Meme-ing our way through

That’s still one of my favorite albums of all time!

4 Likes

Mine too :slight_smile:

I was a total Sub Pop nerd in the 90’s and on (had a direct connection that meant I got loads of free music).

When my son was in middle school he and his friends started buying music. He kept coming home with these great new finds of decades-old PNW bands that we already had on the shelf :sweat_smile:

The Postal Service was one of our most loved car sing-along albums, and we were both beyond stoked when the 10th anniversary tour was slated to come here right around kiddo’s birthday his freshman year in high school. I practically donated a kidney to get good seats since it would be the first bigger venue show he’d remember (I uh dragged him to a lot of festivals and dive bars as a teeny baby with teeny baby noise cancelling headphones lol).

About two weeks before the show date, he woke me up after midnight and sheepishly asked if he could take his girlfriend to the show instead of me :flushed: :scream: :sob:

At the time “girlfriend” meant they ate lunch together and sent text messages on Saturdays :laughing: They’d gone on exactly one date to the Sweetheart dance the month before.

I said yes :sob:

She liked commercial radio pop and had no idea who Ben Gibbard was.

They are still together almost 8 years later.

For years whenever a Postal Service song would come on the radio, I’d say “Oh this song would be so good live” and my son would say “Oh it wasohhhhhhhh:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

22 Likes

This is one of the first things I’ve read today and I’m cracking up, which is a goody omen. Thank you for a good funny story early in my day. :wink:

3 Likes

Mother of the decade! Damn.

7 Likes

That is a really great story. Perfect for a celebratory toast for the two of them in the future if that continues to works out :wink:

3 Likes

We’ve priced out how much it would cost to have Ben Gibbard and Jenny Lewis at their wedding once or twice, haha

9 Likes

18 Likes

Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self

Edit: My reaction at 1:57 was the same as the video. :laughing:

17 Likes

This killed me. I died laughing.

3 Likes

This is PERFECTION

2 Likes

Not a meme per se, but…oh my god my friend posted this and I’m dying

4 Likes

10 Likes

15 Likes

OH NO

5 Likes

Also brilliantly covered by Iron and Wine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgy09d4WNhA Both versions are excellent, in my opinion.

5 Likes

Such a mom move! I’m sorry you didn’t get to see them.

2 Likes

I saw them back in the day and have seen Death Cab a number of times recently so it worked out - the story, especially since they’re still together, is so much better than our memory of just the show would’ve been :grin:

7 Likes

Oh no hahahaha that’s hilarious

That reminds me of a time a few years ago when I watched my dad pull chicken broth out of the fridge instead of iced green tea…and poured it in a mug for my mom…and didn’t say anything :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

She’s still mad at me.

:joy:

8 Likes

Postal Service hold a special place for me, peak free time to listen to music combined with mp3 player technology really coming into its own. The soundtrack to my university days. Maybe a touch of Death Cab for Cutie as well or the Shins?

Excuse me while I go fire up Limewire and transfer a few songs to my Zen Creative.

I’ll also be watching Garden State later if anyone wants to pop around.

10 Likes

I didn’t really like the movie, but excellent soundtrack!

6 Likes