Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

Me three! Instant Pot eggs are the only ones I can ever get to peel. I’ve tried like 5 or 6 tricks other people told me were sure to work, but the Instant Pot is the only true solution.

3 Likes

Do I need an egg rack? The pressure cooker I inherited has no rack to speak of

1 Like

Possibly? I use a wire basket or a metal wire trivet thing that my mother in law bought me and both work. The basket is easier because you don’t have to balance things.

1 Like

I use the metal thing that came with mine but I bet you could improvise something - maybe using balls of foil? You just want the eggs suspended above the water. You put in a little water, maybe around a cup, then use pressure for 5 min and 5 min natural release before manual release.

3 Likes

Are those instructions for high altitude? I’m at a lower elevation and I cook mine for 4 mins w/ quick release.

Yes! This also blew my mind. I do it in an old school bamboo steamer but you can even use a colander over a pot. Soft boiled = 8 minutes steaming over a boil.

(And thanks @Meowkins <3 )

3 Likes

Oh interesting. I don’t think so. I just looked up a recipe online the first time for hard boiled eggs in the instant pot :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

LOL, that’s what I did. Guess eggs are pretty hard to mess up.

1 Like

Have you tried old eggs? All the hacks in the world won’t overcome if you’re using fresh eggs for hard boiled.

2 Likes

I have, yes. It’s not that the hacks never work, it’s that the working is VERY inconsistent. But with the instant pot I can use fresh eggs from our own chickens and it still works! I think it’s amazing, haha.

4 Likes

Woah. Count me in the “mind blown by steamed eggs” category. I’m definitely trying this.

4 Likes

I have to defend not buying $9 berries :joy: that’s usually an indication they’ll Taste like sawdust. $1.99 a flat is when they’re delicious and in season.

10 Likes

That’s definitely fair!

I know it’s so pedantic and I’m sure he’s using it symbolically and not literally, but it still annoys me a little just on principal. Some of us misers are very rational in our miserliness. :joy:

6 Likes

I know! I never buy grocery store berries because they will probably be moldy. Fresh out of the garden (or from the farmers market) is where it’s at.

2 Likes

Hey! I know someone mentioned the Instagram page that they post all of the previous Costco sale flyers to try and get a rotation on when to buy things for a good price, does anyone remember what it is? I tried looking and failed :disappointed:

3 Likes

ETA
https://instagram.com/costco_empties?utm_medium=copy_link

Turns out all I had to do was search the forums for “toilet paper Costco” and it showed up. Thank you!

3 Likes

They haven’t posted the most recent one! I’m afraid we already recycled it :grimacing: I know that Kirkland wipes and Huggies diapers will be on sale lol but I don’t remember anything else!

1 Like

This site looks sketchy but shows it lol.

Time for some not feeling well money aka food planning.

Easy meals we have available
Green curry x1
Pad Thai x1
Oatmeal
Rice crispies
Hummus and rice cakes
Tinned fish/egg with low carb bread x2
Frozen burrito
Crackers and vegan cheese x4
Charcuterie x4
Smoked salmon
Zucchini or regular noodles and jarred sauce x 4