Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

I waited until my current bottle of vitamins was almost out before buying a new one! I’ve been watching a lot of the recommended Youtubes above and there was one about “low buy.” One of the rules the woman made for herself was “replacements only.” Feels useful for me to institute that at this juncture.

7 Likes

Hmmm… containing my Partner may have to be a new budget line. Since we’ve had our budget:

• He snuck in takeout because he was nervous about not knowing what was for dinner
  • He and Meowlet ate out at the zoo because the zoo is fun
  • Got 3 random sunflowers to gift
  • A $100 staple run for who knows what

Sigh.

14 Likes
A rant

I have exactly zero idea how exactly this played out and why takeout was reasonable, but this reminded me of every conversation Human and I have about trading off dinner, which goes…
H “well I can’t make dinner when I don’t know when you’ll be ready for dinner. Sometimes you work late or work out. And by the time I figure this out I don’t have time before my [international] meeting in 30 minutes.”
G “OK, so what if you just went off your schedule and I adapt? I start dinner when it’s time for dinner and sometimes you eat at your desk or heat it up and it’s fine. I want you to do that.”
H “But what if you don’t like what I make? It seems like whenever I suggest something you don’t want it or make other suggestions.”
G "… Maybe, but that’s because you started a discussion instead of just making it. If you just make it I will eat it unless it’s straight eggplant and ghost chilies or something. "
H “… Yeah well maybe… Now it’s too late to cook and we’re angry let’s get takeout.”

PS my suggestions are usually (not always) along the lines of “hey that sounds great but we really need to use up the chicken/tomatoes/peppers/salad greens/leftovers can we incorporate that/I was thinking tacos.”

11 Likes

haha that sounds so relatable. We don’t have that same struggle but it feels like the same loops and logical gaps from decision making in the moment. This time it was specifically because he was driving back from the farm with the kiddo and wouldn’t have time to cook and hadn’t received (and tbf, nor asked for) confirmation on dinner :joy: So, understandable, but also ???

7 Likes

Do you think you might feel more like you are “saving” if you put more into the business retirement plan rather than the work one? Does physically moving the money around yourself make it feel more real than the automatic deductions?

2 Likes

Uh so it turns out that right now, for where we are financially and so on, this kind of feels like Christmas? I have put aside the money to save so instead of being unsure if we can “afford” something, I just check the lump of “free spending money” and decide if I want it this month or if something else is more urgent or wanted. Which means I can now comfortably save up for the play equipment I want.

11 Likes
Meal Planning

This week I went totally off book on my meal plan about midway through because I underestimated how much we’d eat. It all worked out thanks to freezer meat and pantry stuff. Here’s what I’m planning for next week. I think my costs will be higher, close to $90 or $100 because of all the dairy.

List and meal plans:

Produce

2 bunches bananas

1 bag oranges

1 bag apples

1 bag pears

1 bag onions

1 box spinach

2 box mushrooms

1 bags broccoli

1 bag idaho potatoes

1 bag tomatoes

1 bag carrots

6 ears corn

2 bunches cilantro

1 bag jalapeno

1 bag bell peppers

1 bag limes

Aldi

2 dozen eggs

1 sour cream

1 cream cheese

1 cotija cheese

1 parmesan

2 cheddar cheese

4 cans evaporated milk

2 cans chickpeas

2 loaves sandwich bread

1 oats

1 bag chocolate chips

2 bags tortilla chips

1 box rotini

1 smoked paprika

My Breakfast/Snacks- Cream Cheese Butter Toast + Tomatoes, Peanut Butter Chocolate Oat Bars, Fruit, Tomato Soup, Eggs

His Breakfast/Snacks- Sausage Spinach Onion Frittata, Cornbread, Crackers/Bought snacks, etc.

Lunch Monday-Friday- Beef and Broccoli and Carrot and Pepper with Rice

Dinner Monday- Cornbread + Giant Spinach Salad (parmesan, beets, artichokes, candied walnuts, chickpeas, mushrooms, peppers, croutons)

Dinner Tuesday- Cornbread + Giant Spinach Salad

Dinner Wed. - Vegetarian Nachos (2 beans, peppers, cilantro, potato, sour cream, tomato) + Elote

Dinner Thursday- Vegetarian Nachos + Elote

Dinner Friday- Vegetarian Nachos + Elote

Food pics

Nicest pics from the last week.

(was trying out some new decorative stuff on this one, lol)

17 Likes

Just checking this thread to remind myself not to check the things Poshmark thinks I want!

7 Likes

I got two packages yesterday. They were refills of a specialized supplement (one as powder, one in pill form for travel…) I felt sad that my packages were boring. Online shopping is supposed to be FUN dang it. (Or is it…:wink:) (I actually think this is a False Belief my brain has… not fun things still cost money.)

3 Likes

Ooh. I want to try this. Need to update my tiller sheet to make it easier to see how much “available” fun money I have each month.

1 Like

your pieeeee! so beautiful. :heart_eyes: now I want pie. What kind is it?

