Gym membership- Yea or Nay?

Congrats! Let us know how your gymming goes. :slight_smile:

Yay! I joined a gym about a year ago. My goal is also $5/visit but I haven’t managed that yet. I think I’m currently around $7, which is still ok considering I’m mostly taking classes that would be more expensive outside a gym membership.

2 Likes

Oh that makes sense, of course you should tailor it all to your needs! :slight_smile: I am also vain, haha.

Timely! I’m just about to join a gym at work and this has made me feel better about the decision. I’ve never joined a gym before but I want/ need to learn strength training and do some cardio, and the gym has a current bonus month if I sign up for 6 months this week. I’m paying for a few personal trainer sessions on top of it to get really comfortable with the equipment so I will work out, and then I’ll reassess after membership runs out. For me, the only way I’ll go is if I do it on my “own”/work time, because it’s when I already have childcare sorted and am there 3 days a week, so the work gym was a better deal in terms of actually using it and building the habit right now instead of one close to home, even if it has a creche.

2 Likes

One month update: I’ve been able to get my per visit cost to $4.76 for the first month!!
That’s including an 8 day stretch where I did not go at all, so I don’t think I’ll have trouble keeping to it in the future. It’s been lots of fun and I’m impressed with the variety of classes and exercises I’ve participated in since starting. I’ve taken a Zumba class, aqua yoga, some stretching classes, an aqua class for people with joint issues, strength training and HIIT training.
Very pleased with the decision, thank you all for helping me determine my priorities!

4 Likes

Aqua yoga sounds fun!!
I’ve done a paddle board yoga class (lots of falling in), but I’d love to do some pool-based classes sometime in my life. Something so soothing about being in the water. :slight_smile: *as long as my hair doesn’t get wet.

1 Like

Unfortunately I am a tiny person and my hair always gets wet, even if I stay in the shallower end of the pool. I have considered getting a bathing cap thing, but now just try to schedule it so my hair gets wet on days I was going to wash it anyway.

1 Like

Good call! I used to work the front desk at a float spa and one of the perks was that we got to float for free. It was a neat experience, but even with a swim cap, my hair would get wet.

1 Like

Ive been doing a lot of the classes at my gym, havent managed to get it down as cheap as you though. My gym including pool and classes is $63 a month. Ive been averaging about $7 a visit, I am hoping to get it lower I had extra work hours last month and a cold so that limited my time.

1 Like

Good work! I’m currently at $6.14/session for the year. That is almost entirely yoga/pilates classes; I really need to branch out in my activity.

2 Likes

My half is about $50 a month so I’ve got a lower base cost that I’m working with here. It helps that I have often told myself that I should just go to soak in the hot tub and then when I get there I feel guilted into actually working out.

2 Likes

My boyfriend and I go to a rock climbing gym for $85/mo each (steep!). The gym also has machines and yoga classes, but obviously the main attraction is the climbing walls. It’s a unique facility to practice a hobby we enjoy, that also happens to support health/fitness goals. I think this is true for you (OP) as well: your husband enjoys swimming, and you enjoy the classes. You can do fitness other ways, but you can’t do those activities other ways. Of course, it does come down to getting your money’s worth with how much you use it. Sounds like it’s working out great for you!

3 Likes