Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

This podcast is some seriously good shit! I’m reading the transcripts, I prefer to read rather than listen as listening causes me to zone out - so I’m probably missing some nuance. But, YES, I see a lot of myself in this.

3 Likes

cough
looks around sheepishly

Uh, yeah. This. I learned how to make jewelry in a class I signed up for in order to… wait for it… relieve stress.

:rofl:

9 Likes

Oh no! So sorry I contributed to a derail/made this an unfun space for anyone!! Not my intent, just got carried away :sweat:

2 Likes

But is it glittery purple??

4 Likes

Oh I should find my fun pens and bring them out for regular use! That’s a great idea, I’ll get more joy from them. Hmm, or I can bring out all the almost finished ones and then have less pens faster. I may make a tub of each…

7 Likes

I’ll never tell :wink:

1 Like

Use-what-I-have meal planning:

• I have 1 hamburger bun left so I think I will cook some vegan meatballs in some leftover pasta sauce and have a meatball sandwich
  • Curried lentils
  • Thai pumpkin/coconut soup.
  • Pasta with cheese and veggie sauce
  • I have a ton of beans but am sick of chili already. Thinking about chickpea “tuna” salad and also maybe something like this: https://www.budgetbytes.com/tomato-herb-rice-with-white-beans-and-spinach/
  • TJ’s spinach artichoke dip with garlic naan
2 Likes

I think I forgot to post my meal plan this week? Thx for the reminder Tris!

Breakfast- Cheesy Hash Brown Frittata/Pupu platter

Lunch- Burrito/Bowl with Rice, Potato, Beans, TVP, Pico, Cheese

Dinner #1- Baked Feta Pasta + Roasted Carrots + Brussels Sprouts

Dinner #2- Somen Mushroom Noodle Soup + Braised Chicken + Broccoli with Garlic

Treats- Candy, Crackers, Fruit, Baked Goods, Fresh Lemonade

7 Likes

I tried a new to me scone recipe using SR flour and coconut cream, and now I have a ridiculously quick & easy recipe for when guests visit or we need to bring something. That will save on both stress and bought baked goods, and was delicious.

We are currently aiming to get to next Wednesday without another full grocery shop, just supplementing with items like bread & milk until then, because we’ll be away for a week.

2 Likes

Oooo, I forgot I have stuff for taco salad too. Yum.

I’m enjoying reading Ramit’s podcast transcripts. I used to read his blog a million years ago, wouldn’t have thought he’d be, like, a couples therapist but it seems like he’s not too shabby at it. Based on my own experiences in couples therapy. I really cannot stand some of the people he’s talking to though! :rofl:

But yeah, some good stuff, especially the podcasts about people afraid to spend money and live a rich life.

On the earning-more side of things, I started doing Prolific again and made enough this week to cover my workout classes. That feels good! Obviously this isn’t a huge income stream but if I can go on there and earn a bit to cover extras, why not.

4 Likes

TFW the 90’s was not 10 years ago and prices have gone up, and that’s reasonable and fine, because inflation. I need to expand some budgets and be reasonable about others.

13 Likes

I deeply resent that some things cost more than they did when I was a child.
Other things? Meh, c’est la vie.

5 Likes

Mostly this is about the giant box of magnetic building things and other toys. $80 for a huge box, yes. $150? Um.

Lots of stuff that I didn’t have to buy as a kid I don’t care about the price increase of because I have no reference for the cost from 30 years ago.

8 Likes

I’m super into this podcast (I Will Teach You to Be Rich)! Is anyone else surprised at how hard he has to push people to get them to admit they are making a choice, and that they have many other choices that they are not choosing? I think that’s the most surprising thing to me! Like these people talk as if they’ve been drafted into a military with no choice. What’s that about? I feel like it might be misplaced guilt? Why on earth would you want to feel powerless when you aren’t, unless it helps you feel something else that’s good or relieves guilt maybe?

It’s like, a lot of the callers want to live like the rich people they are, but also not feel any guilt about how much they have, so instead they’re like “well that’s just what organic locally hand harvested free range quail eggs costs! so we have no choice because life is so hard.” Like…whaaaaaaaaaaaat

15 Likes

Internal Vs external locus of control stuff is a fascinating area of psychology. So many aspects to it.

12 Likes

I’ve read about that! I am definitely an internal so that’s probably why it’s so hard for me to understand. And because when I’ve had external things that are truly out of my control I have fought them tooth and nail for years, searched endlessly for workarounds, etc. IMO there are very few feelings worse than realizing you have no control or choice over something.

So I can’t fathom just, rolling over? That’s how I see it, which I know isn’t charitable on my part.

6 Likes

He just told the guests on the episode I’m listening to, “There is no nobility in acting like you’re still poor. It’s actually offensive,” and I’m like YASSSSSSSSSSS RAMITTTTT

16 Likes

LOL Not even thirty minutes later I just heard that same segment (end of episode 2).

Would people be interested in a thread just for this? Would there be enough conversation on his podcast/book/etc.?

7 Likes

Y’all are making me push this podcast up to next in my queue! I would also love a general “psychology of money” thread!

7 Likes

I’m up for whatever! If people feel it should be a separate thread that’s :+1: w/ me.

3 Likes