I Will Teach You To Be Rich- OMD EDITION

I agree that you getting a job will help both financially but also mentally - money coming in but also benefits (maybe a better insurance situation?) and not feeling huge pressure to be creative in a side hustle. Also, since you’ve already retired once not only can you be more selective about work culture you can also hopefully reenforce work boundaries better (as needed) because you’re somewhat FI.

Putting a hard time limit now on how long you’ll financially support your in laws is a conversation you two should have. What if their house doesn’t sell for a long time for some reason but MIL has a job? What if her job leads don’t pan out or pay less than everyone is expecting? Come up with a plan as a couple, then be very careful in your phrasing to the ILs so there’s no grey (ha!) area later of “We thought you meant you’d pay until this and that thing happen and they haven’t”. Actually, would it be weird to send it by email? Then it’s in writing instead of relying on people remembering a conversation.

Gotta run.

9 Likes

I had another thought on the in-laws. When are they planning on retiring/ how close are they to retirement, and can they support themselves once they have access to retirement funds without working? Or is there potential for you to be needing to support them again in 10 years?

5 Likes

As a contrarian view, I don’t think this is a helpful question as it is currently framed because there are so many unknowns. On track for where and what?

If we go east and south, we can be on track for the beach. We can also get to the fake beach if we go west and south. In no case will we get to a beach in less than 40 minutes walking. We could choose to get to the beach by bike, or uber or public transit.

I’m not on track to get to the beach this morning if I want to be there by 8am - that ship has sailed, so there is no point in talking about how I’m not on track. But I could be if I want to be there by 9am (if I decided to wake up the shadowy one). Our current plan is to be in the vicinity of the beach around noon. We’re on track for that.

So, what is your desired goal lifestyle? how much will it cost? how fast do you want to get there? can you get from here to there with the current income and savings rate in the timeframe you are ok with? Only then do you know if you’re on track. (ETA: and you have too many unknown unknowns here because of changing family hopes, so it’s just about throwing money over there until you can figure that out, and not worrying about being on track imo)

You are where you are right now. Being on track is about direction and momentum and target, and the point in time current value of your retirement portfolio doesn’t give the needed variables to say anything about that. (Personally I used bonuses as a way to get a power up - we’d be on track, and the bonus would skip us ahead and we’d set a new target date or value based on that)

end soapbox :slight_smile:

20 Likes

As someone who has also had trouble with the on track idea I love this analogy.

15 Likes

This seems like a recipe for family strife and resentment. You’re not their employer reimbursing a work trip, and you’re not their parents and this level of scrutiny over expenses rises to that level. If you can’t trust them to spend (your?) money wisely then the boundary needs to be before this.

I do like the “we will pay your rent but that’s all we can manage” and then paying rent out of an account they don’t have access to though.

16 Likes

Agree. Or rent plus $x per month, they budget.

4 Likes

@Greyweld not to be Ramit here, but what is your vision of a rich life for you and Greyman (and is it different from his)?? It seems like there is a lot of stress and options but not a clear picture of what you actually want.

I think this is a good situation of defining what you want your life to look like and then we can help you figure out how to get there.

Specific questions- what is your ideal level of spending where you don’t have to worry? Do you want a life with an expensive take out habit? What does your “rich life” daily/weekly/monthly schedule look like?

What is the ideal situation with supporting the parents (regardless of reality)? Is supporting the parents something you want to do or something you feel obligated to do and it’s actually building resentment (and how does Greyman feel too?).

Another thought- your in laws haven’t actually moved out to CO so they don’t have to do that NOW either. They can stay living in their current state for a year or two where it makes more financial sense and then move to CO later? If you can’t put your own oxygen mask on then you can’t put theirs on either.

17 Likes

Greyweld,

I love your case study write-up SO much. I can totally hear it in I Will Teach You to Be Rich style. It is just perfection, *chef’s kiss!

I hope you don’t mind that I’m going to dump a lot of thoughts out, I am trying to channel Liz from the Frugalwoods in my response. You really captured Ramit’s format but mine is probably just going to be slightly Liz-flavored like one of those bubbly waters that tastes like just a shadow of the fruit.

