Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome @Igelfreundin :heart:

Whoops I lurked for 6 months and then started a journal before realizing this was a thread. I wondered how you got location badges!

I’m darlingpants (she/her) and I’m a recent mover to a high COL urban area in New England (it’s Boston guys, is there even another option?). I’m married to Mr Darling and we recently adopted a cat we named Nori who I’m in the process of Stockholm syndromeing into cuddling with me. We’re playing the money game on easy mode, as we doubled our joint salaries after I finished grad school in Dec 2018.

19 Likes

[Peter Pan reference here]

7 Likes

Oh dear. The darlings will need to adopt three more cats to get John, Michael and Wendy darling.

8 Likes

And a big dog!

4 Likes

I played Nana in the grade 6 school play. I can teach the dog its duties.

9 Likes

Hello, nice to meet you. I’m a translator on WordExcerpt and knowing about what makes the world go round has always piqued my interest. :grin:

12 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Sial!

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

What does make the world go ‘round? What have you learned? :earth_americas::earth_africa::earth_asia:

1 Like

Money is never the same as it was yesterday, it constantly changes according to the people that use it. And other basic things a book called Economic Policy: Thoughts for Today and Tomorrow taught me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I still have a long way to go, Lily is teaching me a lot.

2 Likes

But what really makes the world go round? That’s a hard question, I’d say life.

2 Likes

Inertia makes the world go round. We already started, why bother stopping?

Our planets have continued spinning because of inertia. In the vacuum of space, spinning objects maintain their momentum and direction — their spin — because no external forces have been applied to stop them. And so, the world — and the rest of the planets in our solar system — keeps spinning .

8 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

9 Likes

If they were really spinning they wouldn’t be smiling. I know what goes on in those classes.

14 Likes

That’s why they continue - doesn’t quite get to why.

Inertia explains why I finish the pint of ice cream though…

6 Likes

Welcome! That sounds like a really neat job!

I thought we knew: fat-bottomed girls.

12 Likes

Hi Jen,

Actually I think this is a perfect time to get your Financial shit together especially if you have more time on your hands because you are either not working or working less hours. In fact I have had 4 people approach me in the last week wanting to know how to do it (two of them of course were expecting some magic secret that would not involve them spending any less money than they do now… Sorry can’t help you!).

I am an ex hockey player and back in December jumped on my hockey blades after 6 years away from the game and for some reason thought I could still (hah!) skate like Wayne Gretzky… $28,000 of surgery on my broken wrist reminded me I could not (ONLY $9k out of pocket!).

I believe Lillian had a similar experience at some point.

Welcome, I am looking forward to reading about your journey.

10 Likes

Hello hello! I’m here via @emchap’s newsletter.

For the past couple years I’ve been focused on paying down debt incurred during a disastrous attempt at an evolutionary biology PhD, and while I knew I could be doing more/better I was feeling vaguely ok with my money situation. But recently my beloved tripod border collie had a weirdo cancer scare that hasn’t really resolved itself (it’s not cancer! it’s not fungus! it’s not an infection! maybe it’s an autoimmune inflammatory condition ¯_(ツ)_/¯ ). Without my mom’s help there’s no way I could have afforded all of the tests he got and that really shook my feeling of financial stability.

I’m the operations and membership director for a community radio station in the intermountain west, the bookkeeper and office manager for an environmental nonprofit, and am in the middle of a master of public administration program. My professional life is essentially all about managing these two organization’s finances, so why I can’t get my own finances together? :upside_down_face:

19 Likes