Meme-ing our way through

Yeah, supposedly that’s how it happened (which came out WAY after the fact). But it was a big, huge, enormous scandalous deal when it happened. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yeah! Totally! And it sounds like it was that way for lots of reasons, including the fact that Tonya was never The Darling (too muscular, not feminine enough, was married and then was divorced, etc.). And that made it so much easier to believe she was at fault, instead of her ex husband teaming up with some guy he knew who wanted to get into the body guarding business and thought taking out Nancy Kerrigan would drum up business for him.
:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

yup yup yup

Also, this was before the 24-hour news cycle and a billion channels, so scandalous news was something that was sort of latched onto and then rehashed for a WHILE, and maybe that’s part of the reason. :joy:

5 Likes

17 Likes

22 Likes

The I, Tonya movie was awesome - I never knew much about her other than the rivalry between the 2 skaters and everything that went down.

2 Likes

Seconding this movie. I didn’t know anything about her beforehand other than that there was some controversy surrounding her but the lead actress is Australian so I watched and really enjoyed it.

4 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/steph.r.plant/media_set?set=a.10100483573962225&type=3

20 Likes

m38

21 Likes

19 Likes

19 Likes

:exploding_head::flushed:

2 Likes

15 Likes

18 Likes

I LOVE that podcast!

1 Like

Not a meme, but this is making the rounds again (and is particularly relevant right now):

(Germs is a NIN parody in case you are too young. :joy: Also, Weird Al is the best.)

5 Likes

23 Likes

From the tony complaints thread.

15 Likes

This is very meta.

4 Likes

I feel so honored

6 Likes