You have $800k in assets at age 31, you are doing SO great! Seriously, that is amazing. You and Frank did a lot of hard work to get where you are. I think you recognize how badass that is-- I know I do! You are in WAY better shape than I was at that age.

But your level of money stress is sky high. You’ve spent more money on comforts than you planned and you will get no criticism for that from me. You’ve had a lot going on in your life, and if you find value in spending money in this way, then that is something you can continue to prioritize.

But don’t forget, we are also in a rare period of high inflation. So the fact that your money isn’t going as far as you expected is not just a result of your actions. It’s also the result of this cluster of a worldwide economy we have right now.

But I do have some tough love for you. These thoughts are not intended as face punches, but as honest opinions from another member of the FIRE community, who may be more conservative than you when it comes to financial stuff. I know there are a lot of opinions in the FIRE community, so if you don’t agree with these thoughts, I am not offended in the least.

First, the bulk of your net worth is in your paid off house. (Wow, you have a paid off house worth a half mil?!?! I really am amazed at you!) Unless you can find a way to generate income from that house by having renters live with you (ugh, that would not appeal to most of us and I completely get it), I wouldn’t personally include this asset in the stash I use to calculate my withdrawal rate. That money is not available for you to live off of unless you sell the house. And if you sell the house, you would still need to pay for housing somehow. So in my mind that’s pretty much a wash.

So that leaves you with about $300K in a stash to live off of. Your case study mentioned you had calculated a 5% withdrawal rate. Perhaps that was a typo? The vast majority of the FIRE community uses 4% as the safe withdrawal rate, as that is the one that came from the Trinity Study. There are a few outliers out there who use 5% or higher withdrawal rates, but really in my experience they are very rare. It is much more common to find people who use more conservative withdrawal rates, especially for those who would have much longer than typical retirements (i.e., those who quit their jobs in their 30s). Personally, I aimed for a 3.5% withdrawal rate and I know a lot of others have done the same. So with a $300K stash and a 4% withdrawal rate, you could expect to withdraw $12K a year.

Another issue is where your money is located. It sounds like the bulk of your money is in retirement accounts that you can’t access right now without penalty. Is any of that in Traditional IRAs? If so, you could start Roth conversion ladders so that you have money available to you starting 5 years out. I get the sense that maybe you only have 401(k)s? Unfortunately, I haven’t heard of anything similar when it comes to those. I’m not an expert in this area, so I’m not certain if I am correct about that.

I completely agree with your reluctance to withdraw money from your 401(k)s to fund living expenses right now. In my mind, that would be an absolute last resort to keep from becoming homeless or starving. Much better to sell photos of your feet, but hopefully it won’t come to that, either!

It sounds like when you quit your jobs, you weren’t planning to support your in-laws? But now they have expressed wanting to move closer and you want to help them do so. I love that you want to do this. It shows how generous and kind you are. It shows a lot of love, and how much you value family! However, under current conditions, I really question whether you can afford to help them.

And here’s the really big thing. It sounds to me like you really want to get a job. It sounds like there are some people close to you who don’t think you should get a job because you’ve had a toxic one in the past. But you want to get a job. I think you should listen to your desires. You have a huge stash of FU money. If you get a job and you hate it, you can quit at any time.

If you get a job, then you will be in a much better position to support Frank as he launches fully into self-employment. That transition can be really rough, and having a steady income for that will help so much. Have you had to pay self-employment taxes yet? I was unpleasantly surprised at how high those are.

If you get a job, you will also be in a much better position to support your in-laws if you decide that is what you want to do. And you will be better able to spend money to try to grow your family.

Wanting a job instead of being self-employed is not a personal failing. Just like it is not a personal failing that I don’t like apple pie or cheesecake.

Do you actually want to retire early? If you do, a job will help save money for the years between when you retire and when you can access the money you have tied up in retirement accounts.

I think you and Frank are doing a great job. But I think you will have a lot less stress if one of you has a steady W-2 income. And I don’t mind saying that because I am fully convinced you actually want a job. So I say, go for it. If it isn’t a good fit you can quit and find something else.

