Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

Good, because those microfiber cloths aren’t that great for the environment, but I do have some anyway…

1 Like

To be clear, I’m extremely NOT worried about that. I’m so not worried that my friends washed their cloth diapers in my top loading washing machine for about a year. I was (poorly) attempting to explain why I’m not concerned about mixing laundry and what I would do if I was worried.

8 Likes

Today’s lunch is planned to be watermelon, white beans, feta, pickled red onion, prosciutto ends.

4 Likes

Doesn’t this look SO GOOD?! And really easy! It’s going on my list to make soon.

4 Likes

Resisted the urge to spend $40 on a sparkly vampire merman Christmas ornament!

I mean, we have friends in town and are otherwise hemorrhaging money on food and drink, but at least I didn’t shop?

7 Likes

I just caught up on this thread and Wizard and I are definitely laundry heathens.

Speaking of saving money in the laundry world: I keep getting deodorant stains on clothes. I get stinky if I don’t wear deodorant, so prefer to have it on, but I’m getting sick of vinegar and baking soda scrubbing (and it only works so well). Any other brilliant ideas for getting that white stain out?

8 Likes

We did so well at eating our picnic foods for tge beach! To the point where I feel like I’m ‘owed’ ar least one more treat
Thursday

• snacks at home
  • burritos for brunch in the car but VERY owed to me from the day before
    -snacks in the car
    -snacks while we unpacked, kid had a yogurt and a lunchable
    -fancy appetizers dinner out at a ceasar bar on the beach (thanks grandad)

Friday
-first breakfast at the hotel - oatmeal and yogurt
-brunch sandwiches smoothies, tea and coffee out
-sandwiches and chips and nuts at the hotel
-snacks on the beach
-dinner bbq at the hotel: hotdogs, mushroom risotto balls, corn on the cob

Saturday
-breakfast at the hotel; bbq grilled cheese, yogurt, bars, cookies
-lunch on the beach - crackers and dips, nuts, cucumbers
-diner second lunch/early dinner
-also chips and nuts in the car

I think the key is to make it all easy and not too healthy! I used to pre make more involved stuff and it got wasted and I got sad. This snacky stuff I am not too sad about waste, it is way cheaper and a bit healthier than restaurants. This hotel was neat that it had barbecues and fire pits! Easy gas barbecues. Not byo charcoal barbecues. BUT no good source of tea and coffee - If we go back or to a similar place I might do cold brew or something, or cold brew iced tea. The microwave was tiny, not good, and stored on the fridge, so microwaving hot water for tea in my camping cups just wasnt worth it. Except I am still bitter about no good tea :joy:

6 Likes

No idea for the stains beyond what you’re already doing, unfortunately, but I’m in the middle of attempting a switch to a crystal deodorant to try to save my clothes from the same fate (discovered going through stuff when I started going back into work that I’d destroyed a few more shirts than I’d realized over the past couple years…they were perfectly fine except for those stains that are past the point of scrubbing out). Not sure if it’s something you’ve already tried, but I can say it’s tentatively going okay for me ~6mo on.

1 Like

Tell me more! I can’t do baking soda deodorants (rash, sigh) but mostly I just need the deodorizing part - am gonna sweat no matter what, lololol.

I’m not kenner obviously, but I also can’t do baking soda deodorants. I use Ethique’s deodorants - the lavender one I think is the best: Botanica™ – Ethique . Disclaimer I haven’t tried the deodorant stick format - I’m still on the straight up bars they used to sell, ha.

1 Like

I switched to degree men’s black and white nonstaining something and I think it’s better than when I used Secret? YMMV but try diff brands? Also men’s uses less aluminum by % so maybe that’s good? Idk.

1 Like

I also switched to no aluminum to try and combat this:

I liked Schmidt’s but it’s not longer at my grocery store. I then switched to Toms (in a cardboard tube)

Both are less effective than “normal” especially in the summer but they last through a work day
Oh importantly: it does seem to have worked. My stained shirts did not de-stain but it didn’t seem to get worse or happen on any new shirts for the 1.5 ish years I used them.

2 Likes

Yeah I think I tried both brands you mentioned, and they were definitely way less effective for me than Ethique. I also haven’t seen any stains after switching to Ethique, and I’ve been using them for a couple years now? (oh and I am also a heavy heavy sweater lol)

2 Likes

I’ve been using “Vital Green Crystal Potassium Deodorant” but I’m pretty sure it’s got the same formula as most of the crystal deodorants. If I remember right the main/only ingredient is potassium alum so basically it’s a stick of salt, and its supposed to be applied wet before getting dressed (not soaked, just run under the faucet). It takes a little longer to apply than regular deodorant, ~30 swipes per arm, but at least in my case it seems to control odors fairly well. It doesn’t do anything for sweating, but I’m also assuming that’s happening no matter what.

The info it came with did say that if there’s a smell before putting it on the crystal might pick that up so I try to check that before applying, and since it gets run under water before applying I try to store it upside down to keep it from wearing down unnecessarily, but so far my shirts don’t seem to be having the same issues they were with the standard store deodorant I was using before.

2 Likes

If you want a “natural” option with no baking soda, the Native sensitive formulation has been fantastic for me. Held up to my weird pregnancy hormones after this last loss making me smell intensely of bad onions. I would have paid a fortune to deal with that smell haha, so I sign HIGH praises of this stuff.

5 Likes

Maybe I’ll try that one next then!

I did try the Lush bar and it gave me such a horrible rash. Never again

2 Likes

The natural part is whatever, it’s the part where my clothes are getting ruined! I wear so much black and the deodorant stains are so noticeable…

I’m glad to have some recs that sound not too expensive and which hopefully will save my poor wardrobe.

6 Likes

Are you getting the stains on the inside of the shirts or the outside? If outside, I have a lil trick.

3 Likes

Both… sometimes they leak through, and for sleeveless it tends to come off on both sides. It’s a messy sitch.

I’ve been using Mitchum Men’s unscented gel for several years and haven’t had any staining except on my one linen shirt that is what I wear instead of sunscreen for walks. That one I think is just straight-up sweat stained, but it goes through A Lot.

1 Like