Job Hunting Support Group

Smart! I think I will shoot her a text then. Better safe than sorry. Doubles as confirming it’s still her cell phone #!

4 Likes

Update: yesterday’s interviews went well enough that they’re scheduling me for a “final final” round which is a half hour call with an exec! I also found out that the role has no on-call responsibilities which is a sweet sweet benefit. A lot of the places I’m looking at have some kind of 24/7 oncall shift which ranges from “every few months, you probably won’t get woken up” to “yeah, it’s every 3 weeks and you’ll lose a few nights of sleep”. Sleep is precious and I reeeeally don’t want to take a heavy oncall responsibility.

One 1-hr interview today and then I can go take a nap.

11 Likes

Here the standard is that a reference is an individual who has overseen your work, direct manager or not, so I’ve messaged mine.

2 Likes

I have not yet submitted my application. The past two nights I’ve had time, but I’ve avoided. Tonight I must get something done or maybe even submit!!

6 Likes

You’ve got this!

1 Like

Did thing!!

15 Likes

:partying_face: you did it!

1 Like

Glad to see this thread! I’m my household’s breadwinner, trying to make a jump from government cyber security to private sector cyber security. It’s early days but no success in getting any interviews so far - it sounds like maybe I need a certification in the field to be competitive? I thought a relevant degree and several years of experience would be enough but maybe not…

6 Likes

My husband is finding something similar where to actually get a job in the adjacent field (despite having experience) he needs a bit of paper.

2 Likes

DH is in an adjacent field and doesn’t think you would need a certificate if you have relevant experience. That said, it couldn’t hurt other than the time and money you’d have to spend on the cert.

1 Like

Time to find another thing to apply for so my hopes aren’t dashed if I don’t hear back from Poetry Job. It’s likely to be very competitive.

7 Likes

Okay SO I posted about this on my journal too. I got my first job offer!!!

https://forum.ohmydollar.com/t/iualia-is-buried-in-craft-supplies/4902/1230?u=iualia

Feeling very excited and relieved. Things are happening!

19 Likes

Heck yes!! Congrats!!

2 Likes

I’ve found a Librarian job at the University DH works for. I applied for one of these way back in…checks calendar…March 2020 :laughing: before I had my MLIS. I am still worried my lack of direct library experience (no internships happened during my degree because of uh…COVID) will filter my applications out. But I’m working full time and I have a 1yo and don’t really see another way of going about this. I have transferable experience, and I have the required degree. So :crossed_fingers:

12 Likes

Also how crazy am I for looking at jobs with a floor of $75k when I currently make about $100k without considering benefits??? It’s so hard to factor in quality of life.

10 Likes

Hooray for throwing your hat in the ring!

2 Likes

Not crazy! Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward on the path you want

5 Likes

At one point I took a drop from 135 to 100 to cut my commute time, vastly improving my mental health and my relationship.

8 Likes

My current role was a paycut and I got a huge quality of life improvement. Totally worth it!

6 Likes

My commute is 1:15 right now. Cry

7 Likes