Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

yes, google sheets not dealing well with the horizontal axis is frustrating me too. but not enough to go back to excel. I don’t have a good way to track home value, so I haven’t.

1 Like

I changed our house value when we got it reappraised to get rid of our PMI, and when we moved, but overall I leave it at the price we paid for it.

It just took me way too long to figure out how to get my horizontal axis to even display my dates, haha, so I commiserate with all of you. It’s still not right, even! Starts at 2016, ends at 2024.

5 Likes

Same.

The next few months should be interesting. Big costs (~$13k + ~$10k prepaids) in buying a home, but it is appraised for $32.6k more than we’re paying at closing. Selling a house :crossed_fingers: where we should be able to bump the value from the appraised value ($395k) from 2016 to what it sells for ($540-600k?!). But… then selling costs can easily eat up 8-10% of the sales price. Can’t see it selling for less than $540k, assume 10% / $54k in closing and we’re still net positive $91k. (Hope my assumptions are conservative and we do better!)

5 Likes

This was fun - here’s ours. Does not include home equity. We started seeing massive jumps after daycare costs ended in 2016 and both DH and I got significant pay increases. This investment stuff works!
Edit: I think something is a bit off because 2020-2022 should be a bigger jump based on market performance, but I don’t really care enough to figure it out.

6 Likes

I’m so excited for this! Our younger kid goes to kindergarten this fall (I’m still surprised she’s already going to be 5, though).

4 Likes

I’m excited for you! It is such a huge deal. We also moved to a lower COL in 2016 (still mid to high though) and that helped, but by far, daycare was the biggest change. After-care and summer camps are much less straining. I think 2017 was the first year we started maxing 401Ks.

1 Like

Not sure what your portfolio looks like, but my net worth dropped significantly by the end of 2022 (mostly VTSAX / VTIAX).

2 Likes

Oh, yeah that’s right! Those were some rough months, and for some reason I am missing my 2021 year-end wrap up number. Mystery solved!

2 Likes

Invested assets (Apr 2008-Feb 2024)

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 9.15.02 AM

line went up, and could tick over another line. that would be cool, except that we’ll probably pull kitchen money before then, or markets will correct or something. (+5% ytd, including contributions)

9 Likes

Vanguard just sent out their yearly prospectus. Apparently the Vanguard Total Market fund went up almost 26% in 2023. That seems like a thing that’s not going to continue, but I do love what it’s done for our numbers this last year.

7 Likes

My investments have grown by 20K since the year started. It is bizarre.

7 Likes

a person in my knitting group said that they put money into RRSPs before the deadline last year, and hadn’t gotten around to investing it, not even in HISA or GIC. They just put in another batch of money as cash. She said ‘at least we didn’t lose anything’.

3 Likes

Yeah, it all feels very weird and fake, but I like those dividends that keep coming out.

3 Likes

the graph is so weird. not just the growth, but that it covers 16 years, 25% of the chart is after March 2020. that time feels much closer, and yet not. Even the more recent high in Dec 21 when I committed to quitting, and the dip in Sept 2022 when I started the contract gig are so many data points away.

3 Likes

Just did ours and damn. Why am I working again? Oh yeah, health insurance.

10 Likes

Hi are you me?

5 Likes

our MainFI reached out to the shadowy one, “your investments have not been reviewed in the past year, and given the current market conditions, it is important to ensure that your current portfolios still match expectations.”

I mean, it hasn’t met expectations, it is definitely outperforming my (admittedly conservative) plans, but I suspect that isn’t what they meant. What do they hear from clients as to their perceptions of market conditions?

10 Likes

I’m $10k away from hitting $200k net-worth, just counting my own assets!!! Took about 3 years to go from $100k to $190k

24 Likes

we did not tick over the line, but I am not complaining (8.5% ytd)

Apr 2008-Mar 2024

Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 9.45.59 AM

8 Likes

Aug. 2015 thru Mar. 2024

Net worth up about 8% this quarter! (Liquid assets went slightly lower with house purchase.)

7 Likes