2 Likes

I did not save money, but I got food with vegetables for “linner” and I’m happy with this decision.

4 Likes

That pie crust is gorgeous!

1 Like

@mountainmustache29 Raspberry! I didn’t make it but I bought it at an amish store last spring. Super sweet but good.

@LadyDuck Thank you!

So I ended up totally re-doing my meal plan.

Summary

I decided I want to prioritize more money toward meat per pound without upping my budget (or only by a small amount). I’ve tried the meat at Aldi pretty extensively at this point and I still have some in the freezer that I’ll use up happily. There’s nothing wrong with it, I just think I’d rather have meat less often overall and spring for more expensive sources. I also want to try out more variety within each week now that I have so much more time to cook!

My Breakfast/Snacks- Cream Cheese Butter Toast, Peanut Butter Oat Bars, Fruit

His Breakfast/Snacks- Potato Onion Frittata, Fruit, Crackers/Bought snacks, etc.

Lunch Monday-Wednesday- Vegetarian Chili (with wheat berries, beans, peppers, beans, corn, sweet potato) and Cornbread

Lunch Thursday-Friday- Beef Pad Prik King, Cucumber Salad, Rice

Dinner Monday- Polenta and Mushrooms with Herb Parm Red Potatoes

Dinner Tuesday- Polenta and Mushrooms with Herb Parm Red Potatoes

Dinner Wed. - Vegetarian Nachos (2 beans, peppers, cilantro, potato, sour cream, tomato) + Elote

Dinner Thursday- Vegetarian Nachos + Elote

Dinner Friday- Vegetarian Nachos + Elote

Produce

1 bunch bananas

1 bag oranges

1 bag apples

1 bag pears

6 ears corn

1 bag tomatoes

1 bag jalapenos

2 cilantro

2 boxes mushrooms

2 bags red potatoes

1 bag idaho potatoes

1 bag sweet potatoes

1 bag cucumbers

1 bag green beans

1 bag bell peppers

1 red pepper flakes

1 bag onions

Aldi

1 dozen eggs

1 yogurt

1 sour cream

1 cream cheese

1 cotija cheese

1 parmesan

2 cheddar cheese

1 bag chocolate chips

1 oats

4 cans evaporated milk

2 bags tortilla chips

1 loaf sandwich bread

1 box rotini

1 smoked paprika

6 Likes
$pending last week and next week!

I’m happy with household spending this week! I had to get two types of vitamins unexpectedly, but I’m counting that as medical. Other than that I spent on public transit ($28.50 total, but I won’t have to buy that next week). We spent $65 on entertainment and food out, which isn’t bad at all since we spent nothing else!

This coming week I need to buy some body wash and sunscreen for me and deodorant for dh. That’s all I really have to get other than regular groceries, but I’m running out of a few pantry staples (paprika, couscous, bulgur) which might necessitate a trip to the co-op at some point. I could also get some meat at the same time so maybe I should plan on that in a couple of weeks.

I will spend a bit going to a museum with a friend ($12 plus public transit) and I imagine we’ll get food after. My friend is pretty go with the flow so I think if I pick a place that’s the best bet (for low cost and good food). Other than that I should be utilizing my gym membership and public transit a lot. DH does need some more pants for work since he’s going back to the office. I need to push us to do a trip soon so that could happen this week, I’m thinking Nordstrom Rack and Burlington Coat Factory are our best bets.

7 Likes

All of my thredup purchases have arrived!!

How many tops is reasonable for one person to own and use on a regular basis? More precisely, how many black sleeveless shirts with minor detailing differences is reasonable to own :rofl:

I guess I know what kind of top makes me feel good? I’m planning to keep two basic v-neck tees, two dressy/casual tops that are light grey and cream colored, one white blouse, and…3 black sleeveless tops? 5? 7?

9 Likes

As long as they spark joy as many as you want. :grin:

4 Likes

I’m not the best example if you’re going for a capsule wardrobe, but lately my verdict has been, if I run out of [beloved type of clothing item] between regular laundry days and have to make do with something uncomfortable and/or unflattering, I don’t have enough. And should probably replace the uncomfortable/unflattering/less loved items with more of the loved items.

A way that works for me to figure out if I should give things away is to pack them in a box and see if I miss them… Maybe doesn’t work for returns though.

8 Likes

FWIW I have 2 black target tank tops, 4 black sleeveless work tops/blouses, at least 3 cotton black tees, 2 synthetic black workout tees, 3 long sleeve black tees/shirts. Plus 4 black/grey/white sleeveless blouses… And I do have colors in my wardrobe, too!

I wear all these regularly, though less so since WFH esp the work wardrobe, obv. I also do laundry maybe once in 3 weeks :grimacing: because I have to lug it down to the laundry room and it’s a Project. Easier to just throw a load in when it’s in unit.

3 Likes

As many as it means you don’t have to stress about laundry on a busy week. :joy:

ETA I probably have 8-10 solid color v necks (my daily wear item).

4 Likes