4 Likes

19 Likes

Well that last one is helpful

8 Likes

I was thinking that same thing.
looks at clock
10:32.

11 Likes

For some of us 9PM is 7pm. (i.e. cant trust my own judgement after 7pm)

9 Likes

24 Likes

18 Likes

why tf is this how i learn about the polio thing

8 Likes

dare i ask…

1 Like

Guy in Rockland County was paralyzed by polio in the last month.

I’m over here checking my vaccination records like “I got that one as a wee thing, right?”

11 Likes

where the hell does one even contract polio anymore?

oh god is it our fault:

Apparently hard to come by due to religious edicts, ignorance, and war. The last two at least are not on Muslims. But damn damn damn.

9 Likes

I thought some of it was because of mistrust in the people distributing the vaccines? Maybe that’s a different vaccine? Basically paranoia that Christian-majority countries were trying control muslim countries through the vaccine.

So that’s not entirely on muslims.

7 Likes

My understanding: This narrative is primarily driven by anti-West sentiments premised in the idea that Islam is Right vs Evil and Wrong West and that is entirely on Muslim clerics and idealogues tbh. As a “Western” born and raised Muslim who has zero contact or roots in Arab culture it is extremely toxic and tiring.

5 Likes

That 2013 article that I could only read a little bit of seems pretty sus. And some articles from around that time talk about the fact that people who get the vac with the live form of the virus can shed the virus in their stool - and I think that is the one that doesn’t need refrigeration- so… Muslim, or poor and remote, or all of the above?

The 2022 article from npr about an outbreak in London sewage is more concerned about the global disruption to routine vaccines due to Covid and Covid vaccines.

Plus, I’m going to throw in some conjecture that epidemiologists are getting a lot of money and access granted to check out viruses in sewage right now…thanks to Covid.

6 Likes

The oral vaccine is used in remote places or countries with a lot of endemic polio, usually, since it doesn’t require refrigeration or clean needles. It’s a live attenuated virus, though, so it can sometimes revert to wild type and cause actual polio. Since it is an actual polio virus that replicates, but isn’t disease-causing, it makes sense that it could be detected in waste water.

We only used the inactivated whole virus vaccine in the US (and I assume most countries where polio has been, or was, eradicated). Once the number of people in an area/country who get polio from the oral vaccine is higher than the people getting it from the environment, they usually switch.

11 Likes

I love it so much when people around here know stuff and share that knowledge. Thanks!

9 Likes

Me pretending I didn’t derail the thread

23 Likes

21 Likes

20 Likes

19 Likes