19 Likes

Going to respond to these kinds of things first and then continue reading!

It is not part of the safe withdrawal stash! Only the almost 400k outside of that we had when we did the caclulations, which got spent faster and decreased to market fluctuations faster then we thought. And yeah at that time, our spending was suuuuper low, and our monthly rate of spending put us at 12k per year.

We had planned to have about 60k last for way longer so we could ramp up business and start working on the 401k to Roth ladder, but I get spendy when I’m anxious and grieving I suppose. Supposedly I can roll my 401ks to trad IRAs now that I’m not with my employers… Maybe?

Yes I meant 4%. Facepalm.

8 Likes

I agree with a lot of what Rosie wrote! I have some more thoughts, also not face punches but just, things you can choose to take or leave.

1. I don’t think your stash is big enough for your lifestyle and I really really really don’t think you should pull from your 401(k). I also agree that your house isn’t a source of income so while it is an asset it’s not the same type of asset as investments for the purpose of what we’re talking bout here.

2. Is it actually realistic for Frank to make a lot more money in his business so quickly? As a former solo entrepreneur it bings in my head that he has had at least 6 months working at it and is only bringing in $1k a month. Do you have faith in his ability to suddenly quadruple that? Why do you think he hasn’t yet?

3. I have a personal policy that I don’t lend money to anyone. I either don’t give money or it is a gift. I think lending your inlaws money could get really dicey. I also think it’s ok for you to be honest with them like you were with us if you can’t help them. Let them know you miscalculated, overspent, etc, and are in a different position now.

4. I definitely think you should get a job! It sounds like there is a lot of fear built up around having a job and it’s become this HUGE thing. But I would suggest that there is another way to think about it. While you don’t have a full stash you are also definitely rich already. You are not going to be somehow trapped in a job, literally unable to leave, and forced to burnout. That never has to happen again! Taking a job isn’t a lifelong commitment and it really can be just a job to make money to live.

5. Is it on the table at all to have you both work part-time jobs? With a paid off house it seems like you could swing it! And that would give you both some structure and still maintain a lot of freedom.

6. Relationship-wise it seems like there is a pattern where Beth brings up a concern (parents moving close, not enough money for things, going back to work) and Frank “solves” it in a kind of dismissive way that doesn’t feel real (parents moving problem = we don’t have to help them you’re being manipulated problem solved; not enough money right now = he can make all the money problem solved; maybe you going back to work = you will get burnt out he can handle it problem solved).

16 Likes

Correct. Heck two weeks ago I wasn’t planning to support them. I thought they were in a better situation to move on their own than they actually were – which was not at all.

Years ago when we were both still working I offered to move them out, help them buy a house and support them, but they declined. So in a way this just feels like going back to that, only the housing market has had hugely ballooning prices since. Both our places have doubled in value, but places here cost more, so the gap is larger than it was.

Hm, okay fair, and thanks to Smacky for the additional vote on this front. I think my fear is giving them a big pile they have access to (it will be gone next week) or an unlimited well to draw from, or that they won’t go to work or use their own resources when at least MIL is still fully capable.

Basically MIL is a little touchy about money and sitting down and talking about it all, and if we’re supporting all their needs I guess I’m worried I’ll find we’ve cut back on luxuries to find they have splurged on them with our money.

I don’t mind them having luxuries, but I want transparency and I know MIL hides spending from FIL she doesn’t think he would like, even though she makes all the money. So I can’t imagine she wouldn’t hide it from me.

I actually asked GM the other day about this because MIL is 61, and so could in theory access her retirement fund without penalty. He said he wasn’t sure she had one and was waiting to be old enough for her social security.

I was aghast, especially since for a time she had a well-paying career.

I did assume that we would have to care for them when she was no longer able to work, but that shouldn’t be for several years. FIL is in his mid-70s with all kinds of health conditions that make working very difficult for him (fortunately mostly covered due to his age and veteran status by government assistance) and hasn’t had a job in a very long time. I’ve been trying to teach him how to do the stuff like taking surveys and selling stuff online, but it hasn’t stuck and I don’t think he has the motivation to work given being cared for by MIL.

