• The Graveyard Book
  • The Halloween Tree

0 voters

1 Like

Oooooh very nice :ghost:

1 Like

I like spooky books :grin:

1 Like

I vote “yes” to all, though I should probably see what I can easily Library.

1 Like

Did you consider/have y’all already read Something Wicked This Way Comes?

2 Likes

Think it was last year? I think.

1 Like

Dang, I missed out. Oh well, new books are always good!

1 Like

I don’t think the threads close so you could always read it and add to the old thread!

And the winner is… The Haunting of Hill House! :tada: Good symmetry with last year.

1 Like

I have been reading this, but I’m having a really hard time getting into it. Usually I could read a book this short in one sitting.

Then again, I’ve been doing my office floors all week and this is the one book I can’t seem to get my hands on an audio version from the library.

1 Like

I did not get a hold on this soon enough and now I’m hold #9 on 2 copies :frowning:

1 Like

I’m #4 on 1 copy! Estimate wait is 8 weeks :frowning: Maybe everyone ahead of me will read it real quick and return early.

1 Like

Yeah, I remembered too late that I need to do the poll earlier so we all have time to get it from the library :woman_facepalming:t2: I ended up buying a copy! But I’ve been meaning to do that anyway.

Ok, so I had a doctor’s appointment and read the book in the midst of waiting, and it was…

Fine?

Like it seemed like nothing spooky happened for a good half of the book. Then when things did happen it wasn’t that spooky. It seemed more a commentary on ghosts stories and fear. But mostly I was bored and as with other Shirley Jackson books, felt like I was missing something.

Me last night: I’ve read Hill House a half-dozen times. It doesn’t scare me anymore. I can read a few pages last thing before bed.
Me 15 minutes later getting to the knocking on the walls: oh no I was wrong

4 Likes

Hey I finally got this and read it!

Yeah, I’m not generally good with scary movies, and I assumed books would be ok. I make bad decisions, however, and finished the book basically in the middle of the night when everyone else was asleep, so I was wrong and it freaked me out.

1 Like