstick
  • Sunscreen (went out later in the day)

(I keep editing to add more things because I forgot. Easy to ignore just how much I use every day.)

1 Like

I bought bar shampoo that came wrapped in paper! So cool! Curious as to how long it will last me.

4 Likes

Yes I was thinking this too, especially the things that I’m not looking for an alternative for right now or definitely won’t run out of during the month. On the other hand, it has been eye opening to list them all out.

I have been leaving a few things off. Like the plastic lids on glass sauce bottles. There really is so much plastic.

Yes I have been editing to add things everyday. It is easy to overlook things. So much plastic involved in all aspects of my life. :unamused:

2 Likes

Yesterday Mr H used our onya bread bag to buy bread at a bakery! Yay! He did also buy milk and raspberries at the supermarket, wrapped in plastic. Sigh. Trying to focus on the win.

2 Likes

We spent this week mostly using up stuff bought in plastic on 30 June and earlier. I’ve been compiling a list of the items I think we can get in bulk fairly easily, and I’m going to a store next week to see what their system is like.

I’m trialling powdered detergent for our washing machine this week. Seems OK so far. Next week I’ll be trying powdered detergent for the dishwasher too.

We bought some more winter clothes for kiddo, which were mostly cotton but also included little plastic bits on the tags.

I received my order of goodies including stainless steel pegs, DH’s new thermos for breakfasts (HUGE, so I might try some smaller tub ideas I have too), and a few shopping bags. Also stapler-less staplers, to give as gifts. Only plastic was a bit of wrapping on the thermos, the rest was paper or cardboard :smiley:

2 Likes

I tried to buy bread without a bag today (had a clean calico one on me) but the person at the bakery either didn’t understand or didn’t want to do it and I was given it in a plastic bag in my bag. Will have to try again.

4 Likes

Ah shite. I realised margarine pretty much only comes in plastic tubs. I might be able to try this recipe? Gonna keep searching for recipes. Seems odd to use coconut milk in there.

2 Likes

Almost all of it contains palm oil, too. I’m switching to using plain butter, but I know that may not work for you with Duckling’s dairy intolerance.

2 Likes

Yes, Duckling is the reason I switched from butter to marg in the first place. It suuuucks.

I have only used 1 disposable nappy (besides overnight) today.

I am suddenly realising how much plastic use is just built in automatically. I ended up with plastic cutlery today because it never even occurred to me that it would come with the food item - after all, I was taking it home to eat! So I’m saving that and a straw I got on accident for future use.

2 Likes

Notes from today:

• I remembered that our toilet paper is plastic free as I shredded a wrapper to compost.
  • We (I) am doing awesome at using our cloth nappies, except in the afternoon when I forget I need to change more often, and the toddler seems too tired to be bothered, until there is a leak.
  • I cooked straight on the baking tray tonight, no grease proof paper like the recipe called for. (I don’t do the washing up though so we’ll see how well that goes down with Mr Pancakes).
  • We planted some basil and coriander seeds in old plastic pots we had under the house from buying plants.
  • besides the bread hiccups and getting some disposable nappies for overnight, our top up grocery shop today avoided single use plastics.
  • I spent more than $30 at the automated checkout it didn’t give me the option to refuse the receipt.
  • I used all the usual plastic things - baby wipes, disposable nappy overnight, toothpaste, deodorant, etc

Does anyone have experience that they are willing to share using cloth baby wipes? We are almost out of the disposable kind.

1 Like

My BFF uses a small water bottle to wet hers, but I don’t know what sort she’s got. I think she has a plethora of wetbags to keep them in too.

1 Like

Day 4

Italicized items were obtained secondhand.

Used (new)

• Nothing :white_check_mark:

Used (existing)

• Band-aid (put this on yesterday, forgot to note it)
  • Ear plugs (some kind of foam?)
  • Electronics: Cell phone, laptop, chargers, headphones
  • Transit card
  • Bathroom/personal: Toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo, hand soap, comb, hair tie, shower curtain
  • Kitchen: Kettle, dishwashing liquid, hand soap, sponge, reusable food containers, disposable frozen vegetable bag
  • Slinky
  • Wearable: Backpack, sneakers, flip flops, cardigan, jacket, bra, underwear, socks? (have parts that are either rubber or plastic)
  • Mattress? (not high end, wonder what’s in it)

Avoided

• Plastic coffee stirrer (went with wood stirrer, need to throw cutlery in my bag)
  • Replacing my band aid
  • Plastic water bottle, packaged snacks
  • Thermal receipt (no purchases)
  • Chapstick, sunscreen, lotion, body wash from a bottle, razor/shaving cream
  • Ongoing temptation: melatonin, Tums, replacement wall timer, cheap candy, credit card

Fun Facts

• I don’t know the difference between rubber and plastic or what’s in most of the stuff I wear and sleep on. At least a lot of it was secondhand.

Possible Future Changes

to be added to

This is mostly for when I/we run out of our current supply of consumables. Harder to sell when it affects my roommates and might be more expensive, but listing personal and household anyway.

• Bar soap instead of hand soap in pump bottle
  • Bar shampoo/conditioner (my hair doesn’t even like the generic Head and Shoulders, so might be hard to find bar versions that work for me)
  • Powdered/disc dishwasher soap?
  • Powdered laundry detergent?
  • Shaving cream alternative?
  • TP: buy the ones wrapped in paper without inside paper cylinder
  • Oils and such from bulk bin
1 Like

I need to buy toilet paper for the house. I am genuinely unsure if I can find any in town that is not plastic-wrapped. Especially non-plastic-wrapped options that are more than one roll. (Six residents + frequent guests = a lot of TP use, plus some of my housemates are v wasteful with TP.) I would prefer to not order TP off Amazon because eff Amazon, but that may be my only no-plastic option. (Unless the Amazon package would have plastic in it? Ugh.)

I need to get floss soon too. That is veeeery likely to be an online purchase. Anyone ever manage to find a good compostable dental tape (not a thin cut-yr-gums floss)?

We did a successful grocery shop at the farmers market today! My goal is to achieve a plastic free shop by the end of July. Lots of veg had elastic bands, but other than the toddlers demanded berries we avoided extra packaging. Having enough produce bags has made a huge difference.

2 Likes