Meme-ing our way through

Thanks for sharing that perspective nicky. When I shared it with my husband (Jewish) he cringed and gave a sort of tepid smile and nod so I gather it hit on a lot of notes for him that a non-Jewish party (me) may not have noticed. Thanks for sharing in such a constructive way.

5 Likes

I’m glad it felt constructive.

I’ve been going back and forth about saying anything about the rest of the conversation but I can’t stop thinking about it. The discussion after the meme which discusses what was actually said and then expresses some horror about it…there’s something about this also that doesn’t sit very right with me.

This is a pretty triggering meme and I think in the discussion afterwards about what it is, some of the posters are noticing that, but not doing anything beyond a comment. We all need to be ready to take more proactive action when we see something is wrong. In this case, it could have protected me (a Jew) from needing to do the work to explain the problem and from having to see this over and over everywhere on the internet. But more importantly and dangerously, the more we let stuff like this get normalized, the less likely it seems that normal people will be ready to stand up for Jews and other marginalized people in dangerous situations. Even in the last year, even just during the 8 days of Chanukah, there were a number of attacks on Jews. Yesterday in Portland, OR, a Jewish business was vandalized and people wrote horrible vandalism on this shop that makes it clear the vandalism was a response to it being a Jewish restaurant. Life in the US is extremely tenuous and scary for Jews and other marginalized groups right now, and I think we need everyone to be a little more proactive about calling out antisemitism when they see it and removing it.

I want to try and be mindful of not getting into an off-topic pile-on situation. Did we ever get any of those educational threads set up?

17 Likes

I pinged you on the violations thread. I think that’s the place we are still building all of that.

3 Likes

17 Likes

Delightful

2 Likes

Hi all! I created a draft thread about antisemitism: Draft Antisemitism Education Thread. It is bare bones right now but has some IG accounts and a very detailed pamphlet/small e-book for your learning pleasure.

20 Likes

Also, my badass Representative (Jayapal) has now tested positive for coronavirus after being locked in a room with a bunch of rightwing asshats who refused to mask up…

20 Likes

Thank you. I know assembling a thread like that is a massive emotional labor task, and I really appreciate the resource. :heart:

14 Likes

Thank you so much for spoilering this.

6 Likes

26 Likes

@nickybecky1 i have hidden it now, sorry for not thinking to do it on my original post.

If the community would prefer me to delete the whole post I can do that

4 Likes

As someone who has worked a lot of retail I absolutely laughed out loud at this. :joy:

5 Likes

Truth in meme-ing. I don’t think I shared any of these ones, but nevertheless, to set the memes straight:

7 Likes

18 Likes

16 Likes

13 Likes

That last one though…

3 Likes

I’m personally attacked by the “fashion” one.

4 Likes

25 Likes

“Can I smell it/Can I taste it” is like a weekly habit in my house

4 Likes