Me: I want to have a kid (which the longer that takes, the more likely we’ll have to spend through the nose to make it happen) and be able to afford to feed them high quality food, take them to awesome experiences, and not spend all my time working while they are growing up. GM wants that as well.

I want to be able to hire someone who knows what they are doing when I need a new fence or a new floor. I want to continue to spoil my kittens.

I would love to be able to support my in-laws (my dream is to get it so THEY have a paid off house before retirement too), and I want to be able to donate lavishly to causes I care about and give the people I love amazing gifts.

Greyman wants to learn how to fly a plane, at least learn to ride a motorcycle even if he’s never ever allowed to go on the road, wants to surf at least a few times a year, wants to have the house routinely be clean (which given US means a service) and wants a much larger shop for the manufacturing and car flipping side of his business.

We both want to have a sunroom attached to our house and to be able to do things like have a membership for rock climbing and other hobbies we love.

13 Likes

Have you figured out the cost of your rich life vision? I think that might help with job motivation.

8 Likes

Ditto.

Yes, I think it is. I think it would mean he spends more time doing contracting for software engineering, which he’s done on occasion but hasn’t chases because he wasn’t aware we needed more income yet.

His current level of income is based on one day a week of work and no hardcore advertising and nothing on the software side. He’s refused business in the past that is still on the table because we didn’t need it at the time.

Hm, I don’t have the same policy but I will think on it.

This is really reassuring, thank you for saying it!

Yes; that is the plan if the $4k/month plan doesn’t shake out and we still feel like we need more income at that point.

Hmmm you might be right. Is this a couples counseling thing or something to just bring up?

10 Likes

I need to run some numbers.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing so much from your hesrt my friend!

It looks like
Hold up he wants to learn how to fly?

12-15k here to learn.
Then flight hours for fun/buying a plane/joining a club or plane share
And demand for planes has gone up substantially during covid
Hangar rental 300-1000/month
Gas every fucking time (i choose not to know but i know it was more than the truck)
Repairs
Airplane annual
Medical annual
New engine
Fucking weird blankets wnd tow bars

If he isn’t making 10k/ month there’s no learning to fly. I, an internet lady, forbid it.

17 Likes

She said rich life. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

I thought part of the plan with moving your inlaws out was to have them available to assist with childcare, but it doesn’t sound like they’re actually going to be able to do that, with MIL working and FIL’s health?

6 Likes

In my relationship it wouldn’t be a couples counseling thing but I don’t know where you are in terms of being able to honestly talk things out and have a real resolution. I think if I were you it’s something I would work on myself, first. So instead of taking something to him like, “Idk I think maybe I should get a job but I’m afraid of burnout and what do you think?” because he’s going to say don’t worry, he will take care of it. Instead, I would probably go to him and be like, “I applied for 2 jobs today because I’ve thought about it and I really want/need to go back to work, how do you feel?”

My guess as an internet stranger is that he will immediately voice his anxieties about you becoming burnt out. My sense is that he is really afraid of you not being able to handle working (emotionally) and wants to avoid that. If that’s his fear it’s legitimate and needs to be addressed, but no through him doing the man thing of “I’ll handle it!” because that doesn’t work.

Do you think he’s afraid that if you get a new job and you cannot handle it emotionally, that you will not react and make a change quickly enough? Like with the last job, was it a loooooong super fraught decline that got dragged out and caused a lot of strife between you two long before you actually quit? If that’s the case, my approach would be to make a deal that if HE says, “hey this job is affecting you really negatively” you will (regardless of what you perceive) do xyz to address it. Maybe that’s therapy or additional meds or taking time off, etc. And that if after doing that there is no improvement, he has some kind of red flag to wave at you that says “emergency! this is not tenable! you must do something drastic!” and that you will listen/respond by going to part time or looking for another job, etc.

9 Likes

Right :face_with_spiral_eyes::roll_eyes:

I think plans have somewhat changed. If I can fully support and don’t want to be a sahp, I’m happy to support her in exchange for childcare.

5 Likes

Awkward question, will you actually feel comfortable leaving a toddler in her care?

6 Likes