Mulling a small business idea -- would you use it?

First thing that came to mind was translating tech manuals, if you’re a techie.

If not, the kind of household worker we’d like here in a household of 2 oldsters, one still working, is a resource to help with the jobs one of us cant do alone… previously brush removal was a biggie. We’re still working on that, but it’s not as bad as it was, since we bought a van…

What Ive always wanted was "insurance, " a company I hired to get all the routine maintnance done or scheduled: chimney sweeping, septic emptying, minisplit annual servicing, checking for rot, bug spraying as needed, brush removal, etc.

1 Like

Sorry I’m late to this discussion, it was “Christmas” this weekend!

I have no moneys for outsourcing things at present. If I did, it is planning type things. Like, calling cat sitters to find one with an opening. I don’t use daycare but a working mom might could use help making a spreadsheet of costs and wait lists. That kind of thing. Scanning medical bills for my HSA records. Filing. Signing up the children for sports.

3 Likes

There’s a company in Portland that does this! I haven’t used it but have heard of it- https://www.pdxwaitlist.com/

1 Like

Yes i think having some to reduce the amount of emotional labor would be magnificent.

I’m so fried i can’t even think about how that would work.

A service to find the right daycare, the right summer camp

To organize the massive amounts of paperwork and make sure everyone’s medical appts are on time

4 Likes

OMG SUMMER CAMP. This is outside my scope of experience and I think we can agree that it is the #1 best thing about the XFP is that he doesn’t work a year-round 9-to-5 so we don’t have to do camp, and this is worth every penny of child support that I don’t get (I get some, just, you know, not much).

But I have heard tell of the spreadsheets and calendars and complicated plans. This could be a whole own business in its own right.

2 Likes

I literally have to start signing him up for summer camp next month

3 Likes

That’s nuts, last year they didn’t even have the sign ups open till … March I think, in my area. Not sure about winter break camps, spring break camps were in January/February (definitely not in December, I looked).

But yes I was definitely in the spreadsheet having crowd - cost, actual hours of care, which side of town is it on, are they doing theme weeks where one week might be cooler than another.

3 Likes

The robot overlords are eavesdropping. I’m starting to get ads for a service like this (yohana.com).

1 Like