How Many Ways Can We Cook Rice and Beans?

I make a lazy inauthentic daal to have with rice regularly. Also makes a great baby food, but my picky eater kid refuses it.

1 cup dry red lentils
2 cups stock
1 cup water
Onion/garlic/ginger, to your taste
Oil
Cumin/ paprika/ tumeric/ coriander, to your taste

Fry onion, add garlic and ginger in the oil. Add dry spices. Add lentils, cover in the flavour. Add stock and water. Simmer until a delicious yellowish mush. Eat on rice.

Can leave out most things if you’re really tired and just need cooked lentils on rice. Can also get fancy and add chopped vegetables or frozen spinach.

I am enjoying the ways others eat legumes and rice, and will definitely be making some rice pudding when the weather cools down.

I would definitely eat baked beans on rice.

4 Likes

Sunday we made baked beans using the Rancho Gordo whipple beans from this quarter’s box. Later this week we’re also trying out a pinto bean soup with masa dumplings :yum:

3 Likes

Oh interesting! I assume they’re a drop dumpling? I’ve never attempted those with masa lmk the results!

2 Likes

Yep! Me either. Excited to see how it holds up. I don’t think it will be particularly picturesque lol but I’ll report back.

2 Likes

Drop dumplings are eatin’ food, not photographin’ food, haha.

6 Likes

Today:

Lunch- fajitas (1 bell pepper, 1 zucchini, 1 onion, 1 tomato, black beans, rice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt) I put it over a salad with 1/2 of the worlds most perfect avocado and homemade pico de gallo.

Dinner- not so stuffed peppers (1 zucchini, 1 bell pepper, 1 tomato, black beans, vegan cream cheese, rosemary, thyme) with a side of rosemary mashed potatoes. It was a better combination than I expected.

We are going on a work trip tomorrow so today was “frantically eat down everything that could go bad in the fridge”. If I made a cook book these would not be recipes that make the cut, lol. All it needed to be was sustenance for fueling ourselves today and that mission was accomplished!

Also to make sure veggies didn’t go bad we made pesto (kale, basil, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, salt) and roasted green chilies and acorn squash all now safely in the freezer.

This farm share box is borderline too many veggies for 2 people to eat, especially when 4 of those days are out of town. But it sure is fun to figure out ways to not waste food.

4 Likes

last week i made alison roman’s the stew and had it for lunch over rice several days after. mmm i fucking love chickpeas + coconut milk!

4 Likes

We are big fans of The Stew at casa noodle. Yum!!

2 Likes

This is very very good. I’ve made it before but forgot how good it was. While making it I discovered that not only were we out of both Zhenjiang and balsamic vinegar, so had to use apple cider vinegar. Not only out of vinegars but completely out of all brown rice, and down to around 2 cups of white sushi rice! I’m not sure how this major breakdown of the staples replacement process happened, but it was mildly perturbing to discover.

We’re planning on rice and bean bowls with adzuki beans, tofu, cucumber, jicama, carrot, green onions and avocado sometime this week.

3 Likes

Thank you for mentioning this! I looked it up and realized I had most of the ingredients, so I too made something inspired by ‘the stew’ recipe. It is very very rich and yum. I definitely should make some rice to serve with it.

3 Likes

Breakfast burritos!!! Great way to use pinto or black beans.

This week we made 2 cups of dried pinto beans and now it will be fun to figure out ways to use them. I’m thinking:

• beet and pinto bean burgers
  • potato soup?
  • fajitas?
  • Mexican hummus?
  • refried beans?
  • enchiladas?

Pinto beans are the most difficult for me to use, I feel like they are more specific to Mexican cuisine and harder to branch out with. I am really open to suggestions though!

@madgeylou that stew looks incredible!

4 Likes

I think it is easy to run down staples you don’t buy very often! I just expect them to always be there for me! Lol

I hope you can to a stock up soon, or find other things to eat down in your pantry!

3 Likes

Yes! It’s totally the big staples that I’m shocked about when we run out. I don’t have a container that can fit a full 5 or 10 pound bag of rice so I tend to assume there’s another mason jar somewhere in the cupboard with some more rice in it. It was mostly just shocking that it was two kinds of rice and two vinegars all at once. We bought some balsamic and a small bag of brown rice to tide us over until we make a trip to the Asian market to get our big bags of rice.

2 Likes

Last night I made pineapple black bean salsa to go with jerk chicken! It was fantastic. Pineapple (crushed or tidbits), black beans, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and a pinch of crushed red pepper. You could add red onion too if you don’t have an allergy like we do.

We also make it a lot to go with chili lime shrimp + rice.

3 Likes

I just reorganized our basement to help accommodate for this! Now I know where all of the mason jars are so I can see when they get low. I feel like I need a pantry reorg every 3-6 months as things get used

4 Likes

Tomatillo soup is good with pintos. I also use them in chilis sometimes.

Speaking of, made a damn good chili tonight that would probably be good over brown rice.

1 Like

Last night I made rice in the rice cooker to go with a simple red thai (massman) coconut curry (potato, carrot, cashews, peppers, water chestnut, celery). Rice cookers are amazing btw, if you’re on the fence and you have the room (and eat a shitton of rice like I do) TAKE THE PLUNGE.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much what I do! Every 3 months almost exactly.

1 Like

We just got home, so it is definitely rice and beans time (but also it was rice and beans time on vacation). I cooked chickpeas yesterday, today I will make hummus and not make a curry with them and order in pizza instead. Then tomorrow I will do the curry

5 Likes

We got pizza on day two of being home. Myself and the :lion: ate the cauliflower crust pizza. I went to bed early, exhausted, and he puked all over his room.

While doing his laundry yesterday I started up with the bms. And intense nausea starting at breakfast. Full fledged stomach bug during potty training.

Today I kept in (okay filtered down) a mini can of ginger ale overnight and half a glass of orange juice in the morning. Those doses of hydration and sugar make me a tolerable parent

Also, if we never leave the house or apply clothes, I think potty training will get done

5 Likes